Training Crash

Clip4

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Cli4ord

Some observations:

1. “Shaffer-Ray made the comment the right rudder input on the ground was delayed and felt different than when we were at KGAI.” The student tells me the rudder doesn’t seem right, I am checking it out. Yet the CFI doesn’t determine if there was a problem. Then the pilots observe a flap selection issue with the plane and ignore that too. Airplanes will give you warnings if you will listen. Was this a mechanical issue? Maybe. Rule 1, don’t take a sick plane into the sky. Rule 2, discontinue the flight when a mechanical issue occurs.

2. The CFI could have added some risk management and margin of safety to this maneuver by having the student land at the aim point vs the end of the runway - at least for this pilot’s first attempt. Did the CFI first demonstrate this manuver and had this pilot ever did a power off 180?

3. The CFI let a simulated emergency decay and turn into a real one.

4. The 600 hour CFI is extremely shocked this event happened considering his whooping 600 hours total time and now he is willing to get further training. (Please FAA give me a 709 and don’t take certificate action)

While some may argue this was a crap happened flight - in my view the CFI is responsible for this accident.

Last edited:
Your writing style is confusing. Can't tell what's a quote, what's paraphrased, and what your own words are.

I once found a flight school airplane with a rudder that only went to the right half the amount it was supposed to. It had been flying for months like that.

That said, I doubt there was anything wrong with this airplane. Seeing the aircraft lumbering through the air at high AoA, I knew what was coming next. In the airline business, we call that an "undesired aircraft state" - something that a pilot should never allow happen.

When I see stuff like this it makes me think, I am so lucky to fly with my best friend who is a 25000hr standards check airmen. Very lucky. Thank you Greg

Links to the reports:

CFI waited too long before assuming command. Further his statement seems to indicate failure to understand basic flight principles.
CFI did a classic botched go around and stalled it in.

You've got a huge (for a 172) runway at DMV and they hadn't used much of it. No need to exceed the critical angle. Even without climbing you're over the runway while trying to get speed. Worst outcome, chop it and fly in on to the ground.

2. The CFI could have added some risk management and margin of safety to this maneuver by having the student land at the aim point vs the end of the runway - at least for this pilot’s first attempt. Did the CFI first demonstrate this manuver and had this pilot ever did a power off 180?
Question: What is the “standard” for where to land during a power-off 180?

When there’s “plenty” of runway vs. the plane’s needed distance, is it OK to drop the plane into the middle of the runway and completely ignore the normal touchdown targets? Would that get you DQ’d during a checkride, or would it be proper ADM to minimize risk?

When there’s “plenty” of runway vs. the plane’s needed distance, is it OK to drop the plane into the middle of the runway and completely ignore the normal touchdown targets? Would that get you DQ’d during a checkride, or would it be proper ADM to minimize risk?
You pick the target, like “beginning of 3rd stripe” or “start of 1k ft markers”.

If you’re trying to demonstrate a 180 power off maneuver for a commercial checkride, it’s a fail to miss the target -0 ft/+200 ft. Think of it this way - you’re in a glider, you can’t go around, you got 1 shot.

During training and even during the practical exam, do whatever you need to stay safe, but you botched the maneuver (probably way back before crossing the threshold). Don’t let it turn into a real emergency.

Last edited:
When I first watched that video I assumed it was a student pilot solo.
Then I was really surprised to learn a it was a flight review! wow!

Some observations:

1. “Shaffer-Ray made the comment the right rudder input on the ground was delayed and felt different than when we were at KGAI.” The student tells me the rudder doesn’t seem right, I am checking it out. Yet the CFI doesn’t determine if there was a problem. Then the pilots observe a flap selection issue with the plane and ignore that too. Airplanes will give you warnings if you will listen. Was this a mechanical issue? Maybe. Rule 1, don’t take a sick plane into the sky. Rule 2, discontinue the flight when a mechanical issue occurs.

3. The CFI let a simulated emergency decay and turn into a real one.

4. The 600 hour CFI is extremely shocked this event happened considering his whooping 600 hours total time and now he is willing to get further training. (Please FAA give me a 709 and don’t take certificate action)

While some may argue this was a crap happened flight - in my view the CFI is responsible for this accident.

I have 5000+hrs of instruction logged, my thoughts….
1. If a pilot tells me a control doesn’t feel right, the 1st thing I do is take the controls and check it for myself to figure out if there is really an issue, or if it is just the pilots perception. This instructor probably should have done the same. I am not going to terminate the lesson, without evaluating myself, unless the pilot says they think we should.

2. I would have done exactly what this instructor did, I want the pilot to see the results of his set up and make it very clear that he didn’t leave himself enough margin to make it to the runway. I would also like the pilot to realize he isn’t going to make it. But I would have taken over and added power sooner to prevent the touching down short. It is a flight review, the pilot is demonstrating to me, unless he asks for instruction, or demonstrates he needs instruction.

If I know there is no lip on the runway and it is smooth in the area before the pavement I might even let them touch down there. But often the lip on the runway prevents doing this safely.

3. It really never became an emergency, at least not until it was too late to do anything about it. The only real failure was teh failure to maintain airspeed on the go around. This is typically in part caused by use of full flaps during the go around, but that wasn’t the case in this event.

