Review: Worx Trivac

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
A couple weeks ago, I saw the commercial for the Worx Trivac and I thought that it was a really neat tool. I've got about 1/4 acre of suburbia terra firma and it seems that all the winds blow the leaves onto my yard. I don't have the best yard in the cul-de-sac (my adjacent neighbor does), but I don't have the worse either (it's a close race between 3 of them, one of which lies on the other side adjacent to my house).

Considering that Mr. Green "Thumb", in the middle of the night, snuck out and picked up all the leaves in his yard, I figure he or his wife is now sending mean thought-waves in the general direction of my horticultural non-masterpiece and I ought to do something about it. This commercial might be a Divine message.

A quick google search indicates that it's received fair reviews and ... Oh look! There are competing products!!!!

The Worx Trivac is a 3-in-1 Blower/ Mulcher/Vacuum that I envisioned as to be the lazy leafers dream. Perfect for me.
WG500-action2.jpg

I decided to go with this, because after looking at the other options it seemed to be the best value and the reviewers said that it was a well made product and I agree.

A little background:
I mentioned cleaning up the leaves with this electric power tool to my wife, who then said that I should buy a rake. I said, "No". We had a similar conversation when I decided to buy the John Deere riding mower. She insisted that I will get good exercise and I thought that it wasn't the kind of exercise I wanted. No thanks I want to get the job done and enjoy the remainder of my day, not spend it doing chores. I'm going to Lowe's to check out the Worx.

She then suggested that I still buy the rake; that she'll do the raking. "Yeah, right", so I thought, "the rake will be used once and then hung in the garage never to be used by her again."

I got to the store and they didn't have the Trivac nor any of it's competitors. So I had a discussion with a wonderful young man about rakes. I tried a few and selected one. Then a young lady came by and we talked about rakes more and I changed my mind about which one, but ultimately settled on the one that a customer who represented himself as a lawn care guy had recommended.

I was disappointed that I couldn't at least see it, but she left me with enough information that I could order it and we struck a deal that I would come into the store after I got it and she would apply a discount to the price. She also informed me of other Lowe's stores that had one in stock....not-one local storer. But there was one store that showed 8 in the inventory and they were enroute to the in-law's house, which is where we were going for the Thanksgiving holiday. The thought crossed my mind about picking one up and that's just what I did on the return trip, as we literally passed right by Lowe's. I got the last one on the shelf.

Sunday morning, my wife decides to use HER rake (that I painstakingly chose for her raking comfort and enjoyment) and rake the front yard. After about an hour, I thought I'd come along as whisk away all the piles that she'd made and effortlessly bag them for pickup.

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

After easily assembling the unit, which they promised it would be easy, I had to run inside to grab the electric extension cords. I plug it in, perused the instructions and began to familiarize myself with the safe operation of the unit. It really was easy to figure out as advertised.

I began to vacuum the leaves with a satisfying grin on my face. I had to adjust the bagger a few times, until I found a comfortable position with the strap across my body, then I was really moving....or so I thought.

My wife stood there watching me pickup a pile of leaves that she'd raked. About 8-10 minutes elapsed and I am still not done; I need to dump the bag of mulched leaves. Word of Caution: Do Not wear your best Sunday going to church jeans to do this, they will get dusty and dirty. The bag easily disengages from the unit and opens with a zipper at the rear. After awhile, I think, I'd got the hang of bagging solo. But I did have to ask my wife to assist on the first one...and maybe the 3rd and 5th....

A few minutes more and I had the pile done. The mulch was pretty small and allowed the efficient use of the paper bags as required by the county for pickup. Another fulfilled promise of the advertising campaign of the Worx Trivac.

My wife somehow go the bright idea to start bagging a pile at the same time I started a new pile, just to see for comparison how much time it saved. Well, I'd like to say, "I dusted her", but I can't. She had bagged her leaves and then watched me continue to vacuum leaves with my new electric power tool, for about another 25-30 minutes.

After about another 45 minutes to clear away another pile, she asked to use my tool. I said okay, since it was starting to wear on my wrist, and perhaps she could do a faster job. However, I wouldn't relinquish the tool until I had an opportunity to try the blower mode. Not that powerful. My 2-stroke Ryobi is faster and makes more noise, blows more dust and is simply much more fun to use. I have to use earplugs and eye protection for goodness sake!

After I turned it over to her, I saw the air control knob was set to low air... and I thought that it had to be the reason for the lackluster performance. But the knob only controls blower speed not suction.

So, after several hours I finally had the front yard to near my satisfaction. I was disappointed and had expected to whiz through in 30 minutes. Next year, I'll just endure the annoyance of putting the bagger on my John Deere and do the entire lawn in about 90 minutes, including bagging.

After a shower, I finally decided I can suffer the Worx Trivac no more and it was not a good financial decision.

It was a well built product and lived up to all it advertised, but it just wasn't the right solution for me. See the picture above? I discovered later that it works very well clearing leaves from hard surfaces and not as well from grass, which is what I was working on.

If I had a larger lawn, I would invest in a standalone heavy duty mulcher. I would collect using my John Deere, which 2 years ago did a less than stellar cleanup job. Since then I have mounted a different blade, which I am hoping will do a better job. Maybe next summer I will decide on that Gator Blade.

I too had a blower / vac at one point and it just did not work very well at either blowing or vacuuming. A few years ago when my inexpensive blower failed I decided to get a real blower. I researched commercial backpack blowers. There are some very powerful ones out these today. Get one of the most powerful backpack blowers and it will cut the time down drastically, blow wet leaves off grass with ease and make the job fun.

