Russian Airshow 2007

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
powerpoint slide show attached - some amazing looking planes!

Attachments

• ZHUKOVSKY.pps
    4.8 MB · Views: 53
Sweet Pictures!

I've never read anything on counter-rotating propellers. It seems like the first prop would create distorted airflow for the second prop. Anyone know about them?

Then, I'd be very curious about how that VM-T Atlant overcomes the dang drag by that blimp-type carrier. I see only two ever ever made from a previous bomber and are now replaced by the An-225. Only one appears to still be in operation.

wonderful Greg, thanks!
OK if I post on Slideshare for some friends to see?
(Check out the Be12's....each has props clocked differently.....but matching the other aircrafts'!)

WOW, great pictures!

Lets see if I got these translations -

Tu-204 = 757ski
Tu-334 = DC-9ski (plus winglets)
Tu-160 = B-1Bski

:)

Dave - I got it via email with no attibution to the author, so I ass-u-me it's fair game for repost

Ken - The TU-79 Bear bomber flew contra-rotating props way back when I was still in the Navy ... dang ... 30 gulp years ago

Last edited:
Think of the drag on the AN-70 in OEI ops. I sure hope they have autofeather!

-Skip

Great pics! Thanks Greg. I especially like the Beriev flying boats.

Minor nit:

Counter-rotating props are the ones that rotate in opposite directions on two engines on a twin-engine plane so as to minimize turning tendencies and eliminate the critical engine. For example, a Seneca or Seminole, or the PA-39 Twin Comanches (the PA30's were not counter-rotating, the PA39's were.)

Contra-rotating props are where you have two props on one engine turning in opposite directions.

Very nice photos. I particularly like the low pass by the SU-27B. I think the guy in back is bracing for impact!

I have a video of a past Zhukovsy airshow. During the course of the airshow a Yak-38 VTOL is doing a hover demo and then flies out of camera frame. The narrator reported the pilot ejected just before it crashed at the airport boundary due to engine failure.

Great pics! Thanks Greg. I especially like the Beriev flying boats.

I have always loved the AN225. Its the one thing the Russians did right during their communist era!

cool Greg nice slide show. I too like the flying boats. I have always thought however that Russian planes were built to fall apart. While the pax planes look like a typical boeing or airbus I dunno if I'd feel warm and fuzzie about getting on one.

Back