Well, it's official

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
I'll be headed up to Oklahoma City next fall for law school. Just got my denial letter from Texas Tech tonight. Anyone want a partner in a plane for a few years?

Congrats on Law School Admission. Wait until you are a 2L before taking on any outside activities like family, watching football, flying airplanes, etc. Except for law school the years 1993 - 1996 are basically a complete blank.

I'll be headed up to Oklahoma City next fall for law school. Just got my denial letter from Texas Tech tonight. Anyone want a partner in a plane for a few years?

Well at least you're headed down the path. As much as I would like to go through law school, I think my future is in a cubicle banging out code for a little less money. Good luck!

Thanks guys. That will be a long year with no aviation in it. :frown3:

Rick Durden, a columnist for avweb and attorney worked his way through law-school as a freight-dog.

Couple of pieces of advice:

1. Grades do matter.

2. Never miss class.

3. Don't buy other folks' outlines.

4. If you get the chance, take a trial advocacy class (one where they make you act out being in court, and video it). Be prepared to be humiliated at all your irritating mannerisms and the like. Fix them.

5. Remember: Law is a very inbred profession, so you are going to meet a lot of self-absorbed jerks. Don't become one.

Congrats on Law School Admission. Wait until you are a 2L before taking on any outside activities like family, watching football, flying airplanes, etc. Except for law school the years 1993 - 1996 are basically a complete blank.
I'm going to Stetson in the fall and I've been reading 1L by Scott Turow. I must be crazy because it sounds like a lot of fun to me and I'm looking forward to starting classes. I do hope I'm able to maintain a healthier balance than he did during the first semester.

Any words of wisdom?

Good luck. Hold onto the rejection letters - when you're on the bench one day, they'll be worth framing and hanging in chambers.

I'm actually not joking. :)

1. Grades do matter.

2. Never miss class.

4. If you get the chance, take a trial advocacy class (one where they make you act out being in court, and video it). Be prepared to be humiliated at all your irritating mannerisms and the like. Fix them.

5. Remember: Law is a very inbred profession, so you are going to meet a lot of self-absorbed jerks. Don't become one.

Thank you for the words of wisdom. That trial class sounds interesting. At the moment I think I want to do litigation so I will need all the practice I can get. And I'm sure going to do everything I can to avoid becoming one of those guys in number 5.

Good luck. Hold onto the rejection letters - when you're on the bench one day, they'll be worth framing and hanging in chambers.

I'm actually not joking. :)

I like the way you think. It's hanging over my desk tacked to the wall right now.:D

1. Grades do matter.

They do indeed. For better or for worse, the legal profession puts high stock in things like grades and being on law review (I put no stock in them, because I've found that academic success and ability as an attorney are almost always inversely proportionate).

In my eyes, it's unfortunate, because law school doesn't teach you jack about actually being a lawyer. But, the reality is that you'll have far more option if you're in the top half of your class than if you're in the bottom.

But, don't get too caught up in it - if your experience is anything like mine, you'll find that you're surrounded by a bunch of mentally unhealthy people (that continues into the profession), in no small part because they get caught up in the rat race. You don't want any part of that.

2. Never miss class.

Also agreed - if you're not on a scholarship, figure out the cost of each class session you attend. That will make you not want to miss any.

Agreed again.

On top of that, most states have laws/rules allowing 3rd-year students to appear in court under supervision of an attorney. Try to do that through something like a prosecutor's office - invaluable experience.

Truer, and wiser, words were never spoken. Having the occasional person say something like, "well you're not the typical attorney at all" is worth all of the money I could be making as the typical attorney.

Finally, keep in mind that the first year is like trying to drink out of a fire hose. There's a lot of information there; you can try as hard as you want, but you won't get 90% of it until you're out of school.

I like the way you think. It's hanging over my desk tacked to the wall right now.:D

Hehe.

I'll admit that my single biggest regret is not applying to Harvard, simply to have the rejection letter. If I go on to do something noteworthy, which is doubtful to quite doubtful, I'd love to have that hanging on a wall somewhere. :)

Anyway, when you start, feel free to shoot me a PM if you want some pointers on the 1st-year classes. What amazed me after only a year out of school was how simple everything from first year actually was, yet how complicated it seemed at the time.

You're going to be reading cases decided in the 1940's and earlier (International Shoe, anyone?) - the language is damn near indecipherable, especially when you have to read 10 of them a night. I can literally explain all of the concepts that you're going to be reading about - be it personal jurisdiction, negligence, promissory estoppel, whatever - in 5 sentences or less. Might be of some help come exam time. :)

Having the occasional person say something like, "well you're not the typical attorney at all" is worth all of the money I could be making as the typical attorney.

Sounds like being a pastor...I take it as a compliment when I hear others say, "you're not the typical pastor at all."

Finally, keep in mind that the first year is like trying to drink out of a fire hose. There's a lot of information there; you can try as hard as you want, but you won't get 90% of it until you're out of school.

Sounds like seminary!

Sounds like being a pastor...I take it as a compliment when I hear others say, "you're not the typical pastor at all."

Sounds like seminary!

btw...the previous post was from Mrs. Bockelman...forgot I was in his POA account...lol

btw...the previous post was from Mrs. Bockelman...forgot I was in his POA account...lol

Good thing!

A bunch of Braniff International pilots decided to form their own "church" during the 70s, to avoid taxes. It did not turn out well for them- they got all kinds of introductions to the legal system, and some likely needed a subscription to the Soap-on-a-rope Club.

Good thing!

A bunch of Braniff International pilots decided to form their own "church" during the 70s, to avoid taxes. It did not turn out well for them- they got all kinds of introductions to the legal system, and some likely needed a subscription to the Soap-on-a-rope Club.

If you take the out the two "f's", which I presume stand for "double FAIL," you have the necessary ingredients for the word "brain," but it's not quite there. Which seems to describe those pilots perfectly.

My sense of humor makes me laugh, at least. :)

I will definitely be taking you up on that offer. I'm a big fan of making my life a little easier any way possible. :yesnod:

Hehe.

I'll admit that my single biggest regret is not applying to Harvard, simply to have the rejection letter. If I go on to do something noteworthy, which is doubtful to quite doubtful, I'd love to have that hanging on a wall somewhere. :)

Anyway, when you start, feel free to shoot me a PM if you want some pointers on the 1st-year classes. What amazed me after only a year out of school was how simple everything from first year actually was, yet how complicated it seemed at the time.

You're going to be reading cases decided in the 1940's and earlier (International Shoe, anyone?) - the language is damn near indecipherable, especially when you have to read 10 of them a night. I can literally explain all of the concepts that you're going to be reading about - be it personal jurisdiction, negligence, promissory estoppel, whatever - in 5 sentences or less. Might be of some help come exam time. :)

Back