Sleep apnea Spec A

T

Teejay

I have been doing my homework to make sure I'm prepared for my first class 3 medical, and I'm a little nervous about the sleep apnea part.

I had a sleep apnea test done in a lab about 6 years ago, and was told I have mild sleep apnea that did not require a CPAP.

Based on my readings, this would result in receiving a Specification Sheet A, and will be required to submit my CPAP results within 90 days. I'm concerned because I'm not on any treatment, as I was told I don't need to be based on my level of OSA, but will the FAA be okay with this result from 6 years ago? I'm assuming this will result in a special issuance, so will my medical be valid as long as I submit the paperwork within the 90 days after my exam? Or should I be prepared to get the run around?

....Or should I be prepared to get the run around?
What good is it to look under the hood if you are not going to do anything about it. Get prepared!

FAA needs a current state report from a qualified doc-and that is a sleep doc. The alternative is a home sleep test (class 2) showing an AHI <5. These are "HARD POINTS". If you haven't got them you will get "the run around".....

"be prepared".

What good is it to look under the hood if you are not going to do anything about it. Get prepared!

FAA needs a current state report from a qualified doc-and that is a sleep doc. The alternative is a home sleep test (class 2) showing an AHI <5. These are "HARD POINTS". If you haven't got them you will get "the run around".....

"be prepared".

What does the FAA consider to be "current" in regards to a state report? Is my original sleep study results (performed by a sleep doc) sufficient from 2016? Or are they going to want me to do another sleep study?

"be prepared".

Disregard my last question, I found the OSA STATUS REPORT- INITIAL document online. I suppose this brings a new to the table for me:

I know I am going to require a SI, even though my OSA is mild. With this in mind, when I submit my prior (Oct 2016) sleep study results along with the signed OSA Status Report, will the FAA require another sleep study? Or is a sleep study from 2016 still okay typically? I don't mind getting the SI; I do, however, get worried about having to retake another sleep study if they don't find the one from 6 years ago to be "current" to their standards (costly!!!)

Shop around. There are companies that will do self pay at-home studies for around $300 including the interpretation, and they’ll often even let you make payments. That is a nearly insignificant expense in the realm of flight training.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back