Please help me pick my second motorcycle

Well, it looks like I come down to two options.
First, keep the V Strom and go out and buy cruiser, finding room for another bike in the garage.
Second, sell the V Strom ,ugh, then go and get a FJR. Hmmm.
Buying is more fun than selling.

Remember, you're retired now. That means there is a third option.

- Keep the V Strom, buy the FJR, run out of money and die a year earlier than planned (but happier).

I would love to get a test ride but short of putting a deposit down, I am not sure how to do that.

There’s usually dealer demo days where you can sign up for a test ride.

There’s places like Eagle Rider where you rent for a day or more.

Then there’s the FSBOs where you make it a condition of sale.

- Keep the V Strom, buy the FJR, run out of money and die a year earlier than planned (but happier).
That’s kind of dark, but I like it.

The nice thing about the FJR, is it's mostly unchanged from the 2010s aside from adding modern tech, and the engine is well-vetted with tons of them racking up 50K+ miles without breaking a sweat. I believe 2016 was when they got the 6-speed gearbox rather than the 5-speed, as well as a slipper clutch. Electronic adjustable suspension (ES) was added in 2014. Full LED lighting in 2016 as well.

But at 650 pounds, I’m not sure the FJR will be good for the tiny twisty roads that I like to ride up in the mountains.
Many years ago I was behind a "Ninja bike" at Fontana that was chasing a Motorcycle magazine rider doing a review of the new FJR 1300. The FJR was stock and had hard bags on it. The sportbike guy lowsided trying to keep up with the FJR as he Magazine guy was scraping the hell out of the ridiculously long peg feelers in the twisty section after the infield straight.

Those modern sport tourers with a good modern tire can move, if you can ride it.

Reactions: Ted
Back