SLC vs U42?

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
Does anyone have experience with general aviation at SLC? Looking at their web page, it looks like they try to cater to general aviation activity.

http://www.slcairport.com/about-the-airport/general-aviation/

I might be flying up that way in a few months. It looks like South Valley Airport is another good option. My Sister in law is getting married in downtown SLC, so SLC is more convenient than U42.

SLC is pretty GA friendly but check costs and it's still a class B so you need to be precise. I fly into SLC on a regular basis. U42 is a nice airport as well but 30-40 minutes away from downtown and uncontrolled. The FBOs at SLC have a free shuttle to downtown which may offset some of the additional cost. For a wedding downtown, I'd go to SLC but maybe night if I was staying a few nights because that might get expensive.

Which is closer to where you are going in the city? Call the FBO at U42 and talk to them. Looks like they have rental cars available, most likely Enterprise. All the comments in ForeFlight on the FBO are very favorable. Buy gas, rent a car, I bet they waive overnight tiedown fees.

I don't know if you are planning to go IFR, but it's very difficult to get an IFR clearance out of U42 because of where it sits in relation to KSLC.

I don't know if you are planning to go IFR, but it's very difficult to get an IFR clearance out of U42 because of where it sits in relation to KSLC.

I was thinking exactly that. I recall Lance Fisher being on the ground for several hours before they finally let him out of U42 IFR.

That would be a great idea if I had an instrument rating. ;)

I got my private last July. I am up to a whopping 85.3 hours of total time now! :)

I actually contacted both FBO's yesterday. U42 charges a $5 per night tie down fee, and they wave that for one night if you buy gas. They have rental cars there. SLC charges $10 per night parking. They also have a $5 infrastructure fee and a $15.00 facility fee. They wave the facility fee if you buy 10 gallons of gas. Gas is about $0.75 / gallon more at SLC.

To be honest, I have never landed at a Bravo airport, and I think it would be cool to fly into the big airport downtown. I live in the PHX area. I would probably take an instructor and go fly into PHX once down here so I can know what to expect before I tried to fly into SLC.

Back