Regional Pilot Upgrade Time?

onoiocoko

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyby
I am working for a mapping company building time in twins right now. About 1000hrs. Regionals are raising their minimums to around 1200-1500 right now and i should be around that next summer. I know some of this is due to new safety criteria, but is any of it due to the lack of qualifying captains? Like when they hired too many people at 4-500 hours and they still don't have their ATP 1500?

I've heard that hours coming in don't do much, and its still going to be around 3 years?

Didn't know where to post this since I did not see a professional forum.

Thanks for the recommendation. Great site.

I just think its simply supply and demand. There are more pilots looking for jobs, so they can raise the mins and be picky in who they hire.

Cheers

The minimum hours might be 1,000 or 1,500, but the competitive minimum hours could be much higher.

I think it's mostly to do with the Airline Safety Act of 2010. Under the new rules (see the NPRM issued earlier this year), even SIC's will have to hold an ATP, which means 1500 hours.* There's no telling exactly when the new rules will take effect, so it would be unwise for the regionals to hire anyone who isn't at least close to the 1500 hours and will be ATP-eligible by the time the rules take effect.

* There are exceptions for former military pilots (750 hours) and graduates of certain university aviation programs (1000 hours), but I suspect that's not your case.

The minimum hours might be 1,000 or 1,500, but the competitive minimum hours could be much higher.

From what I've heard, the regionals really don't have the applicant pool to be picky right now. Some are even offering signing bonuses

From what I've heard, the regionals really don't have the applicant pool to be picky right now. Some are even offering signing bonuses that could in some cases drive first-year compensation to an all-time high level of almost $20,000.

FTFY.

Back