SLC transition question

DaviatorSF

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
DaviatorSF
I am planning a long cross country trip for a couple of weeks from now, my first day will be KSQL to KBFF, VFR. I will need to transition the Salt Lake City Bravo airspace. I am planning to be at 11,500’ for that part of the route.

It looks like there are different east-west transition routes depending on whether KSLC is in north or south flow (which makes sense) – but there is also a note on the chart about high altitude VFR transitions using the I-80 transition at 11,500 feet eastbound.

I just want to clarify that my interpretation is correct and that I can probably count on being able to use the I-80 transition eastbound at 11.5 regardless which runways are in use at SLC.

Obviously it won’t be that hard to rejigger my flight plan if I had to use the BARN transition but it seems as if, at my altitude, that might not be necessary?

Thanks for any local advice, I always like to have an idea what to expect when that’s possible.

Not what you asked for but in the best POA tradition here is a suggestion: go north or south of the SLC Bravo. Avoid the tall bumps east of SLC...Evanston, WY is a decent fuel stop. Sometimes a crew car can be wrangled, call ahead.

Not what you asked for but in the best POA tradition here is a suggestion: go north or south of the SLC Bravo. Avoid the tall bumps east of SLC...Evanston, WY is a decent fuel stop. Sometimes a crew car can be wrangled, call ahead.
In this case, I’d rather transition – going around the Bravo at my altitude would be quite a large detour and it would set me up to go over higher terrain than if I essentially follow I-80 through the pass. I could descend and go under the Bravo and then climb again but that’s pretty inefficient in my little Grumman.

But we are in sync on Evanston, it’s already my plan to stop there for fuel and a bio break, so I appreciate the validation of that plan.

The controllers there are so ridiculously friendly and helpful that you're not going to have a problem no matter what you do. I wouldn't worry about trying to go north or south of the bravo, though I do second the Evanston suggestion.

The controllers there are so ridiculously friendly and helpful that you're not going to have a problem no matter what you do. I wouldn't worry about trying to go north or south of the bravo, though I do second the Evanston suggestion.
Thanks, appreciate knowing that. I always like to err on the side of being over prepared, especially when transitioning busy airspace, if I’ve done all the thinking ahead of time, hopefully that will prevent any “oh ****, now what?” moments in the air. I appreciate friendly and helpful controllers a lot (but never want to assume that’s what I’ll get.)

I am planning a long cross country trip for a couple of weeks from now, my first day will be KSQL to KBFF, VFR. I will need to transition the Salt Lake City Bravo airspace. I am planning to be at 11,500’ for that part of the route.

It looks like there are different east-west transition routes depending on whether KSLC is in north or south flow (which makes sense) – but there is also a note on the chart about high altitude VFR transitions using the I-80 transition at 11,500 feet eastbound.

I just want to clarify that my interpretation is correct and that I can probably count on being able to use the I-80 transition eastbound at 11.5 regardless which runways are in use at SLC.

Obviously it won’t be that hard to rejigger my flight plan if I had to use the BARN transition but it seems as if, at my altitude, that might not be necessary?

Thanks for any local advice, I always like to have an idea what to expect when that’s possible.
yes, what did you see to make you think differently ?

If you put Brigham City (LHO just like it is spelled) you miss the Bravo completely and stay over lower terrain. Some of the mountains east of SLC are well above 11.5. Your direct route takes you right over Kings Peak which is 13,528 feet elevation.

If you put Brigham City (LHO just like it is spelled) you miss the Bravo completely and stay over lower terrain. Some of the mountains east of SLC are well above 11.5. Your direct route takes you right over Kings Peak which is 13,528 feet elevation.
My flight plan does have me near any terrain higher than 8,500’ in that vicinity. I could fly up to Brigham City but then I have to worry about the MOAs which would likely be active. But it’s a good suggestion and I will think about it.

Actually that turns out to be a great suggestion; at first it looked like it would add quite a bit of distance to my route, but because of the distorted view of things on “flattened” maps that turns out not to be true, it actually shaves some miles off the route. I always use flight following so hopefully that will eliminate any issues transiting the Lucin MOAs. I just hate being the guy the forces the military training aircraft to “knock it off” so hopefully they won’t be hot.

Thanks for the good suggestion. I kind of like flying through Bravo airspace and over a busy airport, but in this case, if I can avoid all of the complication and routing uncertainty that’s probably a good thing on a long day of flying.

yes, what did you see to make you think differently ?
Well, one place it tells you there are different transition routes for KSLC north and south flow, and another place it tells you that traffic at 11.5 should expect the I-80 transition. My original question was just asking for clarification that my understanding was correct and that traffic at 11.5 didn’t need to worry about which way KSLC was landing.

But I got a good suggestion to route further north over KBMC which turns out to be better in multiple ways.

Don’t know all the details, though I did fly out of South Valley airport to follow I-80 to the East, two years ago. South Valley airport is just a little South of SLC airport. I just remained clear of the B airspace, though they may accommodate you, not terribly busy.
If weather allows, I-80 works great going East. Yes, a lot of special use airspace in the area.

I’d call to transition, if they balk, have the secondary plan ready.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1050.jpeg
    IMG_1050.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 3
How about SPATS intersection, V32 CEVAR V236 OGD KEVW. You would miss the military areas (that little strip of LUCIN MOA before Wendover only goes to 6500, and following I-80/V32 along there keeps you clear of the rest). Around Ogden, ATC might clear you through that piece of Bravo, but you could easily go just north to stay clear. Note this is basically the same as going over Brigham City, just not quite as far north.

Back