Talk Therapy disclosure confusion

A

Anonymous1

Good evening yall

I'm a little confused right now about whether or not I can confidentially recieve talk therapy with my current conditions (not tell the FAA).

A few years ago I was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder. I was prescribed solely so I could take medication. I was recieving therapy at the time. I stopped therapy a while ago.

Im currently in the process for a SI. But I want to return to therapy, I think it will do me good.

But, I want to be honest with my therapist, and not have to worry about screwing up my SI process. So would this count as being related to the anxiety disorder? The reason I am confused is because this new therapist would not be diagnosing me, I just want to talk to a professional.

It doesn't matter if they're the one who diagnosed you. If you're going to them for your GAD, then you'll need to disclose it. If you're going to them for something that doesn't relate to a personal psychiatric condition, like say possibly marriage counseling, or how to deal with a drug addicted child, you wouldn't have to report that.

If you have been two yrs off meds, don’t have any recurrent episodes and no suicidality of record, the AME can issue you….PROVIDED the diagnosis is not MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER.

If you have been two yrs off meds, don’t have any recurrent episodes and no suicidality of record, the AME can issue you….PROVIDED the diagnosis is not MAJOR DEPRESSIVE DISORDER.
Thanks for the help, both. Never been depressed or suicidal, but Im on meds, I dont really think I need to be though, thats why I want to seek advice and counseling. Sadly the FAA doesnt like that I guess. So I will stick to my current route.

Back