They need a cardiologist booth at State Fairs

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Man why don't they just serve icecream sprinkled with Lipitor at State Fairs?

I am on a bit of a health kick but I have to admit the fried Avocado, Keylime pie on a stick and fried bacon could taste yummy but then I'd hate myself for a few days. The Fried Chicken Crispy Kreme sandwich makes me sick just thinking of it.

http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/unusual-state-fair-food?GT1=34133

Some of them sound YUMMY (not) to me. I guess it's all in the taste buds.
Dave G

Chicken-fried bacon... yum...
But you can keep the cream gravy (ick).

I could go for the Key Lime pie on a stick but everything else turns my stomach. I'm not so much a fan of deep fried foods.

I could go for the Key Lime pie on a stick but everything else turns my stomach. I'm not so much a fan of deep fried foods.

We've had a (frozen) wedge of Cheescake on a stick at hot dog stands for a while.

The Texas State Fair in Dallas is famous for it's fried foods.

http://www.bigtex.com/foodlocator
Since the invention of the Fletcher's Corny Dog, fairgoers have often ranked food as one of the top reasons for attending the annual State Fair of Texas. In 2005, Fair organizers - determined to take the association with food to a new level - organized the first annual Big Tex Choice Awards contest.
The contest is considered a friendly food fight among Fair concessionaires. Entries must be new to the Fair, unique and taste-tempting. In mid-summer, an invitation is sent to all contracted State Fair vendors with details about the contest. Interested concessionaires submit menus to a committee for review and consideration. Often the committee will request samples for taste testing before choosing the finalists for the contest. On Labor Day, a panel of judges is on hand when the kitchen heats up for the final round of competition. Awards are presented in two categories - best taste and most creative. The competition is held prior to the opening of the Fair each year and is not open to the general public.

2005 Most Creative - Viva Las Vegas Fried Ice Cream
2005 Best Taste - Fried PB, Jelly and Banana Sandwich
2006 Most Creative - Fried Coke
2006 Best Taste - Fried Praline Perfection
2007 Most Creative - Deep Fried Latte
2007 Best Taste - Texas Fried Cookie Dough
2008 Most Creative - Fried Banana Split
2008 Best Taste - Chicken Fried Bacon

Notice a theme?

Well, I just picked up some Bobak's Maxwell Sausages to bring with to OSH09 today! Don't plan to deep fry them, though! :no:

Yup...and people eat like this and wonder why they have health issues and than want unlimited access to health care to "fix" it.

I avoid fast food entirely. I don't even really like the taste all that much except for maybe KFC, and I really can't stand any form of soda (and I'm probably lucky I don't like it, too). No Wendys, no McDs, no KFC... but every so often (meaning, maybe every 5 years, no joke) I'll be on a road trip and think, "maybe one of the above won't be too bad, I'm in a hurry". Y'day Mom and I were driving from CLE to home (PA) and we stopped at KFC and I had their chicken strips. Not only did they not taste as good as I remember (and Original Recipe used to be pretty good) I felt ill after we got back in the car. Just blah.

ps. the fair food I like are things like hand-pulled taffy, real lemonade, and italian sausage with onions. Not good for you - but not as bad as the deep fried crap.

ps. the fair food I like are things like hand-pulled taffy, real lemonade, and italian sausage with onions. Not good for you - but not as bad as the deep fried crap.

Italian sausage. Yum. But with both peppers and onions. Fresh squeezed lemonade is the way to go. Taffy - not a fave.... but ice cream (esp. fresh) is impossible for me to resist.

It's been a long time since I've been to a fair, but I do go to some minor league baseball games where the concessions can be much like a fair....

I've had a batter fried Twinkie before. It was pretty durn good!! The batter up a Twinkie and then fry it up. Put tons of powdered sugar on top! YUM!! :p

Chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick is just irresistible at the fair. And there is something to be said for the deep fried Milky-way bar. Hey, so long as it's once a year and you eat sensibly the rest of the time, it won't kill you.

And then there's SCRAPPLE.

Everything but the Oink!

Yum. I can remember scrapple from when I was a kid...

Better than Rocky Mountain Oysters, which I never had and never will. Isn't there a famous place near Jeffco that sells that cr*p? Oh, excuse me Rocky Mountain Metro. :rolleyes2:

Better than Rocky Mountain Oysters, which I never had and never will. Isn't there a famous place near Jeffco that sells that cr*p? Oh, excuse me Rocky Mountain Metro. :rolleyes2:
Don't know about a place near KBJC but I've had them at the Buckhorn Exchange. Had to try... not really impressed.

Don't know about a place near KBJC but I've had them at the Buckhorn Exchange. Had to try... not really impressed.

I think it was up that way and closed then reopened. Anyway, love the Buckhorn but stick to Elk, Bison, Beef, etc.........

Oldest liquor license in CO.

Back