private pilot license foreign based issue

HaryPha

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Harrylu
Hi everyone, I have a question that I would like answered
I am a foreign student and I have a private pilot license from New Zealand and was able to exchange it for an FAA Private pilot license (foreign based) and my school in NZ is closed. I completed IFR training in US , but when it was time to take the test, I encountered some problems with paperwork and private pilot license. According to my old logbook my private pilot license need to take flight review that expired a few days ago but my IFR checkride will be in 10 days, is there any way to solve this problem

thank you very much

Last edited:
The instrument checkride should count for a bfr.

The instrument checkride should count for a bfr.
My FAA PPL (foreign based) is under the conditions of a NZ license , but the NZ logbook sticker already needs a flight review , but can i take IFR checkride whose previous flight review ? (expired a few days ago)
thank you

If your NZ certificate is out of flight review, you cannot exercise privileges of the US certificate that is based on the NZ certificate.

But will a US bfr substitute? Dunno. I’d call FSDO.
Only if it suffices for the NZ CAA, which is a NZ thing, not an FAA thing.

Alternatively, he could obtain a US student pilot certificate and pursue a U.S. based private pilot certificate by passing the PP knowledge test and practical test.

Why would you expect a FSDO ASI in the US know the internal regulatory requirements of a foreign country? I barely expect them to know all the rules that apply here!
Because the FAA deals with foreign pilots all the time & there may be international agreements covering reciprocity that we know nothing of. Someone, somewhere in the FAA has compiled a chart.

Only if it suffices for the NZ CAA, which is a NZ thing, not an FAA thing.

Alternatively, he could obtain a US student pilot certificate and pursue a U.S. based private pilot certificate by passing the PP knowledge test and practical test.
Maybe, maybe not. Reciprocity agreements with other WEIRD nations are common at the federal level, particularly since we train so many foreign pilots. I think I would get a US BFR to have in my back pocket while I investigate the rest of the issue.

Because the FAA deals with foreign pilots all the time & there may be international agreements covering reciprocity that we know nothing of. Someone, somewhere in the FAA has compiled a chart.
Why look for someone, somewhere, when you can go to the actual source, or at least their documentation?

Using privileges of a New Zealand pilot licence on a validation from a foreign NAA

If you’re utilising the privileges of your New Zealand pilot licence on a validation from a foreign National Aviation Authority (NAA), and your Biennial Flight Review (BFR) is due to expire or has expired and you are unable to regain currency with a current NZ instructor, you’ll need to engage with the NAA responsible for issuing the validation for an approval to keep operating without a BFR.

Could you ask the DPE if he or she would be willing to serve as PIC for the checkride? This is not normally done... the candidate usually is the PIC and must be legal to do so... but the rules do allow the DPE to be the PIC for instrument rides under some circumstances if the candidate can't (such as if the ride is going to go into actual). If the DPE says yes, then you take your ride and it serves as a BFR. If the DPE says no, then you're back to this question.

Could you ask the DPE if he or she would be willing to serve as PIC for the checkride? This is not normally done... the candidate usually is the PIC and must be legal to do so... but the rules do allow the DPE to be the PIC for instrument rides under some circumstances if the candidate can't (such as if the ride is going to go into actual). If the DPE says yes, then you take your ride and it serves as a BFR. If the DPE says no, then you're back to this question.
That still doesn’t address the question of a NZ flight review.

Back