SSRI: Do we have a path?

Sunvox

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
JP
First, thanks to any that provide input. Second, I did search extensively, but the answer was not clear. Third, my wife will set up a consult with Go Flight Med, but that isn't available until mid-August hence my question here.

Question: Does my wife have a path to a medical?

Background:

I am retired from aviation because I lost me medical, but my wife is a pilot, and we were hoping to buy and fly a plane using her credentials. I met my wife many, many moons ago when I was her flight instructor. She owned a Piper Dakota and a Mooney 231, had her licenses thru MEL, and we flew together up to 1995. She has recently been flying with an instructor, but from 1995 to present had no flight time. The problem is she is taking Effexor and has been taking antidepressants for more than a decade. Her doctor's plan was to totally eliminate the medicine this year. Unfortunately, neither of us gave any thought to this topic and she went to our local AME in Danbury, CT and told him about her prescription, and she did, in fact, file a MedExpress ap.

Based on this information can one tell if she now still has a path? Is more information necessary?

Thanks again.

Unfortunately, neither of us gave any thought to this topic and she went to our local AME in Danbury, CT and told him about her prescription, and she did, in fact, file a MedExpress ap.
Bummer.

Based on this information can one tell if she now still has a path? Is more information necessary?
As of April 24, there is an SI path for Effexor.

Thanks!

Follow on question. How long does it usually take if there are no complicating factors?

Also, I see that one of my posts was not approved and one reply was removed. Does this thread or my question or the other reply violate some rules? If so I'm very sorry.

Follow on question. How long does it usually take if there are no complicating factors?
I'll let the experts @bbchien @lbfjrmd @WingmanMed @GoFlightMed answer that, but it takes as long as it takes. "Time to spare, go by air".

Also, I see that one of my posts was not approved and one reply was removed. Does this thread or my question or the other reply violate some rules? If so I'm very sorry.
As a brand new user, your posts are subject to moderator approval, so there may be some delay when you post. That restriction will go away after a week or so. Welcome to PoA!

Last edited:
with ten year's exposure she will be considered to have recurrent disease - "the docs left her on the meds for fear whatever it was would return". That is a tremendous presumption to overcome.

You'd be faster staying steadily on, and doing the on SSRI pathway, then to basic med.

(One of the 4 authors, by petition, of the ON SSRI pathway- it took FAA 4 years to act on it)

Interesting:

1722000802048.png

The Top 25 Safest Airlines For 2024​

1. Air New Zealand
  2. Qantas
  3. Virgin Australia
  4. Etihad Airways
  5. Qatar Airways
  6. Emirates
  7. All Nippon Airways
  8. Finnair
  9. Cathay Pacific Airways
  10. Alaska Airlines
  11. SAS
  12. Korean Air
  13. Singapore Airlines
  14. EVA Air
  15. British Airways
  16. Turkish Airlines
  17. TAP Air Portugal
  18. Lufthansa/Swiss Group
  19. KLM
  20. Japan Airlines
  21. Hawaiian Airlines
  22. American Airlines
  23. Air France
  24. Air Canada Group
  25. United Airlines

Really good report on Committee formed to evaluate existing FAA practices regarding mental health and the issues it's inharently creating in the pilot/controller community. I'm encouraged that the report has come to the same conclusion as me, the laymen, and recommending the same changes to the FAA that I have communicated via written letter to senators and representatives instrumental to passing the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2024.

Really good report on Committee formed to evaluate existing FAA practices regarding mental health and the issues it's inharently creating in the pilot/controller community. I'm encouraged that the report has come to the same conclusion as me, the laymen, and recommending the same changes to the FAA that I have communicated via written letter to senators and representatives instrumental to passing the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2024.

Gen Z, which is just now entering the workforce, has a far higher diagnosis rate for mental health issues (ADHD, anxiety, depression, etc.) when compared to previous generations. The bureaucratic nightmare of this process is becoming a major issue for a lot of people and members of Congress are starting to hear about it. That's part of the impetus for the medical review committee in the FAA Reauthorization Act this year. The FAA saw this coming and preemptively created the ARC, whose report you referenced. The FAA should be announcing changes from the ARC fairly soon, actually. You're sort of already seeing it with the fast track stuff for non-recurrent anxiety/depression.

They will get dragged into the future, one way or another. It just takes time.

Back