Upgrading Class 3 to Class 1: SSRI Pathway 1

C

Charles Bennett

Hi there,

I currently have a 3rd class medical which I received back in 2021. After waiting four months from a deferral due to having a history of a single episode depression diagnosis that was resolved, I was applicable for pathway 1 and the regional flight surgeon ended up issuing a regular 3rd without a special issuance. My outcome was remarkable given the ambiguity of pathway 1 at the time (Thank you Dr. Bruce).

I now am considering a career change and want to pursue a 1st class medical now that I am starting my commercial rating.

My question is, am I going to need to jump through hoops again, get deferred, and risk having to get re-certified due to my previously declared diagnose or will reporting PREVIOUSLY DECLARED NO CHANGE exempt me from this? If it does and doesn’t reopen the same can of worms, I would like to proceed forward but if does, I’ll happily be a weekend flyer that proceeds with Basic Med.

While I want to fly commercially, the idea of jeopardizing my ability to fly over a short term diagnosis is something I am not willing to bet on. I would rather go basic med before my medical expires at that point.

Back