the "not worthy of it's own thread" thread

Why isn't density altitude listed in METARs?
I know pressure is, and temperature is - but then do you always calculate the density altitude before flying? Or just on hot days, for example?

It seems to me like it would be a good item to put in the METAR for safety, and since it's so critical to performance. I know we're supposed to do NWKRAFT before each flight, but does everyone do that, all the time? Somehow I doubt it, especially in familiar terrain.

ForeFlight calculates it from their data and shows it in the METAR page.
Lots of automated weather stations at airports give out this information too, even though in my neck of the woods they could safely leave it out.
Turns out the flat plains of IL doesn't offer much in the way of challenging DAs :)
1715446517685.png

Isn't there an airport out west where they display the current density altitude on a sign along the taxiway, like the price of gasoline at a station? Or maybe that was a myth.

Here I just think of temperature instead of DA. That's probably not a great plan, but the altitude is all about the same and it saves me from having to do math.

Isn't there an airport out west where they display the current density altitude on a sign along the taxiway, like the price of gasoline at a station? Or maybe that was a myth.
Yeah there's a couple. I think Big Bear and Leadville have them along with others.

In other news, I got to fly today. Between working on the back door (there's a joke in there somewhere @Skyrys62 ) and farming it's been over two weeks. Got my instrument currency extended another month and the door stayed on the plane. I applied the paint too thick as it's been on week and it's still a little bit soft. I'm hoping some UV exposure will help cure it, although there's not much of that today.

Ever sneeze so loud that it sets off you're Apple Watch loud noise exposure warning?

Ever sneeze so loud that it sets off you're Apple Watch loud noise exposure warning?

The watch has a loud noise exposure warning? huh? a the person wearing the watch wouldn't notice a loud noise?

It's likely that I wouldn't be called an Apple basher, but that has got to be one of the most useless "features" I've heard (no pun) of. What am I missing?

The watch has a loud noise exposure warning? huh? a the person wearing the watch wouldn't notice a loud noise?

It's likely that I wouldn't be called an Apple basher, but that has got to be one of the most useless "features" I've heard (no pun) of. What am I missing?

Ever fly in a 727 up front?

Flagstaff, AZ does. Mounted at the end of each taxiway right before turning onto the runway.

Last edited:
Looks good... I would not have done as well at all. And I would have lost at least 2 of the bolts.

but what if there's a VOLCANO??!!??!?!?!?

View attachment 128828

giphy.gif

Back