Round runways & sectional symbology

Jim K

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Digits
Since I can't do actual instrument training right now, I've been using xplane to work on procedures. I like to open my efb, find a part of the country with actual ifr, and set up xplane with real time weather.

Last night, there was some weather moving across Michigan, so I 'flew' from Kelleys Island to Grosse Ile, MI, an island located between Detroit and Windsor, ON.

When the taxi diagram popped up, the center of the airport looked just like the airport symbol on a vfr sectional. I did a little research, and found that this 1500' diameter concrete circle was the original landing area. I was aware that early airports were round or square fields, and they always took off & landed directly into the wind, but I didn't know they were ever made of concrete. I don't know if this is why the chart symbol looks like it does, but it certainly is quite a coincidence.

Maybe this is all common knowledge, but I thought it was pretty cool, and a fun thing to stumble on accidentally. Anyone aware of any other paved landing areas like this that still exist?

Screenshot_20200511-204121_Earth.jpg

I should point out, the circular areas could used by the Navy for testing of the ZMC-2 as well, the only AlClad airship ever built, as it was built in Grosse Ile

The closest I can think of is Poso-Kern County Airport (L73), about ten miles north of Bakersfield CA.

From Wikipedia:

Built as the Poso Auxiliary Field or Poso Field Aux No. 6 was a satellite training airfield of Minter Field named for the city of Poso, California that was renamed Famoso, California. Poso Auxiliary Field covered 400 acres and was used for training World War 2 pilots in landing and take off. The US Army built a 3,000 by 3,000 landing mat airstrip in 1942. The Vultee BT-13 Valiant and Boeing-Stearman Model 75 were the most common plane used for training at Poso Auxiliary Field and the Minter Army Airfields. Poso Auxiliary Field was closed on October 8, 1946. In 1950 the west of runway became the Famoso Raceway, a dragstrip. The east side became Poso Airport.
This photo was taken in 1969. Today most of the paved area between the runway and the dragstrip has been torn up.

PICT0171.JPG

The old Mile Square Marine Corps OLF is now a golf course.

It was a huge paved square with a wind sock in the middle.

Back