Small Plane Crash @ 89CA (Halter Ranch)

farmrjohn

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
farmrjohn
Oops, not quite how you would want to start your wine tasting experience. vineyard crash and Second article I haven't flown in but have walked along side the runway which bisects the vineyards.

Halter Ranch was one of my favorite Paso wineries. The CDP is quite nice.

I was very fortunate to get a tour of Javier Arango's WWI-era collection at his airstrip east of town (95CA) before he was unfortunately killed flying his Nieuport 28 replica.

Uh oh, that’s a Pipistrel Alpha. Last I checked, they’re not meant to carry “three souls.”

Anyway, for reference in case it’s relevant:

KPRB 082253Z AUTO 21020G30KT 10SM CLR 21/12 A2988 RMK AO2 PK WND 21030/2203 SLP114 T02110117

To be fair, there are microclimates all over that area, so what’s happening at PRB may not be a great indication of what’s happening in the hills 7 miles away.

Halter has a 3353’ runway 4-22 and is situated in a narrow, but not overly deep valley at 1488’ MSL. The runway slopes down about 2.2% to the southwest. Density altitude would have been about 2500’.

It’s hard to say for sure, but according to one of the sources, the timing of the crash lines up with the arrival of the aircraft, which according to ADS-B had lined up for an uphill landing on runway 4 before dropping from coverage.

If that’s the case, that’s a few hours earlier than the METAR I posted above (which I had based on the timing on the fire call). The only substantive difference between those times is the wind at PRB was 190@15 at the earlier time. Temp and resulting DA would have been about the same.

No injuries? That thing is completely racked. Amazing.
One article called it a "four-seat trainer", but Pipistrel has yet to release a four-seater in the USA.
There will be some explaining to do.

Could the 3rd passenger of been a lap child?

I can't imagine 3 adults fitting in an Alpha but I've seen crazier things.

Last edited:
I just watched a video of that destination and added it to my list of someday-trips.

Interesting...last photo in second article linked above appears to show the airplane 50 ft off to the side of the runway and parallel to it, not short of it-

Back