Repositioning pilot - Cessna 182R

dragon_soldier

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dragon Soldier
I am looking for a repositioning pilot to move my 182R from KFDW to KFHB (Island Avionics). The plane (N4743E) is a 1982 182R that will need to be moved early August. Please PM me if you have experience in 182s and over 500 hours. While the IFR certification is good, the GPS database is out of date.

Nov 2022 IFR Certification
L3 Lynx 9000 ADS-B in & out; S-TEC 50 autopilot with heading and altitude hold; WX1000 storm
scope; Bendix King KLN 94 GPS & KMD 550 MFD; KX 155 NavComm with glide slope & localizer

I could do it for you. Stopped counting my time yeasrs ago with 4500+ hours. Probably 15 hours or so in a 182.

Josh is doing my avionics in my 421C mid August as well. His brother is my A&P/IA.

900 hrs here(500 since last Nov :p). I think I have about 25 hrs in the 182.

His note on 500 hours in a 182 is that will satisfy the open pilot clause of the insurance. 25 hours only would require you to be added to the insurance directly as a named pilot which could impact the premiums.

His note on 500 hours in a 182 is that will satisfy the open pilot clause of the insurance. 25 hours only would require you to be added to the insurance directly as a named pilot.
I don't think that's correct. Seen my share of policies. More likely the open pilot warranty requires 500 hours logged total (or PIC) time in any aircraft and 25 in the 182. That would be normal. 500 hours time in type in a 182 for an open pilot warranty would be the single most burdensome underwriting requirement I have ever seen.

We don't know what would be required to add the instructor to the policy until the instructor fills out an application and the insurer comes out with an underwriting decision. Requirements for naming someone in the policy as an approved pilot vary with the pilot and their overall experience level.

I don't think that's correct. Seen my share of policies. More likely the open pilot warranty requires 500 hours logged total (or PIC) time in any aircraft and 25 in the 182. That would be normal. 500 hours time in type in a 182 for an open pilot warranty would be the single most burdensome underwriting requirement I have ever seen.

We don't know what would be required to add the instructor to the policy until the instructor fills out an application and the insurer comes out with an underwriting decision. Requirements for naming someone in the policy as an approved pilot vary with the pilot and their overall experience level.
Good to know! I always interpreted my open pilot clause the same way masloki did.
Now I gotta go re-read my policy, too. Maybe I can have people fly my arrow that don't have a billion hours pa28r time.

Good to know! I always interpreted my open pilot clause the same way masloki did.
Now I gotta go re-read my policy, too. Maybe I can have people fly my arrow that don't have a billion hours pa28r time.
The last policy I had on my Arrow back in 2020 had a pretty tough open pilot warranty, but I was the only pilot and I don’t share well with others so that wasn’t a feature I shopped for. They required an instrument rating, 750 total time, 150 retract time, and 10 in make/model.

By contrast, my current RV-14 policy requires 5 hours in type, a checkout in type with a CFI within the past year, or 500 total time including 100 tailwheel and 25 in any Van’s tailwheel. Any one of those three things is sufficient.

These things are all over the board and it’s worth looking closely.

Well I'll be damned. I could have sworn my policy used to be much more restrictive... That's pretty generous for a retract.

Screenshot_20240731-195933~2.png

I think I might have mixed up my open pilot clause with the restrictions they put on who had to do my initial checkout when I bought it.

Also sorry OP for the thread drift! But you mentioned you already found a ferry pilot :)

Well I'll be damned. I could have sworn my policy used to be much more restrictive... That's pretty generous for a retract.

View attachment 131986

I think I might have mixed up my open pilot clause with the restrictions they put on who had to do my initial checkout when I bought it.

Also sorry OP for the thread drift! But you mentioned you already found a ferry pilot :)
The “within the last 180 days” for retract time is one I haven’t seen before.

Back