Saturday night airshow at AirVenture

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
I'm surprised no one has posted on this yet. I thought it was great! The airshow was followed by a relatively short but excellent fireworks show, which concluded with the infamous "Wall of Fire", which while impressive during the day, was breathtaking at night.

Well done, EAA.

I'm sorry that I missed it. Next year I'm staying longer. Great idea!
Asleep At The Wheel were great, too.

We saw some of the acro while driving home from Wendt's. KADS has a night show on July 3 each year, so we opted for perch & beer.

Yes! Night airshow was awesome. I was watching from row 81 in Vintage, so when Matt Younkin lit up the Twin Beech, it was right in front of us. I thought that Matt, the Aeroshell team, and Bob Carlton in the jet-powered motor glider were all really neat. And of course, the wall of fire! Very cool.

Yes! Night airshow was awesome. I was watching from row 81 in Vintage, so when Matt Younkin lit up the Twin Beech, it was right in front of us. I thought that Matt, the Aeroshell team, and Bob Carlton in the jet-powered motor glider were all really neat. And of course, the wall of fire! Very cool.

Well crap, Kent, we were mere yards apart. :cryin:

It was a certifiable hoot - a real blast. I especially appreciated the AeroShell T-6 team (lots of lights), and the glider was abso-frickin-lutely mesmerizing. That, alone, made the mosquitos (oh! the mosquitoes...) worth enduring.

I have a few pictures which I think will be worth looking at, and maybe a snippet of video; will try to post as soon as reasonably possible.

I think the twilight/night airshow's a hit.

And, Asleep at the Wheel was great, too.

I caught the last few minutes of the fireworks show from Museum parking lot following the Warbirds banquet in the Eagle Hangar. What I saw of it was very nice. You could feel the heat from the "wall of fire" that far away.

We decided to stay for the Night Air Show and Fireworks as well. It was awesome and if I knew how to upload video from my Android I would do so. :wink2:

John

Hmmm. If I can find my camera, maybe I can upload some video of the show. It was great, and I'd be shocked if this was the only time they put it on.

I'd be shocked if this was the only time they put it on.

They're talking about changing the Saturday airshow next year to start later, so it'll go straight through from the daytime acts to the twilight acts to the night acts. Not sure that's the best solution as it'll prevent Saturday evening departures and potentially move a LOT of departures to Sunday, which is already chock full of departures... But it's a new thing, so we'll see what happens. I'm sure looking forward to seeing it again!

They're talking about changing the Saturday airshow next year to start later, so it'll go straight through from the daytime acts to the twilight acts to the night acts. Not sure that's the best solution as it'll prevent Saturday evening departures and potentially move a LOT of departures to Sunday, which is already chock full of departures... But it's a new thing, so we'll see what happens. I'm sure looking forward to seeing it again!

Yep, bad choice. Also creates problems for folks who like to eat between say, 5:00 and 8:30. "You mean I've gotta miss part of the airshow to get supper?"

I think they did it right with a break between the afternoon and evening show - folks could go eat, go get a jacket if they were worried about chilly evenings, and go enjoy the music.

I hope they do it that way again next year.

I think they did it right with a break between the afternoon and evening show - folks could go eat, go get a jacket if they were worried about chilly evenings, and go enjoy the music.

I hope they do it that way again next year.

Don't forget the liberal application of bug spray to go along with the jacket. :yes:

Back