The older mountain bike thread but now a road bike review update

That's a solid year. Next stop pro tour...
It's only May. I typically ride 7500 miles/yr. I think I'm quick, but I know I'm not fast. I own a fair number of Strava KOMs, but I'm not gonna win any races. And besides, I like to be home. All my stuff is there.

North Creek looks like fantastic riding country, when it's warm enough.

Depends how badly you want to go fast I guess...
It's only May. I typically ride 7500 miles/yr. I think I'm quick, but I know I'm not fast. I own a fair number of Strava KOMs, but I'm not gonna win any races. And besides, I like to be home. All my stuff is there.

So I was out riding today, 15 miles in to a 23 miler, and my Garmin (Edge 830) did an auto shutoff and reboot for some odd reason. There was plenty of battery, and it wasn't particularly hot outside. This is the first time since I've had it. I've ridden about 3,000 miles with it so far.

The 15 mile ride was there, but it was paused, and there was a note that said to resume, press the button on the screen. I did, and it took me to some menus, but no option to resume the ride. I ended up saving the ride and starting a new one. I lost half a mile in the process.

One thing I noticed was that there was a notification in the menus mentioned above, about two missed Facetime audio calls. But those were from yesterday - someone butt dialed me. Maybe there is some confusion in syching of the Garmin with the phone. If it happens again maybe I'll turn the Bluetooth off so it can't talk to the phone.

Anyone else have this problem? I did a Google search but it wasn't very helpful, other than to confirm that it had happened to other people.

I've gotten plenty of facetime calls while riding they shouldn't stop your ride. Odd shutoff/reboot is a red flag; I'd check the firmware version and if it happens again I'd just send it back. While handy, cycling computers aren't the highest quality.

I've had Edge's for over 10 to 15 years now. Very solid little devices. About the only thing I can think of is to make sure you have the latest software and firmware. I'm using the 1030 plus now and it's been great.

Many years ago, garmin was updating the edges every month or so and there were lots of issues. They finally got it fixed and they've been rock solid since. Hopefully you just had a fluke.

Oh, and make sure you remove the edge from your handlebars if you flip the bike over to change a tire. I forgot and f'd my last one, big black spot in the screen.

Nah, just make sure it’s in the 11 before the car pulls up

Oh, and make sure you remove the edge from your handlebars if you flip the bike over to change a tire. I forgot and f'd my last one, big black spot in the screen.

Q: who’s measuring power and what are you using?

I have these Assioma Duo's . Been very happy with them and think they are really helpful if you are doing any serious training

Any further pireps on the Assioma power pedals? All of my riding buds have gone to power meters of some sort, so looking as well, and the Assiomas are at the top of my list. Thanks!

f3bf075fd3576ae68887f3884336bf85.jpg

Interesting, Wilier was founded in Bassano del Grappa Italy. We are going there for a week of riding late spring followed by another week of riding in the Riccione area. Two weeks of riding in Italy. Woot!

Any pireps on the Wilier? We saw a lot of them on our Italy trip, especially in the Bassano region. An Italian bike is on my long range radar, and I really liked the apparent quality of the Wilier bikes we saw in the shops over there, and I like that it's not a Bianchi/Colnago/Pinarello that are common here in the states.

As for the Italy trip, it was fabulous. Between Bassano del Grappa and Riccione, we rode 11 days, 502 miles, and climbed 35,200ft. I was whipped by the end of the second week. Many good cycling days, but the highlight has to be our climb of Monte Grappa. We took the classic route to the top, 17.5 miles, 5215 feet of climbing. We averaged 6.2mph for the climb.

1719166000297.jpeg

Any pireps on the Wilier?]
Absolutely love it. I looked at pretty much all the bikes in endurance class except the BMC Roadcachine. For me it came down to the Caledonia 5 and the Garda when I looked at sizing, price, and features. O actually went in to order a Caledonia and the shop owner and I started charting…we both spent tours in Italy, him in Naples, me at Aviano.

Willier is located just outside Vicenza, a little west/northwest of Venice. We talked at length about both bikes, and he suggested we do a fitting on two frames he had that were in my size, so I did that. For me, the Garda put me a hair more upright than the Caledonia, which is what I preferred. Either one would have worked in the end, but an Italian bike is just a work of art and there’s an emotional connection with the bike that the Caledonia didn’t. So, over a nice espresso in the shop, I decided to go with the Garda.

Overall, the bike is stiff in track, comfortable in the saddle, and beautiful to look at. It came in about 20% lighter than my old Giant CFR, mainly due to carbon wheel sets and overall lighter composites today.

It also makes me feel better that it’s fairly rare to see one in the US; it’s certainly a conversation starter.

Absolutely love it.

Willier is located just outside Vicenza, a little west/northwest of Venice.
and beautiful to look at. It came in about 20% lighter than my old Giant CFR, mainly due to carbon wheel sets and overall lighter composites today.

It also makes me feel better that it’s fairly rare to see one in the US; it’s certainly a conversation starter.

Thanks, good to hear! The first week my rental bike was a Colnago CRS, and there was something special about riding in Italy aboard an Italian bike. The BMC GranFondo (predecessor to the Road machine) I rode the second week was fine, but no special connection.

Later in the week a lot of top Wilier brass and their customers moved into our hotel to watch the Giro climb Grappa. We checked out Friday morning, so didn't get to see the Giro come through Saturday. I'd really like an Italian bike and Wilier will probably be my choice.

BTW, we had a rainout day and didn't ride, so we grabbed a bus to Vicenza, nice downtown area. We saw the Teatro Olimpico, Chiesa di Santa Corona, the natural history museum, the Palladian Basilica, and then enjoyed a nice mid-afternoon lunch before grabbing a bus back to Bassano.

Any further pireps on the Assioma power pedals? All of my riding buds have gone to power meters of some sort, so looking as well, and the Assiomas are at the top of my list. Thanks!
I mentioned them already. I’ve had mine for about four years. Zero issues. The best thing about pedal based power meters is that you can easily switch between bikes. I get about a month between charges and the charge connection is simple. Can’t tell the difference between them and my old Looks.

DC Rainmaker did a pretty thorough review quite a while ago. Pedals are great if you want to swap them between bikes often, but you're committed to their pedal system (look).

They sell a core for Shimano pedals as well. You have to provide the pedal itself, but there's so little difference between Shimano and Look, not sure its worth the bother vs just changing cleats.

Nice! I've got about 5,500 on mine so far. And close to 35K on the Tarmac.

Back