Pilot not qualified?

That is my guess but he needs more training on his PA announcements.

I suspect he was a high minimums CA and the weather went down.
I have confirmed that JAC is a supervised-entry airport for Skywest, as it is at my airline.

I don't know how an unqualified Captain was assigned to the trip.

I had a JAC layover coming up this weekend but was displaced from it so a reserve Captain could be qualified.

They could also have been high mins, and the weather was worse than forecast.

This would be my guess too. Some of you all are going down a really deep rabbit hole just because it is a "special airport". This could happen anywhere with a high mins CA.

Also misleading calling it "Alaska Airlines", but I digress.

This would be my guess too. Some of you all are going down a really deep rabbit hole just because it is a "special airport". This could happen anywhere with a high mins CA.
Since the weather was clear and a million, I don't think it's analogous to something that "could happen anywhere with a high mins CA."

Um I am an APD at a part 121 airline and NOPE. It doesn't! Unless Skywest developed what we would call a red line
It depends on the airport. KASE, gotta fly it to qual. The wide open valley stuff I think they just have to look at the pictures but that may just be a currency thing. KASE they gotta fly it to qual and be current. Anyway Skywest crew support tracks KASE qual'd pilots daily. Other mountain airports they aren't so vocal about. KSUN is a bit sensitive for equipment along with KGUC. KMTJ just a hop away from GUC is a yawner...as long as CFR is on duty. Anyway, the dispatcher doesn't track crew quals, that's on the pilot and crew support.

Since the weather was clear and a million, I don't think it's analogous to something that "could happen anywhere with a high mins CA."

Well if that was the case, this would seem to be a pretty dumb mix up. Almost too dumb to believe, and by that, I mean I question the veracity of the story. They mean to tell us that these guys took off to a destination that they would have been illegal for, and just happened to pop open the 10-7 en route and figure it out? I dunno, I suppose it is possible, but seems highly unlikely. Maybe OO is more bananas than I think though.

Well if that was the case, this would seem to be a pretty dumb mix up. Almost too dumb to believe, and by that, I mean I question the veracity of the story. They mean to tell us that these guys took off to a destination that they would have been illegal for, and just happened to pop open the 10-7 en route and figure it out? I dunno, I suppose it is possible, but seems highly unlikely. Maybe OO is more bananas than I think though.
Dumb mix-up yes, unbelievable no. It's not like we always know in advance where we're going. "Hello Captain, this is crew scheduling, we need you to operate flight XXX. By the way, it was supposed to leave an hour ago so we'd appreciate it if you hurry on to gate 25."

I haven't seen a more current list on the FAA site. This is from 2015.

It looks like the update list gets cancelled after a year and reissued.

Current updates at https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...fm/go/document.information/documentID/1041942

The list is maintained by AFS-200 and is a series 8900 notice. Here's the URL that eventually got me down to a short list.

Inside the document is says to find the full list at:
Click on “Flight Standards Administrative Information,”
Click on “Operations Safety System Documents (OPSS),” and
Select the document titled “Special Pilot-In-Command Qualification AirportsRevision History (14 CFR 121.445).”

Doesn't seem to work.

As hard as this is to find, I'm surprised that a pilot found out in flight there were special quals...that is, I'm surprised he could find out at all.

Last edited:
Dumb mix-up yes, unbelievable no. It's not like we always know in advance where we're going. "Hello Captain, this is crew scheduling, we need you to operate flight XXX. By the way, it was supposed to leave an hour ago so we'd appreciate it if you hurry on to gate 25."

I'll defer to your experience with that, but I've never had such an experience at my shop. Short callout when I was reserve, of course, but I'd still have 2 hours to contemplate the trip contractually (or I guess 2:30 on the new contract from a couple years ago). I imagine that if there were a restriction in JAC for El Capitan, that fact wasn't unknown. But like you say, I guess it is possible of course. Just didn't realize the regionals were such a nightmare. Talk about setting a guy up for failure!

Last edited:
As hard as this is to find, I'm surprised that a pilot found out in flight there were special quals...that is, I'm surprised he could find out at all.
That sort of supports those who think it might have been a weather-related qualification.

And yes, I tried to follow the same set of links as you, with the same degree of success :D

CA and FO have mountain airport guides on their ipads. Those are maintained so mostly current and accurate. In other words it's not too difficult for the crew to dig up the info.

I'll avoid too much comment on OO other than saying lots of new people (continually) at all levels and maybe not as much QC as one might hope. Many folks trying to make flights happen and all are mostly human. Mistakes happen. I once inherited an ORD SUN flight in the air on equipment that couldn't go to SUN that day. That was really fun. SLC station ops got real confused when I had to say no, it's not a gas-n-go and we have to 'borrow' another aircraft so plan to get the pax-n-bags off.

Well, call me stubborn. Or maybe just too dumb to quit

Reading carefully, I saw this:

The Special PIC Qualification Airports List can be accessed in DRS:

• Click on “Flight Standards Administrative Information,”
• Click on “Operations Safety System Documents (OPSS),” and
• Select the document titled “Special Pilot-In-Command Qualification AirportsRevision History (14 CFR 121.445).”

Google "FAA DRS" actually leads to the Dynamic Regulatory System. I'm not sure how I feel about dynamic regulations yet.

From there, the steps work and eventually lead to the list of Special PIC Qualification Airports. https://drs.faa.gov/browse/excelExt...83887239820230707194018.0001?modalOpened=true

Early in my career, I was dispatched, but the destination went cat III, 30 mins after airborne. Had to turn back cause I was a high min captain.

I'd rather read about a Captain that said, "No" and killed no one than a Captain that said, "we'll try" and killed people. This seems like a no-harm no-foul. No one was hurt.
And the airline didn’t even have to self-disclose a violation and increase their training/checking paperwork to show they care.

Back