Tips

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
As he was giving the standard passenger briefing to a friend and his wife, Hubby stated, "In case of an off-airport landing, open the door by pulling the handle forward, push out a little, then bring the handle backward to lock the door open." What a good idea. No need to find a jacket to stuff into the gap to get sucked out of the plane.

Do you have simple tips like this?

which vintage 172 do you have? If its a later 70's and beyond model with a latch built into the armrest, the door won't completely latch unless the door is shut. that is a good idea though to keep the door open.

It's in the checklist for "Forced Landing without Power" in the 172S. I'd have to dig back into older manuals to see what it's in. I'm sure it's also in the R manual.

My tip:

In case of emergency, exit the aircraft to the rear and do not wait for me. There's no fuel or engine back there to hurt ya, and if I can't make it out, you won't be able to help me.

My tip:

Scream hysterically, it makes the plane fly again.

Estimating Inflight Visibility
According to a FAASTips sheet, the approximate visibility in miles will equal the number of thousands of feet above the surface, when the surface is just visible over the nose of the airplane. Remember! No words in any book can replace good judgement.

If the plane is 3000' AGL when you can just barely see the ground over the nose, visibility is about 3 miles.
If the plane is 2000' AGL when you can just barely see the ground over the nose, visibility is about 2 miles.
If the plane is 1000' AGL when you can just barely see the ground over the nose, visibility is about 1 mile.

Out here in the midwest, its easy to determine visibility because all our roads are laid out in a nice 1 mile spaced grid. :D

My tip:

Scream hysterically, it makes the plane fly again.
You forgot to have them also push the PTT too. Which also goes with my rule to never say anything on the intercom that you would not want transmitted just in case you have a hot mic. Which is what I also treat any Internet posting as. Hence, I do not have to worry about saying anything on PoA that would get me in trouble with any agency. So much easier than having to beg for a private area in which I ask the MC to protect me from myself.

Last edited:
Estimating Inflight Visibility
According to a FAASTips sheet, the approximate visibility in miles will equal the number of thousands of feet above the surface, when the surface is just visible over the nose of the airplane. Remember! No words in any book can replace good judgement.

If the plane is 3000' AGL when you can just barely see the ground over the nose, visibility is about 3 miles.
If the plane is 2000' AGL when you can just barely see the ground over the nose, visibility is about 2 miles.
If the plane is 1000' AGL when you can just barely see the ground over the nose, visibility is about 1 mile.

I wouldn't place much faith in that since the angle between the line from you eyes to the top of the cowl and the level surface of the Earth will vary over a wide range with different aircraft and variations due to pilot seating position and height, not to mention the attitude of the aircraft.

As he was giving the standard passenger briefing to a friend and his wife, Hubby stated, "In case of an off-airport landing, open the door by pulling the handle forward, push out a little, then bring the handle backward to lock the door open." What a good idea. No need to find a jacket to stuff into the gap to get sucked out of the plane.

Do you have simple tips like this?

Don't ever assume that a passenger understands the danger of a spinning prop.

So much easier than having to beg for a private area in which I ask the MC to protect me from myself.

Scott, you mean to tell me you've never said anything at all to your friends and family that you didn't want the entire world to hear? Amazing. :rolleyes:

:mad3:

Back