PILOT WANTED IN TPA

rashman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rayman
My name is ray and im looking for a enthusastic pilot to fly me n my sister to new orleans iam willing to spend anywhere from 500-1000 roundtrip just looking for a cool experience and im willing to travel 30 miles from clearwater please send me an email at rashrayford@yahoo.com

Last edited:
you need to contact local Part 135 charter operations

Hmm.... Is it still a 135 operation when the public holds out to YOU?

And yes, I'm being sarcastic.

To the OP: If you buy an airplane, I'll be happy to fly you and your sister in it to New Orleans and back for 1,000.00.

But unfortunately, if you want to really hire an airplane and pilot to fly you, you have to go through folks regulated by the Government to provide for-hire air transportation. These are called charter companies or airlines. You may be able to find them under "Air Charter" in your phone book, or by going to your local small airport and asking the folks who sell the gas there if they know any charter companies.

We do have a few pilots who fly for charter companies and they may respond with the name of their company. But I don't think we have any owners or managers on the board. Here's a web site for one of them. http://www.stratosjets.com/

Good luck with your search.

Are there any charter operations that run 4 seater spam cans? (or composite cans?)

Actually any CFI in your area can give you a lesson each way and be legal. and any one can ride along as pax with no extra cost.

Actually any CFI in your area can give you a lesson each way and be legal. and any one can ride along as pax with no extra cost.

I believe that would be STTTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTChing the law just a little...

FAA: Sew a flight from Tampa to New Orleans for an introductory flight?
CFI: Yeah sure why not?
FAA: Left them there overnight drinking hand grenades, eating Bengies and muffalettas before the 2nd lesson?

MIGHT buy it if you don't leave them in New Orleans for longer than a lunch break.

OP If you just want to fly around in a light plane, I believe any commercial pilot can take you for a joy ride as long as the flight begins and ends at the same airport and maybe doesn't go more than 50 miles, not a commercial pilot yet, so I don't have to know this stuff :D

If you want to go to new oreleans, expedia.com

Last edited:
AFaIK, more than a few CFIs and flight schools have run afoul of the FAA by trying to make charter flights look like "training". It's pretty much a given that if the "student" doesn't return with the "instructor" on a flight to a distant airport the FAA will assume it was an illegal charter unless the perpetrators can prove otherwise. And having an extra passenger along who also gets let out away from the departure airport isn't going to help their case.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but you're probably not going to find a charter operation that will do that flight for that price. You're better off getting an airline ticket.

Too bad you are not on the west coast or you could try this.

http://jetsuite.com/suitedeal

Since they need to reposition the airplanes anyway they charge $499 for what would have otherwise been an empty leg. The caveat is that you need to go where and when they need to go. If you just wanted the experience and could find your own way back home it would be a good deal.

AFaIK, more than a few CFIs and flight schools have run afoul of the FAA by trying to make charter flights look like "training". It's pretty much a given that if the "student" doesn't return with the "instructor" on a flight to a distant airport the FAA will assume it was an illegal charter unless the perpetrators can prove otherwise. And having an extra passenger along who also gets let out away from the departure airport isn't going to help their case.

From the first post
"" 500-1000 roundtrip just looking for a cool experience""

All of you non industrious people. No capitalistic sense.

...and then there is the option of invoicing it as 'sales demo' and everything is a-ok. Right?

From the first post
"" 500-1000 roundtrip just looking for a cool experience""
I interpreted that to mean that the OP needed transportation both ways but wanted to get to N.O. for some purpose. If it's just a joyride with no stopover in N.O. then it would be a little easier to fool the FAA especially if the trip was made in an airplane commonly used as a trainer (i.e. not a C421).

OP -- you are asking someone to violate Federal Aviation Regulations pertaining to transport for hire. That's a no-go. Full stop, end of story.

No problem, you probably had no idea.

Unless you're an FAA employee trolling for violations. :idea:

Are there any charter operations that run 4 seater spam cans? (or composite cans?)
Yes, several. Local FBO has their 172 on a 135 certificate, and there's a 135 operator running SR22's in the Baltimore area. And that's just here.

