Thinking About a New Roof

If not removing the existing (single) layer of shingles, make sure that they were properly nailed down in the first place.

There's a right way and a wrong way to nail shingles (nailing on the portion of the shingle that is double-thick will reduce the chances of the nails coming up in a wind storm)

I’m following this thread because I know that somehow, in a way I can’t yet fathom, Ted’s new shingles will incorporate:
1). Improved hydraulics
2). Better cooling
3). Caterpillar parts
Man, Caterpillar parts? That new roof is going to weigh a ton and leak oil into the house! ;)

Man, Caterpillar parts? That new roof is going to weigh a ton and leak oil into the house! ;)

I believe you’re thinking 2-stroke Detroit. Or Ford. :D

#shotsfired

By the way, I should also point out that you don't have to use the same material over the entire roof. One neighbor has a combination of standing seam metal roof and composite shingles. Another has a combination of what appears to be a Tesla roof on one slope and tile on another.

I’m following this thread because I know that somehow, in a way I can’t yet fathom, Ted’s new shingles will incorporate:
1). Improved hydraulics
2). Better cooling
3). Caterpillar parts
Standing seam roof with a rain barrel. Metal made from recycled engine block. Light color reflects heat thus keeping the house cooler.

I've replaced or installed roofing on about a dozen buildings. Flat roofs are the hardest to make watertight. We've used fully adhered EPDM for those. On traditional roofs I prefer metal roofing and as others mention, standing seam is the best. Standing seam not only doesn't have holes for potential leaking, but it is also typically constructed from thicker gauge metal.

With asphalt shingle roofing, some pebble shedding shouldn't be a concern. If replacing with new, I would not use tar paper underlayment. I much prefer Grace tri-flex underlayment for the majority of the roof and Grace ice and water shield for the valleys and edges.

There's a house that I drive by about once a week that has a red metal roof that I think is about 20 years old. It's part red and part rust. Before that it was faded. So I'm sure there might be some that last longer and look good than shingles, but I don't know if that's always true.

Flat roofs? Agree, that's lousy. My garage roof is flat, very shallow slope, and it was builtup tar that I put aluminized coating on every 1-2 years to keep it from leaking. That worked, but was miserable. When I had the house roof replaced I had the garage roof replaced with EPDM and that's much better.

OP? If you want to have a forever roof, then there's always standing copper. :)

Roof?!

Priorities, my man. Priorities! You have a race car that needs your attention. When's the first race?

Flat roofs are the hardest to make watertight.
Living in a TPO flat roof house now. A leak is a matter of when, not if. I’ve got hole finding and patching down to only a few hours per year :rolleyes:.

My RV (motorhome) has a TPO roof. Not so much because of a leak, but because of a poor installation, I had it coated several years ago.
rvroof.com
I've got nothing but good to say about the end result. Several side benefits from the job....no caulking, better insulation, quieter, tougher/more durable.... I wonder if there are any similar options for flat roofed buildings

Im late to this roof party...but regarding grit loss from your shingles and leaks. My house in Atlanta was built in 86 with shingles. When i bought it in 08/09 it was getting to need a roof. I finally had it done in ~2018. A lot of the shingles had 60%+ grit loss. No leaks due to that. One or 2 leaks due to nails backing out a couple years prior. A lot of shingles were getting very thin and brittle so it was going to get bad soon.
Only 2 sheets of plywood needed to be replaced under the roof.

My current house in MI was built in 05, so roof is 20 yrs old. I am seeing a little bit of griot loss from the 3 tab arch. shingles but they should last another 10 years no worries.

A little grit loss is not the end of a roof.

Lots of scam roofing going on in my area. Call out a roofer to inspect your roof, and guess what, you need a new roof. Probably 90% don't need a new roof, but the fox is guarding the hen house. So we just got our insurance renewal for next year. Was $2800 this year, $3850 next year. :mad:

Back