Stents while on Basic Med

A

Anon

70-year-old Private Pilot.

Cardio Doc was concerned with a stress MRI done a few months ago and gave me the verbal "Duke" test (can you climb stairs, etc.). Passed with flying colors, and I even walk the beach a couple of times a week for an hour at a good pace without getting winded, but he still wanted to do a Heart Cath, which I got yesterday along with three stents (two 50%, and one 75%).

I've been Basic Med since it was founded and 3rd Class previously. Never had any cardio problems or strokes, etc., other than High Blood Pressure and Cholesterol for 30 years, both controlled with drugs and neither was ever a problem on the 3rd Class.

I'll be taking Effient (prasugrel) for a month and will then have a follow-up visit with the Cardio Doc. If all is well, do I need to get the FAA involved, or can I start flying/self-evaluating via Basic Med again?

...he still wanted to do a Heart Cath, which I got yesterday along with three stents (two 50%, and one 75%).
If all is well, do I need to get the FAA involved, or can I start flying/self-evaluating via Basic Med again?
From https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med
, under "Medical Conditions Requiring One Special Issuance Before Operating under BasicMed":
A cardiovascular condition, limited to a one-time special issuance for each diagnosis of the following:
Myocardial infarction;
Coronary heart disease that has required treatment;
Cardiac valve replacement; or
Heart replacement.

From https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/basic_med
, under "Medical Conditions Requiring One Special Issuance Before Operating under BasicMed":
Op here...

Yes, I read that, but I interpreted that paragraph as a prerequisite to a move to BasicMed, and didn't clearly imply that it applied to one already on BasicMed.

If I am wrong and I must get an SI, do I get it through an AME as a standalone effort (the SI) or must I get [at least] a 3rd Class Physical, fail it, and get deferred? Is there somewhere I can read up on this?

yes and it's simpler than you think.
90 ds then:
Stress treadmill (i rec. Stress tm - echo, 2 chances to "win" on medicare). heart rate 135 at least 6 mints they prefer 9...get all 30 EKG tracings
lipids and HbA1c (get your risk factors under control)
after 90 day Cardiology Office visit.

Apply, then back to basic if all is well.

yes and it's simpler than you think.
90 ds then:
Stress treadmill (i rec. Stress tm - echo, 2 chances to "win" on medicare). heart rate 135 at least 6 mints they prefer 9...get all 30 EKG tracings
lipids and HbA1c (get your risk factors under control)
after 90 day Cardiology Office visit.

Apply, then back to basic if all is well.
OP here....

Thanks Bruce. That's great news - I don't have to sell my plane and take up boating :)

Back