US History tour--need advice

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
My brother will be taking his boys, 8 and 11 yrs, on a history tour of Philadelphia, Boston, and DC. He's allowing one week around the Thanksgiving holiday, preferably concluded before the holiday. He plans on driving but I would think the train might be a viable option for some portions. What advice do you have regarding special points of interest, favorite restaurants and other local knowledge, and direction of tour of those three cities. Of course, the weather.

I'm thinking fly into Philly, DC next, then Boston to see where it all began. This direction would allow a 'building momentum' as the previous city lays the ground work for the next. It would also be efficient use of time. Flying into DC to start...I don't know. What do y'all think?

7-8 nights split among 3 cities is a little rushed, but on the other hand kids like to keep moving I guess. I'd fly and train the whole thing - no need for a car I wouldn't expect.

Figure arrival Friday late evening in DC, Sat-Sun-Mon morning in DC. That really leaves just two days in DC because the morning of Monday will be prepping to get out of town - breakfast, maybe one more sight, and out the door. Train to Philly, arrive Monday afternoon. Dinner and a stroll. Tues-Wed Philly, leave Thursday afternoon. Friday-Saturday Boston and then Sunday the flight home. You'd have part of the day Sunday to see something but also remember Sunday after TG is going to be mayhem.

Pretty much two full days in each city with a part day for something short and sweet before traveling to the next place. Certainly doable but he'd have to prioritize the sights, too.

Wow..you're asking alot!

I taught HS History for 5 years and took many clases to both Philadelphia and DC.

Age matters -- while my Juniors and Seniors surprised themselves with how much they enjoyed the National Gallery of Art (DC), Freshmen and Sophomores were less impressed.

If I had to pick one place (in the two cities I know) for kids that age, it would have to be Independence Hall in Philly and National Air and Space in DC.

Second would be Valley Forge (near philly) and Smithsonian American History in DC.

Seven days wouldn't be enough for Boston alone. Of course warmer weather is better for the historic sites such as Plymouth, Concord, Lexington, and Boston itself.

I have to say - if there is any way he could cut one city out, he'd probably be happier. Two days per city, plus extended train travel, isn't a vacation it's a forced march.

Given the time of year I would stay south.

Beth's right - 7 days is awfully short. You'll lose a lot of that traveling. (and rush through things - that kind of bum's rush will breed resentment by the kids later).

I'd do Boston -> Philly -> DC (in order of history). A lot of the backdrop that lead to the Philly events began in Boston.

Boston can be several days itself. If you allow 3 days, you'll hit most of the highlights, but not really in-dpeth.

Train to Philly on the Acela is about 4 hours. More for the regional. You could spend that much time on airlines, too, especially if the weather goes down. Thanksgiving is hit-miss weather wise. Southwest has non-stops from Manchester and PVD to PHL. US Air goes Boston-Philly. The train ride through Connecticut has some nice views - I can't say the same for the NY-PHL segment. Driving can be 6 hours, depending on NY traffic.

Philly has a lot of stuff. You could spend several days there. Independence Mall, Valley Forge (a day itself), the Franklin Institute is worth a stop, as are some of the other museums. Chadd's Ford (home of the Wyeth artists) is worth a stop.

Train to DC is about 90 minutes (Acela), longer on the regional. By car, 3 hours usually does it - unless you do a Friday rush hour, in which case it could take 5 hours or more. Commercial flight is impractical - expensive and short - better to train or drive. Or even take the MegaBus (or it's ilk).

It's about 2 driving hours longer, but if you have the time, you can head out Rt. 30 (or the Turnpike) to Gettysburg, thence south on Route 15 to DC. That takes you through part of Penn Dutch country and a major Civil War site. (That's the route I took a couple of weeks ago, very nice ride, about 5 hours with a few short stops).

DC can be a week itself. The tourist stuff includes Capitol, Monument, Lincoln and Jefferson memorial, Smithsonian (American History), Mt. Vernon, Old Town Alexandria, Manassas Battlefield, Arlington Cemetary, etc. White House tours need to be pre-booked (with very, very limited availability) - the BEST way to arrange that is to contact your congressional office.

Baltimore is also worth a day or two. Ft. McHenry, the Inner Harbor with the revolutionary war ships, and a stop at Fort Meade for the spy/intel museum.

Were it me, I'd do half the week in Boston, then half in Philly. Remember that most stuff will be closed Thanksgiving Day. A second trip of 7-10 days to do DC, Baltimore and Williamsburg.

Don't forget to leave time for fun!

Baltimore is also worth a day or two. Ft. McHenry, the Inner Harbor with the USS Constellation, an early (1797) US Navy warship, and a stop at Fort Meade for the spy/intel museum.

All good info but since this is a history thread, gotta correct this one line.

:smile:

AFAIK, there is no vessel from the Revolution in Baltimore, and probably the only one intact is the gunboat Philadelphia, at the American History Museum in DC.

Richard: I have given to many tours of Philly to count ( Ask Nick about his one hour layover at PHL tour LOL)

There is a TON of stuff to see in Philly and I'm sure Boston as well. The amout of time your brother has aloted is really not conducive to seeing three cities. If it were me I'd cut out DC and do that at a later time and include Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown.

Philly and Boston are great for Revolutionary War stuff and the outskirts of Philly and Northern VA are also great for Civil War info.

