Test your Taste

When you think you have the best taste in the world for something, but someone else has completely the opposite taste.
Post something that you hate or love in this thread and see other's reaction.

Here is one that I really really really hate. (I repeat, hate, not love):

View attachment 132890

Pineapple pizza. Please hit the dislike button, I beg you.

That's more pineapple than usual on a pizza, but it still looks tasty. I love pineapple on pizza. No dislike here.

Pineapple on pizza is one of those things that always sounded gross to me, I would never order it... but on the few occasions when somebody orders one and I end up eating a slice because it's all that's left, it tastes pretty good. But I still wouldn't choose it.

Now one of my favorites, albeit indulged in rarely, is a peanut butter and bacon sandwich, but it has to be on white toast.

But now that I think of it, when I was in AK with my grandpa as a teenager, I was designated chief cook and bottle washer. When I got home, my mom thought she’d take advantage of that experience and had me cook supper. I don’t remember exactly what was in it, but it was something Grandpa and I liked. The recipe came off the back of a Ragu jar, and it had pineapple in it.

I was not asked to cook again, and never had to bring food to family gatherings for 25 years.

So there I was, flying along in flight… kinda hungry.

Break out the emergency sammy, MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH

Capt: where’d you get that?
Tools: New York, walked down to little Italy. MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH

Capt: wow, you’ve been getting mini fridges?
Tools: nope, MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH

Capt: that was four days ago! Where’d you keep it?
Tools: flight kit, MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH

I hate wasting food… and have a VERY robust gastro intestinal system.

Mayonnaise and Miracle Whip and any secret sauce stuff that has them. Runny egg yolks. Ketchup and Catsup. Pickles and Relish. I get a gag reflex.

Pizza and women.. Pizza is round, comes in a square box, and is usually served in triangle.. when you can figure out that logic Grasshopper, then you will understand the logic of women..

Cilantro. Some people like it but other people think it tastes like soap.

The same people generally don't like bell peppers either.

Interesting, cilantro does taste soapy to me and I don’t like Bell Peppers either.

As for oddball things I do like….anything umami flavored. I’ll eat a jar of anchovies in a sitting on saltine crackers. I put truff hot sauce on everything. I make truffle oil burgers w/ aged white cheddar for umami goodness.

My fiance says its too much, but I disagree.

So far I like everything and combination mentioned. In fact, now I'm hungry...

For the first time ever, I had a Monte Cristo sandwich last week. Because I wanted a hot ham and cheese, and that was the closest thing this place had. What I didn't know was that the way they toast the bread it ends up tasting like a waffle with synthetic maple syrup in it. Not a fan.

Similar with chicken and waffles. Whoever came up with that was drunk. I like fried chicken, and I like waffles. Mixed together, it's like the food equivalent of Willie Nelson and Grace Slick trying to do a duet.

Interesting, cilantro does taste soapy to me and I don’t like Bell Peppers either.

As for oddball things I do like….anything umami flavored. I’ll eat a jar of anchovies in a sitting on saltine crackers. I put truff hot sauce on everything. I make truffle oil burgers w/ aged white cheddar for umami goodness.

My fiance says its too much, but I disagree.
Both items have different aldehydes in them that some people taste as soap. Red bell peppers have fewer of these compounds and so might be less objectionable.

Some people are more sensitive to a chemical in cilantro... Which is also found in some soaps as well as bugs.

Tastes like soap to me. But I love me some bell peppers.
Perhaps that specific aldehyde isn't found in bugs and soaps. Likewise, the flavor components of cilantro and peppers are different, albeit related, compounds.

When you think you have the best taste in the world for something, but someone else has completely the opposite taste.
Post something that you hate or love in this thread and see other's reaction.

Here is one that I really really really hate. (I repeat, hate, not love):

View attachment 132890

Pineapple pizza. Please hit the dislike button, I beg you.
Pineapple and ham on pizza seem to be more popular in Asia. Last fall, our dealer in China thought I was getting tired of Chinese food after two weeks and bought pizza like in the image.

I enjoy a peanut butter sandwich with dill pickle slices and many freak out about that one.

Also raw potato sandwich with nothing but potato slices, butter and salt.

Local pizza joint makes one they call the Mahalo. Canadian bacon, chunks of pineapple, and blobs of cream cheese. It’s darned good.

I’m a fan of kimchi, anchovies, and Lagavulin… so I’m sure between those three I can offend nearly everyone. Can’t stand Italian sausage, so most “meat lover” or sausage pizzas are out for me.
Do you like chorizo?

Does it come from a pig? Is this a trick question?

I like frozen burritos. A lot. I don’t want to, I’ve tried to quit… but I can’t.

And then there’s DEEP FRIED frozen bean burritos you used to be able to get at 7-11 in the middle of the night… oooooph, YUMMY. They may have been available during the day, I don’t really know.

They resurfaced at the geedunk at the end of the S-3 hangar on NAS North Island in the 90s. I would just get in line and be handed my 2 $1 burritos at the register… didn’t even have to order! Ha!
Hangar 5 geedunk at NAS Whidbey had similar but they had homemade chili they put on top of it with some shredded cheese. A lunch that saw you through the afternoon and would run everyone out of the Ops office to boot. Made the schedule easier to write when no one would come in the office. :D

So there I was… big joint ops exercise in Roswell NM. Field army chow hall.

The beef was gray, milk didn’t need refrigeration.

TORE ME UP.

Had to evacuate the van on the way in several times.

Once we evacuated the ready room, pretty soon the tomcat guys evacuated their ready room, without an accused.

A buddy runs down the hall, headed in their ready room, flies back out screaming “Tools, it’s YOU!!”

Seems I took them out through the ventilation system. One of my better efforts!

Back