resuming basic med after 2 years, discontinued meds

Basic Guy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Basic guy
flew for several years BM. developed advanced RA that became very painful. Stopped flying 3 years ago while trying non approved meds. primarily gabapentin. Gapapentin worked pretty well until recently started noticing some cognitive issues. I also started taking Kratom back then. Between the two I felt very little pain. Kratom during the mornings and Gaba at bedtime.
I curtailed my flying because i knew gabapentin was forbidden. Kratom didn't come up on the medication list. I know better now :( Anyway I lost interest in flying.
I have a couple of questions. one is a real concern.
I decided that I would like to continue flying and I needed to discontinue these medications. or medication and supplements "kratom".
Upon discontinuation gabapentin I found it was difficult. Didn't see it coming. Kratom was not much of an issue. Some RLS.
My life long Dr retired and i needed to find a new Dr to advise me how to go about stopping these things. He stated i was addicted and had to start a taper program. he. put me on Clonidine and pramipexole for RLS. Both work wonderful

My main concern is the question on the Basic medical form about ever been diagnosed with addiction. Im not a drinker nor have I ever used illegal drugs or have used any opioids in the last 5 years. "prescription only"
What do I check? I know my basic med files are kept with me but in the event of any insurance claim or FAA investigation I might be in a bit of trouble if i check that wrong.

Second question is time off these meds to resume my flying?

What is considered discontinued? The last time i received a new script of gaba my RA doctor sent in a refill for 180 days. Is it 30 days after the script runs out or a period of time i discontinue? Its been 32days off Gabapentin and 15 off kratom.

“Upon discontinuation gabapentin I found it was difficult. Didn't see it coming. Kratom was not much of an issue. Some RLS. My life long Dr retired and i needed to find a new Dr to advise me how to go about stopping these things. He stated i was addicted and had to start a taper program. he. put me on Clonidine and pramipexole for RLS. Both work wonderful.”

You do not qualify for BM after a clinical diagnosis of substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in §67.307(a)(4) of 14 Code of Federal Regulations

67.308(a)(4) Substance dependence, except where there is established clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years. As used in this section—
(i) “Substance” includes: alcohol; other sedatives and hypnotics; anxiolytics; opioids; central nervous system stimulants such as cocaine, amphetamines, and similarly acting sympathomimetics; hallucinogens; phencyclidine or similarly acting arylcyclohexylamines; cannabis; inhalants; and other psychoactive drugs and chemicals; and
(ii) “Substance dependence” means a condition in which a person is dependent on a substance, other than tobacco or ordinary xanthine-containing (e.g., caffeine) beverages, as evidenced by—
(A) Increased tolerance;
(B) Manifestation of withdrawal symptoms;
(C) Impaired control of use; or
(D) Continued use despite damage to physical health or impairment of social, personal, or occupational functioning.

Last edited:
If there are any light sport aircraft available for rent nearby, that would be an option while waiting for the two-years to run out.

“Upon discontinuation gabapentin I found it was difficult. Didn't see it coming. Kratom was not much of an issue. Some RLS. My life long Dr retired and i needed to find a new Dr to advise me how to go about stopping these things. He stated i was addicted and had to start a taper program. he. put me on Clonidine and pramipexole for RLS. Both work wonderful.”

You do not qualify for BM after a clinical diagnosis of substance dependence within the previous 2 years, as defined in §67.307(a)(4) of 14 Code of Federal Regulations

67.308(a)(4) Substance dependence, except where there is established clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years. As used in this section—
(i) “Substance” includes: alcohol; other sedatives and hypnotics; anxiolytics; opioids; central nervous system stimulants such as cocaine, amphetamines, and similarly acting sympathomimetics; hallucinogens; phencyclidine or similarly acting arylcyclohexylamines; cannabis; inhalants; and other psychoactive drugs and chemicals; and
(ii) “Substance dependence” means a condition in which a person is dependent on a substance, other than tobacco or ordinary xanthine-containing (e.g., caffeine) beverages, as evidenced by—
(A) Increased tolerance;
(B) Manifestation of withdrawal symptoms;
(C) Impaired control of use; or
(D) Continued use despite damage to physical health or impairment of social, personal, or occupational functioning.

FWIW, 14CFR §67.307(a)(4) is for a 3rd class medical, which BasicMed is not.

Palmpilot is correct. This situation is incorporated into the BasicMed big 3 by reference.

But the 15 are very much not limitations. Just the 3.

If there are any light sport aircraft available for rent nearby, that would be an option while waiting for the two-years to run out.
You need to read the 67.306 again. established clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years.

A person not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner. I think the FAA would consider lack of clinical evidence of recovery as reason to know they can’t operate an LSA in a safe manner.

You need to read the 67.306 again. established clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years.

A person not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner. I think the FAA would consider lack of clinical evidence of recovery as reason to know they can’t operate an LSA in a safe manner.
BasicMed references 67.306. The sport pilot rules do not.

BasicMed references 67.306. The sport pilot rules do not.
A person may not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner is a SP regulation.

Unless you think the FAA considers untreated substance dependence as able to operate an LSA in a safe manor.

It's a tricky reference, but it's in the special issuance section of BasicMed. 68.9(a)(1)(iv) calls out the 3rd class standard of 67.307(a)(4) which references psychoactive drugs. Gabapentin is classified as pyschoactive because the brain adapts to it's use which, which as the OP found establishes dependence.

Choices are a special issuance under 3rd class rules.
Be off the drug for 2 years and become eligible again.

And I'll admit that without having read through all the references and medical information, I would never have caught that.

A person may not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner is a SP regulation.

Unless you think the FAA considers untreated substance dependence as able to operate an LSA in a safe manor.
How about treated dependence?

Being drug-free and proving it to the FAA are two different things. If he's no longer under the influence of the substances involved, then he doesn't have reason to believe know that he's unsafe.

[Edited to reflect Clip4's correction.}

Last edited:
Gabapentin, in particular, requires quite a long taper, often many weeks, even if you've only used it for a month or so.

Being drug-free and proving it to the FAA are two different things. If he's no longer under the influence of the substances involved, then he doesn't have reason to believe that he's unsafe.

Reason - a statement or fact that explains why something is the way it is.
Know - be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.
Believe - accept (something) as true

George hasn’t done meth for a week. He doesn’t believe he has a medical condition that would make him unsafe to operate an aircraft, but he has a reason to know. The regulation does not contain the word believe and his beliefs are irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reason - a statement or fact that explains why something is the way it is.
Know - be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information.
Believe - accept (something) as true

George hasn’t done meth for a week. He doesn’t believe he has a medical condition that would make him unsafe to operate an aircraft, but he has a reason to know. The regulation does not contain the word believe and his beliefs are irrelevant.
You're right, I misquoted the regulation and have edited my post accordingly. I don't consider his beliefs to be definitive. I'm just saying that the objective reality of whether he's under the influence of a drug that could make him unsafe to fly is not the same thing as convincing the FAA of whether he is safe to fly or not. For a person who is exercising sport-pilot privileges, the responsible thing to do would be to seek expert advice on what that objective reality is.

Back