No, s/he cannot. It must be a bona fide lesson appropriate to the trainee's level of training. A Tampa-New Orleans XC is not a bona fide intro flight or first lesson.

I'm pretty sure that would constitute entrapment.

And that would be different from how most drug, terrorism and vice convictions are produced how ?
Entrapment is legal, if it wasn't the FBI had nothing to show for their budget.

Yes, several. Local FBO has their 172 on a 135 certificate, and there's a 135 operator running SR22's in the Baltimore area. And that's just here.

Let me re-phrase that, Since I look at part 135 Cessna 172s and 210s everytime I go to my hangar...

Are there any that primarily carry people? The ones at my airport are strictly fire spotting planes.

Let me re-phrase that, Since I look at part 135 Cessna 172s and 210s everytime I go to my hangar...

Are there any that primarily carry people? The ones at my airport are strictly fire spotting planes.

Why would a fire_spotting plane be on a part 135 cert ? It is 'aerial survey' and therefore exempt from part 119/135.
They may need a USFS cert though.

Why would a fire_spotting plane be on a part 135 cert ? It is 'aerial survey' and therefore exempt from part 119/135.
They may need a USFS cert though.

I don't know, they have this big huge $10,000 radios in the floor that all the operators have and complain about. I know it's 135, they run a couple of 172's, a 210 and a Skymaster.

I don't know, they have this big huge $10,000 radios in the floor that all the operators have and complain about. I know it's 135, they run a couple of 172's, a 210 and a Skymaster.

I have not found any mention of size or price of radios in the requirements for part 135.

As you mention installed equipment and fire survey: probably the planes are flown under contract to a state or federal agency under 'public use'. Has its own requirements minimum hours etc. but is different from transportation of people and goods for hire.

And that would be different from how most drug, terrorism and vice convictions are produced how ?
When drug and vice stings are conducted, the undercover agent has to be very careful not to entrap the target, i.e., not to induce the target to do something s/he would not do otherwise.
Entrapment is legal, if it wasn't the FBI had nothing to show for their budget.
"Entrapment" by law enforcement, i.e. originating the idea of the crime, is not legal. The governent agent may create the opportunity to commit the crime, but only if the target is planning or willing to commit it.

A Google search on "legal standards entrapment" will reveal a host of results on point.

In any event, the FAA's Inspector force has more than enough work to keep them busy without advertising for folks to violate the rules. If they want to fill their violation quota for the month (I'm being facetious, R&W, so stand down on that), all they need do is spend Monday hanging around any local airport and watching everything that happens -- they'll have enough to keep them busy for the rest of the week without risking a lot of work wasted on a case blown by an entrapment defense.

Last edited:
I have not found any mention of size or price of radios in the requirements for part 135.

As you mention installed equipment and fire survey: probably the planes are flown under contract to a state or federal agency under 'public use'. Has its own requirements minimum hours etc. but is different from transportation of people and goods for hire.

I thought the big huge specialized radios might give a clue as to what they were up to.I looked at the 135 cert, it says persons/cargo. Wouldn't taking up a fireman of some sort up for observation of a fire be carrying and person for hire and thus need a 135 cert?

Last edited:
Wouldn't taking up a fireman of some sort up for observation of a fire be carrying and person for hire and thus need a 135 cert?

If you drop your photographer/observer /command personnel at some strip in the woods its 135. If you allways return to base its 91.

If you drop your photographer/observer /command personnel at some strip in the woods its 135. If you allways return to base its 91.

I hear they have to jump through tons of DNRC/Forestry Service hoops to stay employed and that something as simple as an INOP air conditioner in the 337 is enough to get fired over, I wouldn't be surprised if whoever they are contracting through requires Pt. 135 due to needing to drop people and cargo off at various places. Just a WAG on my part, my CFII is the A&P/IA for the operation, I'll ask him why they're 135.

There are but I doubt your going to find one that can do a flight from clearwater FL to NOLA for that price.
Indeed. I see Imagine Air SR-22 flights all around the southeast, and just went to their site for the heck of it. A TPA-NEW-TPA round trip is $6,930!

:yikes:

And who said FAA people have no sense of humor? :rolleyes:

Back