Recommended IFR route central Texas to Panama City

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Might be making a lengthy business trip from San Diego to Panama City, FL in October. Since it will be a long trip 3-4 weeks, I was toying with the idea of flying myself there.

If I do it (the realization that October is still within hurrican season kind of makes me think twice about leaving a plane parked outside for 3-4 weeks), I'd overnight in either Greenville, TX or Austin. I've done San Diego to Texas a few times, but this would be the first time flying east of Houston. Low Altitude airways look like a bit of a jumble along the Gulf Coast and Fltplan.com doesn't have any recommendations.

Anyone here have a recommended routing? I would be going to ECP.

I am getting, from the AOPA planner KEDC-KECP
CWK TNV ZMSKL DAS LCH LFT BTR PCU SJI CEW DEFUN
have flown it a few times although I don't recall zmskl off Navasota.
That is about as straight as you can get without /G.
I put you off Austin Exec, which is receiving rave reviews.

edit I think you can drop that z-waypoint, its V306 all the way to Lake Charles.

Last edited:
Might be making a lengthy business trip from San Diego to Panama City, FL in October. Since it will be a long trip 3-4 weeks, I was toying with the idea of flying myself there.

If I do it (the realization that October is still within hurrican season kind of makes me think twice about leaving a plane parked outside for 3-4 weeks), I'd overnight in either Greenville, TX or Austin. I've done San Diego to Texas a few times, but this would be the first time flying east of Houston. Low Altitude airways look like a bit of a jumble along the Gulf Coast and Fltplan.com doesn't have any recommendations.

Anyone here have a recommended routing? I would be going to ECP.
The Florida panhandle is a breeze, especially IFR.:D the airspace is complicated, but the controllers are very GA friendly, gps direct to an intersection or airport is normal.:D
You usually have a week notice of a hurricane approaching, got move north if it's headed your way, Atlanta is nice for a couple daysin October. ;)

The Florida panhandle is a breeze, especially IFR.:D the airspace is complicated, but the controllers are very GA friendly, gps direct to an intersection or airport is normal.:D
You usually have a week notice of a hurricane approaching, got move north if it's headed your way, Atlanta is nice for a couple daysin October. ;)

Welcome to POA, John!

Thanks Troy! I've been on the red board for several years.;)

I'll add to the welcome.

Red Board's fine, but we like our signal to noise ratio here.

John: I normally file the DP from Dallas to Alexandria AEX; then direct Mobile area (Semmes VOR is SJI. I'd file direct Panama City from there but be prepared to be vectored north along V198 to DEFUN intersection just east of Crestview VOR CEW.

If you stay on the airway, activity at the airbases won't interfere. Tyndall normally isn't an issue but Eglin is. Somewhere after DEFUN you should get vectors or direct to Panama City.

If the airspace isn't busy, they may put you direct sooner. The folks are excellent at working with you, but it really get busy at times and I've had my routing change several times.

Have a great trip. If you stay at Greenville, you're just a hop from several of us at Addison.

Best,

Dave

Yeah, not so much worried about the weather for the transit itself because of that sort of heads up, but more concerned about parking a plane outdoors at ECP for an extended stay. I'd hate to have my return ride end up upside down in another county!

Any thoughts on mitigating that risk?

Yeh, if they start announcing hurricanes, get out of dodge.

Hurricanes don't just show up over night, you'll know it's coming. They'll give LOTS of warning asking folks to leave.

You generally don't have to go too far north to get out of the danger zone. An hour and a half flight north of ECP and you'd be fine.

ATC in this area of the country is very laid back and you can generally go direct (if able) from quite a ways out.

Just pick a place that you don't mind spending 2-3 days at!

Dave's right - if it's going to be bad enough that hangaring the plane is insufficient, most likely there will be enough damage to cause problems with work. You do get notice of a storm, so likely not an issue - and if you need to move the plane out, I'd be there are some friendly pilots willing to help out.

If you're in ECP and a hurricane comes, I'd be willing to help you find a hangar north of ECP. I'm sure we could put you in the communal for a few days. :)

Remember, IF we get a hurricane, every airplane that can fly, and isn't over insured will be moving northward. So the earlier you move, the easier it will be to find a hangar, or even a tie down.:D

Remember, IF we get a hurricane, every airplane that can fly, and isn't over insured will be moving northward. So the earlier you move, the easier it will be to find a hangar, or even a tie down.:D

I had to go pick up a friend of ours daughter in Destin to evac her for Ivan, I think it was. One of the controllers on the way down told me I was the only bird on his scope headed south and wondered if I knew there was a storm coming.

My mom works front desk at Sheltair at ECP. If you need anything, just ask for Lynn! Spike and Dave can vouch!

Keep in mind there are only tie downs. I dont think they have any hanger space so watch the thunderstorms.

Last edited:
If you go to ECP, go to Sheltair! You will receive top notch service! Ask for Lynn!

Back