Votes: 12 70.6%
  • cheese

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • red

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • π

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
I was able to get back home today after all! Left around 2pm. Last PoA'er off the ramp.

Smooth flight back at 3500 below the clouds. Peak gusts at my homedrome of 39kts down the runway.

Good trip. Glad to see everyone and meet some new folks!

So is this about the time when next year starts getting planned?

Scariest flight for us to date with 90deg crosswind, the airplane wouldn’t even turn base, was getting pushed left right up down was a roller coaster. Had to throttle back due to turbulence and was still doing 150-160kts GS.

IAS would be 70mph then 120mph, back and forth on approach.

Sorry I missed you all this year. First one I’ve missed in a long time. Can’t wait till next year!
We missed you. Teresa said "Where's Andy? I think this is the first fly-in I've been to that he hasn't."

Scariest flight for us to date with 90deg crosswind, the airplane wouldn’t even turn base, was getting pushed left right up down was a roller coaster. Had to throttle back due to turbulence and was still doing 150-160kts GS.

IAS would be 70mph then 120mph, back and forth on approach.
I've had that experience before. Not great when the stall light goes on and off and you're trying to stay above the white arc!

I have no idea what this pic is. I think my iphone was trippin'. pretty sure this was on the ramp one night..........

IMG_4706.jpg

Looks like you were trying to track my landing approach with the shutter open the whole time.

Actually a pretty cool looking picture.

The winds were bonker
Home

Left the airplane at Schaumburg due to low IFR 200’ ceilings with 1/4 SM visibility. 20 minutes into the Uber ride, KUGN goes VFR with 10 miles visibility.
At least you had a short Uber ride and didn't need to camp at the FBO or a hotel

The winds were bonker

At least you had a short Uber ride and didn't need to camp at the FBO or a hotel
We were both calming down for a good hour or so, in the meantime I wanted to move the airplane up 50 feet to a tie down spot, but of course my hot start technique needs some practice. Someone came out to tell me I was doing it wrong and wanted to start it for me, thank you for trying to help, my mind was in a different space at that moment, I was not capable of having a conversation lol.

I got the tow bar out, requires less thought.

I believe Easter is the 20th of April next year, so that probably eliminates that weekend and solidifies, as always, the last weekend in April.

That should be interesting…. I heard Mooney’s were not allowed to land there? :stirpot: Something about grass and biscuits or donuts or something.
lol… my first ever flight in a Mooney was there with @masloki . It’s easy peasy!

Says the guy who didn’t do the landing. ;)That said, Gaston’s has been no big deal compared to the gusty crosswinds yesterday after Rough River, or the nice 40 Kts LLWS at 6Y9.
lol… my first ever flight in a Mooney was there with @masloki . It’s easy peasy!

Says the guy who didn’t do the landing. ;)That said, Gaston’s has been no big deal compared to the gusty crosswinds yesterday after Rough River, or the nice 40 Kts LLWS at 6Y9.
Add IMC to minimums.

True. And also not typical laid back weather IMC. This was coming off the lake at 10-20kts, going from 170 at 2000’ to 050 at 750’. Even anticipating the significant wind shift, it was not a pretty approach to landing e.g. “why’s the runway going thataway?”
Add IMC to minimums.

Back