Aloha

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
I'm a PPL currently wrapping up my IR with the end goal of flying professionally. (Don't worry, this isn't an "are the airlines going to be hiring X years from now?!" post.) I'm hoping somebody will be able to give me some insight into a couple opportunities that I have. Both of these jobs are full-time and after speaking with both hiring managers, it sounds like they are both semi-flexible on creating a schedule to give me a few days each week that I can dedicate to time-building up to 250 for CPL & CFI (which at this point is my primary focus.)

My thought process is to start building an aviation resume for when I hit the magic 1,500 hours. I don't know what the hiring landscape will look like when I get there, but I'd rather have some experience outside of the standard 1,200 dual given CFI/CFII resumes that I assume flood the job boards daily. I have solid experience in the business world over the past 13 years, but unfortunately not a ton of those skills/jobs translate into aviation.

Job 1 is a Dispatcher at a local 121 school. Check planes in/out, verify endorsements/docs, deal with scheduling/maintenance, all of the standard stuff. I'm currently at student at a Part 61 school, so working in more structured environment that is supposed to emulate professional flight is intriguing. I'm hoping it will open the door for a CFI position there, once I get to that point. I think I'm building a decent reputation at my current flight school as well to eventually instruct, but it would be nice to have my foot in the door in a couple places when that time comes.

Job #2 is a Line Service Tech at a GA airport nearby with a ton of 91 & 135 jet operations. Heavily labor intensive and unbearably hot in the summer, but I always hear the anecdotal stories of somebody shaking the right person's hand that lead to their career.

The pay is obviously terrible for each position, but I've been fortunate to come from a career that's allowing me to pay for flight school out of pocket without the stress of HAVING to work as well. I'm purely looking at these as resume builders and/or networking opportunities. The way I'm seeing it is that a Dispatcher position may be beneficial to getting a CFI slot and that's about it. I don't imagine it carries a ton of weight once I'm talking to the big boys, but maybe I'm wrong. I think the Line Service Tech position probably carries zero weight for any other job in aviation and that I'm just rolling the dice hoping to hit a jackpot by talking to the right person at the right time to score an unbelievable opportunity to hop into a jet as a low hour pilot and (hopefully) skip instructing altogether.

I'm hoping somebody who has made their rounds through 135, regionals, majors/legacies, etc could shed some light. Would either of these positions on a resume stand out over the other? Are either of them even worth it or should I just continue full steam and rack up my hours, drop resumes on desks, and do the CFI grind?

Given the tone of your post take whatever path gives you the least interaction with flight students.

I can’t answer the better resume option as I’m not in the industry. Do you need to take either job as a full time gig? Why not do part-time at both? You can get both experiences and maybe find one you like better, and if you wanted, go full time at that point? If you have 2 separate part-time jobs, you would forgo any overtime however, like if you worked 25 hours at each vs 50 hrs at one.

Want to work indoors or outdoors, because neither is a flying position. The ramper job *may* be a better opportunity to network, assuming you understand your role is to provide them with excellent service and not chat them up about a career transition.

Last edited:
I can’t answer the better resume option as I’m not in the industry. Do you need to take either job as a full time gig? Why not do part-time at both? You can get both experiences and maybe find one you like better, and if you wanted, go full time at that point? If you have 2 separate part-time jobs, you would forgo any overtime however, like if you worked 25 hours at each vs 50 hrs at one.
Unfortunately both are full-time, but I appreciate the idea!

The flight school dispatcher job is being a receptionist. Except for walk-ins and answering the phone, everything can be done online by the CFIs and A&Ps.

Want to work indoors or outdoors, because neither is a flying position. The ramper job *may* be a better opportunity to network, assuming you understand your role is to problem them with excellent service and not chat them up about a career transition.
Makes sense. I'm a big believer in letting your work show for itself and hopefully an opportunity would arise from it.

Makes sense. I'm a big believer in letting your work show for itself and hopefully an opportunity would arise from it.

Just for clarity, the word problem in my original post should have been provide. I’ve corrected my OP.

Not that it was one of the options, but what about working dispatch for an airline? Might give you some insights to the industry and potentially some internal contacts to source when applying for a position later.

What is a Part 121 school?????

While I'm not a pilot, this hasn't been my experience in the workforce at all. Network and never assume someone else understands the work you've done to deliver or do any specific thing. It's not always/almost never obvious to the outside.

Neither job is a resume builder, just pick whenever one feels right to you.

