Procedure Turn Question

Following up on banjo, the fact that the holding pattern you ask about it is depicted with a light line rather than a bold line answers your question...when executing an instrument approach it is the bold black lines that you should follow.

Another clue is that the only place the minimum altitude for the holding pattern is specified is in the missed approach instructions.

Another clue is that the only place the minimum altitude for the holding pattern is specified is in the missed approach instructions.

If it were an arrival hold the MHA often won't be published. Only Mr. Goodcontrol has it.

I mentioned in another thread that it's specified in the Aeronautical Chart User's Guide, where it says "Arrival Holding Pattern altitude restrictions will be indicated when they deviate from the adjacent leg." (See page 83.)

I'm too jaded to accept that. :)

If I were cleared by ATC into an arrival hold, I would expect an altitude assignment for the hold. None given, I would be asking.

I'm too jaded to accept that. :)

If I were cleared by ATC into an arrival hold, I would expect an altitude assignment for the hold. None given, I would be asking.
Maybe I'm jaded too. My first self-question after hearing an instruction is "Am I sure I understand what ATC wants me to do?" With the slightest doubt, the query to ATC comes automatically.

Maybe I'm jaded too. My first self-question after hearing an instruction is "Am I sure I understand what ATC wants me to do?" With the slightest doubt, the query to ATC comes automatically.
But Mark -- we're pilots! We're Type A, hard charging, commanding independent personalities. We never show weakness by stopping at gas stations to ask directions or asking ATC for clarification. :nonod:

Back