Tool box recommendations for future A&P mechanic

Ace Hardware still sells individual craftsman tools and has a good selection, though I don't think they carry individual sockets.

When Lowes bought the Craftsman brand, it created a big legal mess. Sears sold the brand but was still trying to sell the tools. Sears is basically a dead company living on the fumes of its decaying corporate corpse. Quite a fall for those of us who can remember the Sears catalog being the ultimate wish list as kids. But Lowes has reinvigorated the Craftsman brand as a competitor to Ryobi.

I read somewhere that the parent company for Craftsman (Stanley?) tried to bring hand tool production back to the US, and built a factory in Texas, but they failed and shuttered it without ever producing a single wrench or socket.

Edit: news story on Craftsman factory in Texas here
Sad and interesting reading. Thanks for the news link.

After reading this thread, I went and replaced my cheapo screwdrivers with old school craftsman clear handled ones. Maybe not the best but a step up from the garbage I was using.

What matters the most is the bit. Most of the time I use an inexpensive HF ratcheting screwdriver, but I buy good quality ACR bits to use with it and replace them when they're worn.

I like the long shank on a phillips tip screwdriver. It gives me more leverage and gives me a speed driver as I spin the shank when the screw is loose. You become very good with it after a while.

I have a torque wrench comparator/ calibration device.

On several occasions many folks in the class would bring their

Torque Wrenches in to compare.

The Harbor Freight version agreed with all the rest.

The 1/4 version is quite handy.
:yeahthat:

I have a couple of HF torque wrenches and check the calibration before I use them. They're always accurate and repeatable.

I used to use Craftsman torque wrenches. I had one fail and when I took it back to Sears they told me it wasn't a "hand tool" and therefore not under warranty. I replaced it with a HF. When I did have a HF fail a couple of years ago, I took it into HF, the young lady at the register took it and tossed it into a box, then told me to grab another one. No muss, no fuss - just the way Sears used to be.

Just visited a HF store, Lowes and Home Depot. I was most impressed with the HF toolboxes for quality and price. Full disclosure, I have the A&P but never really used it professionally. Snap On boxes are too expensive, full stop. Buy good tools and cry once. I can't stress enough the need for good organization of your tools and the importance of having a system that allows for inventorying them at the end of the day. I've spent way too much time looking for a tool because of a lack of organization and you don't want to leave a tool rattling around in an airframe or engine cowling after finishing a job because you lost track of it.

Back in the 80s I mail ordered plenty of stuff from HF like a drill press, hydraulic press, porta power and other equipment.
I followed in my old boss's footsteps as he had the same equipment from HF or what was the other Japan/tool importer?
I think back in those days we thought it was coming from Japan? Pretty sure it was not china in those days.
It has served me well, no complaints with the old equipment.

Now that stuff is a step or 2 better than what you can get today from HF? IMO

10-20 years ago we got our own HF store 1/2 mile from the house and work. There is another one 1/2 mile from the airport.
I don't go there anymore, tired of the cheap crap.
Like disposable rubber gloves that rotted in the box before I could use them all. Plus they split too easy even when they were fresh.
IMO do not buy anything electric from them if you want something to last.

The only thing I haven't regretted buying from them in the last 20 years is the General tool boxes. Mine are 15 years old now and I bet today's boxes are not as good as they were 15 years ago?

Last edited:
...The only thing I haven't regretted buying from them in the last 20 years is the General tool boxes. Mine are 15 years old now and I bet today's boxes are not as good as they were 15 years ago?...
I bought the 57 inch one 3 or 4 years ago and it's a pretty good rollaway. Better than the Kobalt or Craftsman ones at Lowes.

With a HF rolling chest, make sure all the drawers are closed and latched before moving, having a 72” tip over makes a hell of a mess!

Back