Sovereign Citizen nearly causes midair

"I object to these proceedings,” Marsan said, wearing a yellow jail jumpsuit and leg chains." :happydance:

A fellow like him once said, "you can't get blood out of a turnip" but he soon learned that while they might not get blood out of it they could strip the hide off of it ...

The fact that he did take off against traffic and without using radio most likely has nothing to do with his lack of medical or frankly anything related to his alleged “free citizen” status - I know some very ordinary folks with medicals and without any claims to being “sovereign” that were very much guilty of similar actions.

The fact that he did take off against traffic and without using radio most likely has nothing to do with his lack of medical or frankly anything related to his alleged “free citizen” status - I know some very ordinary folks with medicals and without any claims to being “sovereign” that were very much guilty of similar actions.
But when the kinder, gentler FAA contacts you with regard to an investigation, and you tell them they have no authority over you, you end up in leg irons. Especially if you’re operating a commercial aviation business.

I note that it's in Alaska, always heard that operating without a certificate was fairly common up there. I've never met anyone who openly operated outside the rules but it's not like I'm gonna check. Given that unless there's an incident/accident nobody is likely to check I imagine it's more common than we'd think.

I mean, he didn't have a commercial certificate, so he couldn't be engaged in commerce. He was simply traveling in his air conveyance.

I note that the Magistrate ordered him “not to operate an aircraft”. I’m sure that will be effective:rolleyes:

I note that the Magistrate ordered him “not to operate an aircraft”. I’m sure that will be effective:rolleyes:
Well, his whole point was that they can go f*** themselves so I guess it wont be very effective.. and frankly, being that this is happening in Alaska, he probably earned that right …. :)

I have a nickel that says there's tax evasion charges coming in a separate action.
I've never met anyone who openly operated outside the rules but it's not like I'm gonna check. Given that unless there's an incident/accident nobody is likely to check I imagine it's more common than we'd think.
Not Alaska, but several years ago I was doing some Champ shopping. I talked to more than one guy who had a Champ that hadn't had an annual in recent years, may or may not have had valid registration, and the pilot hadn't had a valid medical in years (and this was before Basic Med) -- they just fly off the farm strip, nobody knows or cares. I guess it shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.

The guy at one time had a medical and had registration. His flight review and medical lapsed, then he wrote a letter to the FAA to de-register the plane. Looking him up on the airmen registry, he was a cfii as well as being an ap/ia.

To me this reads like mental illness.

Screenshot_20240725-064550.png

Back