Unleaded 100 octane AvGas update

I'm VERY familiar with RO, it's a very energy intensive way to desalinize water. OTOH, using geothermal or nuclear energy, you can take waste heat from the energy production process and use it to distill the water. Then when you transport the fuel, each KG transports 9 liters of water with it as well. If we're going to continue growing the population, we need to get a lot more efficient and waste less energy.

No change in my electric bill from the little RO system I installed earlier this year. The water tastes flat though.

No change in my electric bill from the little RO system I installed earlier this year. The water tastes flat though.

That isn't a desalination grade unit, the desalinization units run 600psi pumps. With a 5hp motor I can power a 1200 gallon per day unit.

That isn't a desalination grade unit, the desalinization units run 600psi pumps. With a 5hp motor I can power a 1200 gallon per day unit.

Yep. 5 HP isn't a lot of power either. The energy to make that 5 HP over a day is a lot less than that required to distill that water. If you had a larger system, like city or country-sized desalinization plants, you could reduce that energy by 1/2 by recovering the pressure needed to drive water across that membrane.

Do the math and see if breaking hydrogen-oxygen bonds requires more or less energy.

Back