Vintage Restoration Question

JasonCT

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JasonCT
So I have stumbled on a project that I am rather interested in.

Its a 1947 Stinson 108-2 with a 165 Franklin that is complete from Prop to Tail.

However the plane was metalized in the 70's --- Can I "demetalize" the plane and return it to its fabric wonder? My thinking is I would like to strip it down to its cage and start from "ground up"!

Anyone know this model of plane, engine, etc. Would love to hear your comments.

CapeCodJay said:
So I have stumbled on a project that I am rather interested in.

Its a 1947 Stinson 108-2 with a 165 Franklin that is complete from Prop to Tail.

However the plane was metalized in the 70's --- Can I "demetalize" the plane and return it to its fabric wonder? My thinking is I would like to strip it down to its cage and start from "ground up"!

Anyone know this model of plane, engine, etc. Would love to hear your comments.

Be prepared for a big lesson in wood, welding, fabric covering, painting, but the thing that would worry me is if the wing ribs were ruined by driving rivets thru them.

http://www.whidbey.com/fairchild-nc19143/

I may have to re manufacture some wing ribs and plan on doing all the other stuff.

Great looking Fairchild!

What do you mean 'project'? If it is in good flying condition I would leave it the h alone!

now it is a complete plane from prop to tail - but been in a barn and not flown for about 35 years. A complete project.

Troy Whistman said:
Has she flown yet, Tom? How much more to go? 99.5% done, 90% to go?

I have fabric on both wings but still have to stitch the left wing, the fuel tanks were in for fit and leak check, and now are being fitted with new fuel gauges, and will go back in tomarow, then the tank covers can be put on, they are fabric too. and all primed and sanded.

The wiring is about all complete. radios work, seats are being done at Oregon Aero.

we'll get there one piece at a time.

Tim said:
You can but:dunno: why would you????????

Keeps you out of the streets, and busy when it gets dark at 1300

Back