4. Admitting he was responsible and willing to get instruction is exactly the attitude a pilot involved in an event the FAA want to see. It will likely mean he won’t get a 709 ride, especially if he can show the FAA he has already recieved some additional instuction. The primary reason the FAA wants 709 rides is to force the pilot to recieve additional instruction, if the pilot has already don’t so there is little reason for the 709 ride, and is most cases the FAA doesn’t want the liability of flying with a GA pilot.

The standard for the commercial practical test for a power off 180 accuracy landing is on or within 200 feet beyond the specified point, but why would you set the Commercial PTS standard for a private pilot on Lesson #2 of a flight review?

Generally, if you are doing power off 180 for a flight review, it is not a power off 180 accuracy landing. It’s a power off 180 to landing to the first 1/3 of the runway. At GAI, that’s first 1,000 ft.

Last edited:
Unless the POH called for it, going flaps 20 to 10 didn’t help. It just removed lift thereby compounding the problem. Maybe muscle memory from going flaps 30/40 to 20 on go-arounds…

If my engine fails in the pattern, I'm going straight for a landable piece of runway.
I would accept a landable piece of airport property.

I have known of a couple pilots that did a 180 and landed on the ramp after an engine failure after takeoff. Both times it was a paved airport with a large enough ramp area to land.

Late decision to take the aircraft, especially if under the proferred rationalization that 'oh I'm just trying to create a teaching moment', it's a boilerplate instructor error, not student error. The former rationalization is a cope anyways; a greenhorn instructor largely lacks the higher degree situational awareness to lord over a mistake he's purposely allowing to develop. They're just straight up behind the aircraft right along their student. At any rate, we spend an outsized amount of time at PIT (usaf pilot training program where we make instructors) teaching to recognize and build the candidate's eye for that timing. It's an art not a science admitedly.

To wit, the reason we don't do formation landings anymore is because a high time instructor never took it from the student on a botched flare, and balled up two airplanes, killing himself and the student in the process, almost killing the other two in the lead aircraft. I say this in a military-centric forum and it's fighting words, but it's nonetheless true. In fairness, that was an error of complacency, which is what gets people in my demographic (high instructor time) killed. The accident in this thread is not one of those. If the stated experience is as listed, this is a low-experience error, which is why the civilian primary flight instruction sector sucks and doesn't pay squat. Pennywise pounds foolish.

It seems like it would be an art, but actually it isn’t.

All CFI verbalization must precise and early enough in the sequence of events for the listener to comprehend and act. All CFI intervention must be initiated early enough in the sequence of events that the intervention is effective - even if the student does something unexpected or atmospheric conditions change.

There are several human factors that come into play - inexperience, ego, complacency and fatigue topping the list.

Sure, I stipulate on the semantics your honor, if it gets the conversation moving.

I merely meant 'art' in that the timing is variable based on all the listed above and more. Not all students have the same reaction time, not all IPs have the same recognition time, and environmentals also play a factor (fatigue, hydration levels). There is no boilerplate distance and time to satisfy the "early enough to allow intervention AND learning to occur".

I will say, civilian CFI upgrade instruction isn't doing such a hot job these days. I think it's a joke they think an endorsement to go take the FOI will change anything on the applied safety front. Bit of a blind leading the blind in that space, and I say that having gone through the civilian training to become a CFI myself; I wasn't a "mil conversion" CFI ticket grabber. Point being, I've personally experienced both flavors of instructor developer. I'm not impressed, and I'm not surprised one bit about case studies like the video accident in question.

The FAA thinks you should be a CFI for 2 years before you can teach other people to be CFIs. I always thought it would make sense to require a person to be a pilot for 2 years before they could teach people to be pilots. Alas, the FAA wants to get rid of the former requirement. Why they think it's a good idea is beyond me.

The current system encourages rote memorization for both written tests and oral exams. One can pass all checkrides private through CFI without much depth of understanding, or ability to correlate, the material they're expected to master. I've seen CFIs let their students get on the back side of the power curve and not even understand what was going on. The crash that prompted this thread seems to be one of those. Poor plane.

All CFI intervention must be initiated early enough in the sequence of events that the intervention is effective - even if the student does something unexpected or atmospheric conditions change.
Yes. From the Canadian Flight Instructor Guide, under the discussion of Primacy:

4. While the student is performing an exercise, supervise the actions very closely. Stop the student as soon as any performance error is noticed and teach the correct method. Close supervision means - NEVER allow a student to make an error during the initial stages of training. Think of how you would go about training a student to defuse a live bomb.

… we spend an outsized amount of time at PIT ….
I assume Air Etcetera uses the same criteria as ACC on gradesheet where a ‘2’ is the standard for a student to meet and continue to meet.

Does your command require a line pilot ‘4’ as a pre-req for IPUG? In ACC, I thought that was a high standard but given the responsibility and speed at which things happen, I understood the rationale after going to teach at the FTU.

It takes a lot of experiences to truly understand how far you can let the student dork it up without bending metal or killing people. When I left the FTU, I walked away with a newfound respect for the FAIPs. I questioned that more and more the longer my career stretched.

Back