Private pilot flying a candidate in a federal election

The only way you can get any money for flying (I believe) as a Private is to be reimbursed for expenses if you're traveling alone for business by your business as a personal travel business expense. If you take someone else or carry anything for the business that can be considered cargo, then back to "no".

I always thought it odd that flying a political candidate was lumped in with towing an advertising banner, tossing out parachute jumpers, and crop dusting. Maybe political candidates are a bit more "expendable" than the average 135 passenger LOL.

I also want to add that although here on POA we see the same topics again and again and again, THIS one about political candidates is one I don't think I've seen before!
Hooray for being unique!

I always thought it odd that flying a political candidate was lumped in with towing an advertising banner, tossing out parachute jumpers, and crop dusting.

If you toss out a politician, do you have to give him a parachute? Maybe it would be better to grind one into a fine powder and dust a crop......

What politician for federal office would want to hire a PP in a C172..??

I suppose one that doesn’t care much about whether or not he’s around for his inauguration, and hasn’t given much thought about the appearance of showing up in a 172 at a muni airport that hasn’t been mowed in a month.

What politician for federal office would want to hire a PP in a C172..??
To be fair, they didn't want to "hire" me. They needed a ride in a limited amount of time from Point A to Point B across a very big state to participate in a July 4 parade. I said I had a plane and could get them there in the time allowed. Then, upon further research, it turns out that I cannot fly them from Point A to Point B.

They asked for a "fast" ride. I offered.

I suppose one that doesn’t care much about whether or not he’s around for his inauguration, and hasn’t given much thought about the appearance of showing up in a 172 at a muni airport that hasn’t been mowed in a month.
One whose father was a GA pilot and who needed a ride to a municipal airport in the mountains with a >7,000' paved runway (that has hosted AF1) and has regular out-of-state commercial service during the summers.

Last edited:
Back