Living in the Philly area and haveing been to Boston too many times to count I think Philly has a bit more to see and more activites. But I agree, I'd start in Boston do he whole Paul Revere, North Church thing, Check out Quincy Market, Lexington and Concord are great and will be beautiful then. Salem is interesting as well but the history is a bit older.

So as for Philly. The absolute first thing they must do is go to the Independnce Visitors Center. I have to say the Park Service and the City really got this one right. The Independence Visitors center has EVERYTHING you need to plan great tours in one place. You can get tickets there for everything you want to see. The Center also has its own free exhibits and re-enactors that tell stories teach lessons etc. They really need to go there before anywhere else. The US Constitution Center is also a MUST!! It is awesome and the show they have is fascinating.

Other than those they should see Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell of course. The guides and Park Rangers are just amazing. The Ben Franklin house is also neat. the house iteslf is actually gone but there is a map of the city as Franklin knew it at its location. The acutal museum is underground and has some neat stuff.

They can also go to the Franklin Post office on Market Street. This was the very first post office in the US and is still functioning today. They can mail post cards to themselves and get the cancellation stamp that is very "colonial looking" Very often folks from this area will bring their invitation to big events like Weddings, Bar Mitzvahs etc to that post office to get the Franklin Cancellation stamp. Its pretty cool. The Betsy Ross house is neat as is the house where Jefferson Wrote the declaration of Independance ( totally free) the house is not that impressive and they added a huge concrete ugly addition during the bicentenial but to stand in the room where the declaration was penned WOW it give me the chills the same with Congress hall in Independence Hall.

Most of what they will want to see is between front street and say 7th. I have not done it but a carriage ride through " old city is kind of neat" the houses along Pine Street and the adjoining streets were there before the revolution and are still occupied today. Alfreths Alley could be Elfreths not sure is thought to be the first street in the city and is really neat very colonial.

If they can get out of the City Valley Forge Park is beautiful and packed with history but that may be a bit much. If they are here for three days do two days in the city and one in VF. If they have a FULL day in the city then going to Valley Forge on the second is well worth it even if they only have two days. VF is about and hour drive from Center City. There are just too many museums to even name. Ya don't want the kids to get over load though so your brother should be careful.

Food: The City Tavern is where the delegates to the Continental Congress and Constitutional conventions ate. Its still open but under new ownership ;) Waiters are all in colonial garb and food is sort of from that era, But there are so many great fun places to eat in Philly, Chinatown is awesome as are many of the Italian Restaurants in South Phillly Dante & Luigis, ( they may still have bullet holes in the wall from the mob hits, I like Villa D'Roma ( took the folks from the flybq there a few years ago) and Mara's. Not fancy places at all but great red gravey restaurants. Cheesesteaks of course.

Travel, A car is good if they want to get to Valley Forge. If not I'd say SWA from Manchester NH or KPVD is a good way to go. Train is ok but just as expensive.

Skipping New York City, former capital of the USA (1785-1790) and Tory stronghold?

Of course, that's adding more to an already busy trip.

Adam nailed it.

Besides Fraunces Tavern, what else is there to see? NYC regularly bulldozes its history.
:rolleyes:

And the others are pristine? Most of Boston harbor that existed during the Revolutionary War has been filled in. Philadelphia has a lot still standing. Washington DC- came later. None of the places will be as they were.

Near NYC is West Point- strategic point on the river, Benedict Arnold was trying to give the plans of the fort there when he was caught IIRC.

Adam has a good list in his post.

And the others are pristine? Most of Boston harbor that existed during the Revolutionary War has been filled in. Philadelphia has a lot still standing. Washington DC- came later. None of the places will be as they were.

Near NYC is West Point- strategic point on the river, Benedict Arnold was trying to give the plans of the fort there when he was caught IIRC.

At least the others pretend to be authentic in a Disney sorta way.

Benedict Arnold led the march on Quebec (to defeat), defeated Burgoyne at Saratoga, and led a delaying action on Lake Champlain that helped slow the British advance.

Arnold's name is synonomous with "traitor," but before his treachery he was the best combat leader in the Revolution.

Colonial Williamsburg is probably the best preserved of the Revolutionary era places. Jamestown doesn't really exist as a town - it's a historic site - but is nearby W'burg.

Elsewhere in Virginia is Monticello, Mount Vernon, Fredericksburg Battlefield, and Richmond (bring your Stars and Bars).

West Point is interesting - I used to live across the river in Cold Spring, NY.

There's also Mystic seaport along the Connecticut coast.

Thank you to everyone. What awesome responses! I'll have my bro read this thread tonight, I'm positive he'll be delighted.

At least the others pretend to be authentic in a Disney sorta way.

True. NYC doesn't try to pretend it's anything other than modern NYC.

Benedict Arnold led the march on Quebec (to defeat), defeated Burgoyne at Saratoga, and led a delaying action on Lake Champlain that helped slow the British advance.

Arnold's name is synonomous with "traitor," but before his treachery he was the best combat leader in the Revolution.
Yep - he was the best before he turned traitor.

Well john i can make another suggestion city...Harrisburg Pa............. we have a lot of things around here like the Civil War Musuem,a bridge that was blownup to keep the Rebels from crossing the Susquehanna river and if you'ld like Baltimore is not that far away ,also Gettysburg battle field is about 1 hour drive. and on the newer side we have Fort Indiantown Gap about 1/2 hour away. If you need more info on this area call me 717-554-8247 Dave G

Back