Ten Signs You've Been Flying Too Long

21. You avidly listen on the radio to hear if someone F's up on the radio in a funny enough way that you can post their transcript on some stupid webboard.

Guilty :yes:

22. You're on a date, and you say, "enough about me, let's talk about you...........what do you think about my flying?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last night the wife and I were riding in the car. We were talking and she was ignoring me (normal). I told her to aknowledge with an ident. She didn't get it.

You CONSTANTLY pay close attention to each and every weather report to guess if it's decent flying weather, even though you have no intentions of flying.

You CONSTANTLY pay close attention to each and every weather report to guess if it's decent flying weather, even though you have no intentions of flying.

:yes: YES! I do this all the time - as if the ceiling and winds are relevant if I'm driving from Milwaukee to Chicago! (though I justify it by saying the temperature and dew point spread may reflect conditions that could create fog, and I need to know about it in advance.)

When I'm flying commercially (in the back), I still pull the METARs, TAFs, winds aloft, and airport diagrams for my departure and destination airports. (I justify this insanity as an educational exercise to predict our landing runway, and build my skills in reading taxiway signs, i.e. "Black square, you're there" (Thanks John and Martha!)

I'm used to my wife rolling her eyes at me, but I rarely look at the passenger next to me out of fear he's doing the same thing.

Last edited:
23. While driving, you accelerate to "rotation speed" on the on-ramp before you merge onto the freeway.

Am I the only one that seems to be able to pick out air traffic much better after flying than before or during? When driving home from the airport, I swear, I see airplanes all over the sky, and for some reason, my eyes dart to it as if I were scanning.

I see every little thing in the sky when I'm on the ground too... I think maybe we see more from the ground because it's hard to pick out air traffic below you sometimes! And flying a high-wing airplane, I miss out on a bunch of the traffic above me too.

When I'm flying commercially (in the back), I still pull the METARs, TAFs, winds aloft, and airport diagrams for my departure and destination airports. (I justify this insanity as an educational exercise to predict our landing runway, and build my skills in reading taxiway signs, i.e. "Black square, you're there" (Thanks John and Martha!)

I'm used to my wife rolling her eyes at me, but I rarely look at the passenger next to me out of fear he's doing the same thing.

I take charts with me when flying commercially and it's usually a great conversation-starter and I find that my whole row is looking over my shoulder for the whole flight at the very least.

I once met a civil engineer who worked on airport designs that way. :yes:

I take charts with me when flying commercially and it's usually a great conversation-starter and I find that my whole row is looking over my shoulder for the whole flight at the very least.

I once met a civil engineer who worked on airport designs that way. :yes:

I do that too! It's especially fun when there are natural landmarks to look for, i.e. using a Las Vegas sectional to find out where you are relative to the Colorado River.

Back