TX First Lady in B-25 Incident

Telemakhos

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Telemakhos
Just the type of notoriety GA doesn't need.
Apparently the B-25 was taxiing to the runway when the nose gear collapsed, and there was an engine fire, probably the result of a combination prop strike/ fuel hose fitting getting jarred loose.
Funny that the article states "When the aircraft reached the end of the runway, the front landing [sic] collapsed, causing the right engine to catch fire."
Who knew that a gear collapse cause engine fires? Anyway, the (very brief) article:
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7493211.html

Are you kidding?? Nose gear collapses are the single biggest causes of engine explosions. It's a good thing they weren't near an elementary school.

:rolleyes:

Are you kidding?? Nose gear collapses are the single biggest causes of engine explosions. It's a good thing they weren't near an elementary school.

:rolleyes:

There would had been no fire if the airplane stalled.

That's what I'm wondering. I don't think it was Pacific Prowler- they were supposed to be at Tyndall this weekend.

It may have been the one painted in Russian Lend-Lease markings - I believe it was scheduled to appear at the Encinal show. Something doesn't seem right abouth the details in the news story. FAA prelim isn't out and since this was apparently located at a private field, not sure if the FAA was notified. This will be interesting.....

It may have been the one painted in Russian Lend-Lease markings - I believe it was scheduled to appear at the Encinal show. Something doesn't seem right abouth the details in the news story. FAA prelim isn't out and since this was apparently located at a private field, not sure if the FAA was notified. This will be interesting.....
I thought notification was a requirement with substantial damage, like damage over $25K.
I'd think a torched Wright R-2600 radial would be more than $25K in damage, and the incident would be reported, private field of not.
Also, I remember reading somewhere that there were some classes of occurrences that needed to be reported, like mid-air collisions (no matter the outcome or severity)-- I thought fires fell into this class. Maybe it's different because the aircraft was not in flight at the time of the fire.

the damage dollar level is for damage to property other than the aircraft. I *think* the fire clause is for "in flight fires". usually landing gear up or gear collapse sort of damage does not have to be reported as an accident. they are non-reportable incidents. NTSB Part 830 has the answers.

Why didn't the pilot just push the "wing eject" button to get rid of the fuel filled wings, then there wouldn't have been a fire!

Well, apparently this one did get the NTSB's attention:

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20110330X53624&key=1

From the report:
The pilot and co-pilot provided written statements that the co-pilot inadvertently raised the landing gear handle at about 60 knots airspeed during the take-off roll. The landing gear then began to retract and the airplane settled onto the runway surface and slid to a stop.

That just sucks right there. I'm not sure how you 'inadvertantly' retract the gear in a B-25. It is a 3-step process.

Back