Soda vision

L

Lazy eye

Low time student pilot and time to get the medical to solo. My problem is going to be vision. My left eye is 20/20. But the right eye is a little lazy. Went more than 10 years without using any form of corrective lens, not that the eye didn't require them. But with the right being lazy and the left being good, just dealt with it. Even corrected with contact lenses it's borderline 20/40. Trying to really nail the prescription to see what else I can do to improve it enough to pass without a SODA. Any advice on how to proceed other than what I'm already doing? Seen similar threads on people failing because of vision and having to go the SODA route, but would really like to avoid it.

Should also mention I have a pretty good astigmatism as well. I plan on going to another optometrist just for a second opinion

Why avoid the SODA? I got one for being color blind 20 years ago. I keep it on file at my AME and it saves me having any discussion about it, other than the nurses still like to test my color vision - you know just in case it cures itself after 57 years

Why avoid the SODA? I got one for being color blind 20 years ago. I keep it on file at my AME and it saves me having any discussion about it, other than the nurses still like to test my color vision - you know just in case it cures itself after 57 years
Yeah, I know several people who have done SODA rides, all reported NBD. (Much better than NDB.)

Mainly because my instructor wants to sign me off for solo while he's at his winter home for a couple months, and I'm probably not at the ability level to take a SODA test... whatever that would entail.

and I'm probably not at the ability level to take a SODA test... whatever that would entail.

When I took my ride for my Sport Certificate the DPE & I talked about me upgrading to Private. I mentioned that I wear glasses and might not meet the vision requirement and he suggested the SODA to me and said, "I know you can see well enough to fly and that's what you have to prove."

A friend told the story of taking a SODA ride and was asked at one point how many cows were in a certain field below them. He told the examiner, "four" to which the examiner said, "that's not correct - there are five." He then asked the examiner to look again and notice that indeed there were four cows, and a horse. ;)

4 cows —- and a bull should guarantee passing!

If you can get to 20/40 at the eye doctors office get them to fill out the 8500-7 form.

Years ago I had an AME that I could not read the distance test in is machine. Every year I would go to the eye Dr. and have him fill out the part about distance then go to the AME. This way the AME did not have to test my distance vision in his old machine.

This my have changed so you should check out what parts of the form need to be filled out in your case.

Have not, but that will be a question I will ask. Thanks.

So if I need to go the SODA route. At what point do I apply for that? Get the dual cross country done?
You call up your local FSDO or whatever they call it these days. Schedule it. I'm surprised your CFI isn't being more helpful and finding out what the evaluation will be like. Mine did and we had the tower flash me the light gun to make sure I knew I would pass.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back