Took a kid up for his first flight; disappointed.

Have patience. Sometimes the quiet ones are deeply absorbing the experience.

This was me during my first flight. My dad's work buddy took me up in his Taylorcraft when I was about 13 or so. It was my first flight and I couldn't wait.

I was the kid that actually read Chuck Yeager's biography when it came out in 6th grade and couldn't read Pappy Boyington's fast enough when I found out my sister-in-law was his granddaughter and especially after having met the gentleman that shot him down.

So, what did I do when we got in the plane? I stared at the wire on the fuel cap, hardly looked out of the side window because we were so high up, and sat quietly so I didn't interrupt his focus on flying or the radio. I did watch everything that was going on with the gauges, controls and on the radio.

I was so excited that I think I was in overload. To this day I wonder if he knew how much I loved that experience. Here I am nearly 30 years later flying every chance I get and thanking / blaming both him and my dad for exposing me to this world.

I just wanted to add that I do a summer flying program for 14-18 year old kids, and a BUNCH of them are dead quiet, hard to get to talk, shy, the whole ball of wax. Then they get on the ground and they talk to their friends and they don't stop talking about it. So I heard later, since they wouldn't say so in front of me. Of those that stuck around or came back later, several have opened up and/or told me how much it meant to them.

He might not have been "taken" by it at all, but don't bet on it, and don't let it discourage you. :)

My kids, 8 & 5 year old could absolutely care less that they are in a plane. The 5 year old girl just loves singing in the headset, we don't need a plane for that. I have only taken them up twice but they seem to show very little interest in flying around sightseeing.

Don't feel dissapointed. You did a good thing. Maybe the kid liked it, maybe he didn't - or somewhere in between. No way of knowing for sure. You could ask him again - that would give you a better clue.

Either way, it was a good thing you did and, if not now, in the future i'd guess it would have an effect.

Speaking of kids: I think that when pilots get near a plane they become more "infantile" than most kids. Ha!

I take new people up every week. I love flying so much, and I have found it's contagious.

One thing I do is ask people if they want to learn about what I'm doing...actively engage in the experience. Almost everyone says yes. I take them through the whole preflight, telling them at each step what I'm doing.

Almost every single one has been fascinated and interested. And telling them what each part of the preflight is makes them relax more in flight.

So far, my record is 1 person is getting a PPL, and two more are considering.

That said, the younger generation definitely is more into electronic social stuff and less into cars and planes. Gosh, when I was 17, I counted the days until I was old enough to take my check ride. And it was the same with cars.

I say do everything you can to put all passengers at ease. Then, enjoy the flight and maybe something will come of it, and maybe not. Look at it this way...you got to fly that day!

I have taken a lot of people flying and they have ALL been scared s**tless.
Not sure what the common denominator is.

There's always lots of praying, and kissing the ground after we land.

Gordon Baxter described that as "Being in a high state of thankfulness." I think you should take it as a compliment...

John

flying is a bug, and it's contagious. Some people however, may be immune. At 14 you'd have declared minimum fuel before i'd let you land :)
Kudos to the OP for taking the time with this chap. I'm sure good will come of it.

I talk about flying a lot, but I never suggest anybody fly with me. If they ask me, I'll take them. But they have to bring it up first.

Flying is something some people are fascinated by, and others are terrified of. I don't try to "convince" anybody to fly, any more than I want people trying to convince me to ride motorcycles (I won't do it). Everybody has their own risk tolerance and comfort level with various activities.

You said you dont know the kid that well. A lot of kids are uncomfortable with adults they dont know well. His silence and lack of enthusiasm could likely have just been a byproduct of him being uncomfortable with YOU and have nothing to do with aviation. As a kid every adult is an authority figure, and you're one he doesn't know how to act around yet. Add to that the fact that he's now in a completely new surrounding where he really has no idea what's right and wrong. Try spending some time around the kid in his normal environment and getting to know him on a more level playing field. I bet once he's comfortable with you his behavior in the plane will change. He still might not like it, but he'll likely be more open about how he feels.

I got the same reaction from my nephew's first flight when he was 13. This month, a few years later, he got accepted into Maryland's Aeronautical Engineering program.

It's a teenager. You never know what they're thinking. Hell, you're lucky if they are thinking at all....

First of all I want to say "great job" for sharing aviation with youth. I had a girl friend when I was 17 who's dad was a pilot. He took me up for a flight and in that moment, I decided I would one day fly. Just yesterday I shared my love of flying with nephews......

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 27
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 25
I have had a few kid passengers like this before.. they played video games in the back seat the entire time..

Just be glad they didn't throw up like my first pregnant lady did..... :hairraise:

At least she used her purse.... :yes:

I've had a disinterested kid passenger once, too. No big deal.