I bought a Tanaka TBL-7800R and a Husqvarna 580BTS. Both are monster blowers. Get one of these and you will look forward to blowing.

Here is one hilarious review of the Tanaka:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tools/msg091028252096.html
23 of 30 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Earning Respect, January 1, 2010
By Alan E. Schmidt "Monkey head" (Las Vegas) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Tanaka Commercial Grade Gas Powered Large Backpack Blower Side-Mounted Throttle 65cc 4.3 HP 2-Stroke (CARB Compliant) TBL-7800 (Lawn & Patio)
In one word "DOMINATING". The Tanaka 65cc TBL-7800 has made me king of the cul-de-sac. They now call me the blow king.
Autumn. 2009. My Tanaka 65cc TBL-7800 arrived late in the afternoon. 4:16 p.m. A quick scan of the yards in the cul-de-sac revealed that the trees had left an abundance of prey all over. My adversaries, or as you would call them, my neighbors, were also surveying the battlefield. I locked eyes with my neighbor, Francis, I lowered my brow and gave him a "whats up" head nod. He returned my head nod with a demonic smile. Stupid french. It was on now. Oh Yeah. See you on the battlefield Saturday morning. What do the French know about blowing anyway.
Saturday morning. 6:55 a.m. Garages opened. The gladiators took the field. We sized each other up. Jaws dropped when I turned to the side and they saw the Tanaka 65cc TBL-7800 strapped to my back. Thats right boys. Drink it in. I just brought a semi truck to a demolition derby full of Hyundais. We all spotted the new guy at the same time and smiled. He wore sunglasses instead of ski goggles. HA HA, hope he likes watery eyes.... amateur.
7:00 a.m. Let the battle begin. City ordinance says no blowers before 7. It was like the gates opening at the Kentucky derby. The action started quickly.
New Guy - The TBL-7800 blew the sunglasses clean off his head. As he ran away I blew one of his flip flops off also. Like I said, amateur... Don't come into the wolf den wearing deer antlers, idiot. I took the sunglasses as a trophy. The flip flop ended up on the roof. He can kiss that one goodbye.
Francis - The leaves were flying, hot air burned my skin. I sacked up and plowed forward. I knew he was limited by his extension cord. The end came quickly. He surrendered in less than 2 minutes. Imagine that, the French surrendering quickly. Who would have thought.
I stood in the middle of my leaf free yard like a King. My scepter was the Tanaka 65cc TBL-7800. They lined up to kiss my ring and acknowledge the blow king. All except the new guy. We may have put him in therapy for awhile.
The Tanaka TBL-7800 slayed them all that day. Hands down, the clear winner. I did get a little hot on the back. Wear a good shirt. I wore cut off jeans, tank top, knee high moccasins, and ski goggles. Wanted to look respectful when sporting the TBL-7800. No doubt I did it justice.

Hmm, interesting..

My parents just use a standard gas powered backpack blower. However, since they have 3 acres of lawn the blower doesn't work very well. About the only thing to do is spend an afternoon raking, loading, hauling, and dumping leaves. I've had countless cuts and bruises from riding in the trailer as a kid. :lol:

Now my grandmother just rakes the leaves into the driveway or the garden, which ever is closer, and uses her propane blowtorch. :yes:

My wife and I did this same thing yesterday only I used a shop vac.
Picking the damn things up is just faster

I was constantly dislodging packed leaves from the hose.

The first time I used one of the new commercial blowers referenced in the other post I was amazed. I opened up on a pile of leaves which had collected between the house and garage. Immediately after starting to blow I noticed something about the size of a baseball, airborne at around eye level and 6-8 feet away from me flying away from me at a rapid speed. I was not sure what it was at first and it took a moment to focus on it so I could identify it. After a moment of focusing I realized it was a toad which unbeknownst to me had been hiding in the leaves. I never saw that toad again.

The first time I used one of the new commercial blowers referenced in the other post I was amazed. I opened up on a pile of leaves which had collected between the house and garage. Immediately after starting to blow I noticed something about the size of a baseball, airborne at around eye level and 6-8 feet away from me flying away from me at a rapid speed. I was not sure what it was at first and it took a moment to focus on it so I could identify it. After a moment of focusing I realized it was a toad which unbeknownst to me had been hiding in the leaves. I never saw that toad again.

HUsqvarna Toad-Blow 5000 (c)(tm) :D

The problem even with the vacuums that work, is that they NEVER have enough capacity. I rented a "billy goat" which has a bigger bag that my riding lawnmower. Still it only took a few rows of passes before the bag got full and needed to be emptied. It's faster to attack the yard with blowers.

We've got big mature trees at the Steinholme, and we get lots of leaves. I tried a vacuum setting on my blower and it was more trouble than it was worth. Now I just blow them out of the beds and away front he fences, and rake and bag.

Rather be flying any day.

Bagging them up, that's the time killer.

I use a Stihl BR-600 Magnum

http://stihlusa.com/products/blowers-and-shredder-vacs/professional-blowers/br600/

(I like it) to move all the leaves, toads, rocks, bedrock, whatever from beside the house and other structures. I just blow them out onto the lawn, which doesn't take long, about as fast as you can walk.

Then I go over them with the Billy Goat all terrain mower.

http://www.billygoat.com/Product-Categories/Detail/bc26-series-outback-fixed-deck-brushcutter

Nothing but dust left, no bagging, I hate bagging.

Came home early today from a cancelled class for work to find a plethora of leaves on the lawn. It's a self-repeating problem.

It rained today. Perhaps this weekend, I'll fire up the JD tractor.

Back