Placarding methods

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
Happy Sunday,

I'm one of the fussy types who worries a lot about how things look. One particular issue that I'm currently faced with is placarding. I've replaced a couple of plastic trim pieces, the originals were embossed with the placarding so it was easy to freshen them up with a paint marker. On the new plastics there is no embossing. On most aircraft with aftermarket trim I just see the typical sticker labels, but not only do they not adhere well to the textured plastic but I feel like they look like a cheap afterthought. Same for breakers and switches.

That said, has anyone come up with a more durable and professional looking method for placarding things such as the cowl flap lever, oxygen ports, etc? I'd been toying with trying a vinyl cutting machine and some super adhesive high quality vinyl, but it's a pretty expensive way to go about it and I'm not sure how small lettering would turn out so I'd like to know if anyone else has used that method, or if there's perhaps something better.

Thanks

(Barring the use of professional labeling…)
If you get a Brother P-touch labelmaker* and use the “black lettering on clear tape” it looks pretty good.
As long as all the placarding in that area is similar, (and was applied straight!)
[this assumes the black letters will show up well on the surface adhered- to ie not a black surface)

*get one with multiple size fonts (sm/med/lg)

Last edited:
If you get a Brother P-touch labelmaker and use the “black lettering on clear tape” it looks pretty good.
As long as all the placarding in that area is similar, (and was applied straight!)
[this assumes the black letters will show up well on the surface adhered- to ie not a black surface)
I have had good luck with a Brother labelmaker.
I also bought a whole set stick on placards that looked the same as the originals and are holding up now after 5 years for inside placards. I know you said you didn't want original stick on.

I have a mix of placards in my 64 Mooney. I used a label maker for some things, but I wanted a better option to relable the electrical switches. I called Swam Electric in Hanover PA. Among other things they make custom electrical panels. I was able to get a custom placard that I designed in MS word, printed it and checked the size, and they made it for me in their shop. I use them as a vendor and they made the placards including round knob placards for less than $100.

Attachments

• IMG_20200706_121424379.jpg
    IMG_20200706_121424379.jpg
    748.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20220719_144409789.jpg
    IMG_20220719_144409789.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
I use the industrial clear 1" TZ tape. This tape is UV-resistant, and has extra strength adhesive. I've used this to replace required fuel placards on my AA-5, and it still looks great after 5-6 years, and is NOT coming off despite being treated to wind and in-flight precipitation. I also use it in the garden on plant labels, where it gets much more abuse. It lasts there for at least 3-4 years.

I take a 2 ply plastic (black on clear), reverse engrave (mirrored) the text on the black side, apply white vinyl (for white text) and adhesive tape. The results are great. Text appears to be "inside" of the placard, face is smooth. Of course this requires access to a laser or CNC engraver.

If you get a Brother P-touch labelmaker* and use the “black lettering on clear tape” it looks pretty good.

Ever try clear sticker paper in your printer? Seems like it would give you a wider array of fonts, colors, graphics, etc., than a labelmaker.

Concur, although I favor Dymo. For black surfaces, white lettering on black tape looks great. Also, it's not clear from the adverts but the Rhino industrial tapes do work in the cheaper office label machines.

Another option for shorter placards are engraved plastic nametags. Most sign shops and trophy shops can do them.

Back