TBM 900 Down BLI

Don't they have different rated SHP too?

As I understand it, in the 850 once you are in cruise, there is a '850 mode' that puts the flaps to -5deg and changes the max hp of the powerplant to 850. So while for takeoff and initial climb they are limited to 700, in cruise they have 150hp extra which adds to the top line cruise speed (and fuel burn). I am not sure whether the '900' and '930' use the same setup, I remember something that they have the full 850 for takeoff.

Don't they have different rated SHP too?

The 700 has a different version of the PT6 from the later versions, but they are all rated at a nominal 700 shp for take off and climb. The engine in the 850 and 900 allows faster cruise, as the post above explains.

Last edited:
Anti-icing is designed to shed ice in flight. Not very efficient if you get snowed upon with wet snow or freezing drizzle on the ground. The question is whether he had the plane de-iced by the FBO and covered with a suitable deicing fluid with some hold-over time.

Is there de-icing service at Bellingham? Most winters there are so mild the equipment might not get any use.

Is there de-icing service at Bellingham? Most winters there are so mild the equipment might not get any use.

I dont know.

One of the canadians on beechtalk printed out a list of last years pilot deviations for the operator of that plane. He doesn't seem to be the rule following kind.

In my experience, many private owners/operators are reluctant to go through the hassle and cost of getting the plane sprayed. Most would just use a heated hangar to remove what's there and then wait until the precip stops to depart. Not saying it didn't happen here, but I flew corpoarate/charter for 6 years and had a plane sprayed exactly once. Cost about three grand for an Ultra.

The 700 has a different version of the PT6 from the later versions, but they are all rated at a nominal 700 shp for take off and climb. The engine in the 850 and 900 allows faster cruise, as the post above explains.
I thought the number indicated the operation cost per hour

The Meridian I fly is certified for known icing. It was certified under the more recent and more stringent FAA criteria and so it's pretty robust. In spite of that, I am prohibited from flying in freezing fog, freezing rain and I am not allowed to takeoff with any contamination whatsoever on the wings. FIKI is awesome. It works really well and dramatically increases my dispatch rate (I live in the Rockies), however it has real limitations.

Back