Neither job is a resume builder, just pick whenever one feels right to you.
Honestly, this is the thought I've had in the back of my head. I've been a hiring manager for the past decade in financial services, but I have zero idea what corporate/airlines/flight schools are looking for outside of TT and/or certs.. just thought it may be a good differentiator to have experience. If there's truly no value in either position I'll just carry on building hours chasing the dream :)

Honestly, this is the thought I've had in the back of my head. I've been a hiring manager for the past decade in financial services, but I have zero idea what corporate/airlines/flight schools are looking for outside of TT and/or certs.. just thought it may be a good differentiator to have experience. If there's truly no value in either position I'll just carry on building hours chasing the dream :)
That’s pretty much it. Some corp/135s may value an A&P cert in addition to your pilot certs.

College degree will be a plus.

I had a front office person who works for a charter operation try to encourage me to submit my info to their charter, despite telling her that I was a non-instrument rated private pilot. Since they supposedly had a Baron or something similar that I could technically fly if I got the ME added on, lol. Never mind the whole "not a Commercial pilot" thing.

I had a front office person who works for a charter operation try to encourage me to submit my info to their charter, despite telling her that I was a non-instrument rated private pilot. Since they supposedly had a Baron or something similar that I could technically fly if I got the ME added on, lol. Never mind the whole "not a Commercial pilot" thing.
Maybe they were hoping you'd split the pro-rata share!

Work the ramp,start networking you never know who you will meet.

I'm a PPL currently wrapping up my IR with the end goal of flying professionally. (Don't worry, this isn't an "are the airlines going to be hiring X years from now?!" post.) I'm hoping somebody will be able to give me some insight into a couple opportunities that I have. Both of these jobs are full-time and after speaking with both hiring managers, it sounds like they are both semi-flexible on creating a schedule to give me a few days each week that I can dedicate to time-building up to 250 for CPL & CFI (which at this point is my primary focus.)

My thought process is to start building an aviation resume for when I hit the magic 1,500 hours. I don't know what the hiring landscape will look like when I get there, but I'd rather have some experience outside of the standard 1,200 dual given CFI/CFII resumes that I assume flood the job boards daily. I have solid experience in the business world over the past 13 years, but unfortunately not a ton of those skills/jobs translate into aviation.

Job 1 is a Dispatcher at a local 121 school. Check planes in/out, verify endorsements/docs, deal with scheduling/maintenance, all of the standard stuff. I'm currently at student at a Part 61 school, so working in more structured environment that is supposed to emulate professional flight is intriguing. I'm hoping it will open the door for a CFI position there, once I get to that point. I think I'm building a decent reputation at my current flight school as well to eventually instruct, but it would be nice to have my foot in the door in a couple places when that time comes.

Job #2 is a Line Service Tech at a GA airport nearby with a ton of 91 & 135 jet operations. Heavily labor intensive and unbearably hot in the summer, but I always hear the anecdotal stories of somebody shaking the right person's hand that lead to their career.

The pay is obviously terrible for each position, but I've been fortunate to come from a career that's allowing me to pay for flight school out of pocket without the stress of HAVING to work as well. I'm purely looking at these as resume builders and/or networking opportunities. The way I'm seeing it is that a Dispatcher position may be beneficial to getting a CFI slot and that's about it. I don't imagine it carries a ton of weight once I'm talking to the big boys, but maybe I'm wrong. I think the Line Service Tech position probably carries zero weight for any other job in aviation and that I'm just rolling the dice hoping to hit a jackpot by talking to the right person at the right time to score an unbelievable opportunity to hop into a jet as a low hour pilot and (hopefully) skip instructing altogether.

I'm hoping somebody who has made their rounds through 135, regionals, majors/legacies, etc could shed some light. Would either of these positions on a resume stand out over the other? Are either of them even worth it or should I just continue full steam and rack up my hours, drop resumes on desks, and do the CFI grind?

I have zero insight into commercial flying. I’ve never read of a good resume helping except for maybe prior service.

Sounds great for networking.

I’d focus on any higher level goals that help reach the endgame faster

I would keep working at your current job, perhaps reduced working hours and remote if able. Two of my flight instructors in the last year were working part-time remotely for the jobs they were leaving behind, in between students at the airport. Rainy days, you can catch up. I plan to do just that if able when I make it to CFI. At least a transition period. I'm pretty senior at my company, and I will like to offer them plenty time to fill my seat and train the replacement while I work as a CFI. CFI will be a big pay cut and I have young kids to feed so the part time pay at a higher rate makes it a softer blow.
Your current position sounds experienced and senior and includes interaction with people. You can definitely find skills that transfer into professional aviation in reality and for the resume.

Back