Like a number of people said, you really can't read teenagers of that age. Many do appreciate it but are in that awkward stage where they're being allowed to do stuff with other adults for the first time and have no clue how to interact.

That mixed with a tough home life, can really make them quiet at that age.

Or the polar opposite.

It could have meant the world to him and he's just introverted. Many are at that age.

Coolest thing hanging in my home office, was made by a good friend's kids...

6ae70a42690e96432afdb23adbdc474d.jpg

I've had a disinterested kid passenger once, too. No big deal.

Like a number of people said, you really can't read teenagers of that age. Many do appreciate it but are in that awkward stage where they're being allowed to do stuff with other adults for the first time and have no clue how to interact.

That mixed with a tough home life, can really make them quiet at that age.

Or the polar opposite.

It could have meant the world to him and he's just introverted. Many are at that age.

Coolest thing hanging in my home office, was made by a good friend's kids...

6ae70a42690e96432afdb23adbdc474d.jpg

Wow!! That is VERY rewarding! Keep up the good work!

Maybe it's my fault for expecting a kid to be excited about something that I really enjoy, and something he's never done before, but the experience sort of took the wind out of my sails.

So when you first met him and asked what things in life he enjoys, what did he say?

I would say only about 20% of the people I know are even remotely interested in taking an airplane ride. Maybe another 20% are indifferent. The rest wouldn't get on a small plane if you paid them. I'm continually surprised by the amount of folks that think I'm bat**** crazy for flying a small aircraft. Weird to me, but whatever.

When I was a kid all I ever dreamed of was fishing at the family cabin and flying someday.
My oldest son became a pilot ,CFI then taught me to fly when I was 56.
Two planes ( 3rd being built) in the family , son/brother a CFI, I approached my youngest son who works at GRR airport and asked him if he would like to learn to fly for free,zero ,zip. He thought about it for about 5 seconds, Nope, not interested.
Some people are meant to soar like birds-- some are meant to be groundhogs.
I have one of each.
I guess if everyone became a pilot it wouldn't be all that special and it would be to darn crowded up there:dunno:

You did a nice thing just don't use the word disappointed around the kid you flew with. Kids don't take well to adults showing disappointment in them. You shared an experience with a kid at an influential age. That's a gift that keeps on giving. You have nothing to be disappointed about.

By the way, super talkative does not mean super enjoyable either. Trust me, I wish my students talked a lot less each day!( I'm a 7th grade teacher in real life.) I'm sure your experience was not ideal by your standards but you did something so many of us say we should do more of, share flying with those around us.

I took a few kids up last weekend and they were completely quiet about the whole experience and showed no excitement or interest. Looked at their Facebook later that day and they plastered their wall with details and excitement to their friends. That's just how kids are with people they don't know.

I took a few kids up last weekend and they were completely quiet about the whole experience and showed no excitement or interest. Looked at their Facebook later that day and they plastered their wall with details and excitement to their friends. That's just how kids are with people they think are OLD.

I fix it for you

One thing I have to admit about SNF. There were a LOT of kids there, throwing around airplanes and having an overall good time. I think it's our duty as pilots, (Even student pilots like me) to show kids that it's not as dangerous as the media makes it seem.

First of all I want to say "great job" for sharing aviation with youth. I had a girl friend when I was 17 who's dad was a pilot. He took me up for a flight and in that moment, I decided I would one day fly. Just yesterday I shared my love of flying with nephews......

That is great!!

I remember one time I was tying down my plane after a flight, and some guy in a rental 172 taking a couple of early teen kids (obviously not his own) pulled in to the spot next to me. When they got out, the first thing they did was make a beeline to my GSXR 750 which was parked next to my plane, and started taking pictures of it. It was all they could talk about.

I was making a steak a few weeks ago and decided to throw one on for my dog, We are the only men in a house of women and I was all excited to give him an awesome treat (he is not allowed people food). Anyway ****er swallowed it without even one bite, looked at me as if saying that it got any more walked off an laid down. Im not really sure what I was expecting but it made me a little mad and hurt my feelings a little hahaha

I was making a steak a few weeks ago and decided to throw one on for my dog, We are the only men in a house of women and I was all excited to give him an awesome treat (he is not allowed people food). Anyway ****er swallowed it without even one bite, looked at me as if saying that it got any more walked off an laid down. Im not really sure what I was expecting but it made me a little mad and hurt my feelings a little hahaha

Smart dog. LOL. There will either be another one or there won't, but he didn't give anyone a chance to steal it before he finished it. :)

That is why I cut it up and give it in pieces. It is a bit controlling, but he gets to enjoy it longer...

Anyway, I'm hoping that the OP will eventually get some word of mouth feed back that the kid enjoyed it.

Jim

Back