PHX to MMSL - Does this plan look right?

dans2992

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Dans2992
All,

OK, so I am planning my first trip to Mexico (or any international destination) over the July 4th weekend (Piper Comanche 260). Anyhow, just to make sure I have a solid plan, I want to outline it below and see if anyone sees anything missing or has suggestions.

My overall plan is to fly directly from Falcon Field (in the Phoenix area) to Cabo San Lucas (MMSL). Planned route is: KFFZ IFNUR HMO GYM LAP MMSL at 9500. Yes, there is some overwater, but I'll have lifevests, a built-in 406 ELT, and two-way satellite communicator (delorme inreach).

1. I have all of the documentation together as described in the AOPA checklist. I've sent copies of the relevant items to the FBO and they are going to help "expedite" the formalities upon arrival. Supposedly, there is no tipping allowed at this airport, and everything can be paid for with credit cards. (I'll bring some cash just in case). I've also heard security is very good at MMSL - still debating the need for a proplock. They seem expensive, but I am thinking a nice bike-lock could do basically the same thing without the "aviation markup".

2. So, I figure I'll file the eAPIS manifest (both departure, and return) about 7 days in advance. Supposedly it can be filed well in advance. I already have the eAPIS login, etc. I assume I'll get both approval e-mails in short order, and I'll be covered for eAPIS.

3. The day before departure, I'll file two DVFR flight plans with PRC FSS. One outbound, and one inbound based on an estimated time (how much leeway do I have to change the border crossing time via radio if I'm late? a couple hours, or just so that it's the same day?) Also, how to I specify border crossing location? Lat/Long, VOR Radial/DME, etc.?

If IFR means following the airways in Mexico, it appears to not be worth it - I am assuming VFR is much easier.

4. After takeoff, once I am clear of the Phoenix area, I'll call FSS, activate my DVFR flight plan, update border crossing ETA, and get my transponder code for border crossing. Should I do this right away or get closer to the border before calling? Besides the usual traffic advisories, any advantages to getting flight following during the actual border crossing? Do I just change back to 1200 once I am well past the border?

5. Once I cross the border, my understanding is that the DVFR flight plan simply "disappears" and does not have to be closed. My understanding is that Mexico ATC/Customs does not require advance notice for an international arrival, you just land at an AOE during the designated hours. Should I put "ADCUS" on my outbound DVFR flight plan to have Mexican customs notified or is this even done?

6. Once I am in Mexico, who do I need to talk to ATC-wise? On the WAC chart, I see a LARGE circle around Hermosillo from 4500 ft to FL195, and two frequencies listed - one for north and one for south. I'll certainly call them for flight following/permission to enter the airspace (it's listed as a "TCA", so I guess that means "mandatory" two way contact) I've heard it's a bit like the "wild west" and I might not get an answer right away. My understanding is that if I am unable to reach them by the time I reach the airspace boundary, I should proceed and just keep trying...

7. Will they hand me off to the next facility, or will I be out of contact and need to call the next facility when I am "in range"? Will I be able to talk to Mazatlan center over the water?

8. Once I get to MMSL, the FBO seems to have everything arranged paperwork-wise. I'll have multiple copies of everything ready to go as well.

9. The day before the return flight, I will call CBP at Nogales and confirm my arrival time. (My understanding is that I can be late, but not early), so I will give them the earliest time possible. How late can I reasonably be here before I have to worry? An hour or so?

10. On the return, since I will have already filed my eAPIS, and will have the DVFR flight plan pre-filed, I just need to take care of whatever departure paperwork is required at the airport, launch, and get ahold of US FSS as far out as possible (1/2 hour minimum, 122.4) to update my border crossing/arrival time into Nogales and get the border crossing code. I guess I ask them to "advise customs" of my updated arrival time...

11. Land at Nogales, get the full body cavity search (I have the sticker and receipt, but I am hoping they don't make me actually apply it to my paintjob), and proceed back to Phoenix...

Missing anything?

Thanks,

--Dan

I haven't affixed a sticker for 2-3 years, so don't know if the rules have changed.

On the planes used for international trips, we attached the stickers to the door frame so they were visible with the door open (which is how the airplane would be inspected by Customs) but wouldn't mess up the exterior paint or appearance.

All,

OK, so I am planning my first trip to Mexico (or any international destination) over the July 4th weekend (Piper Comanche 260). Anyhow, just to make sure I have a solid plan, I want to outline it below and see if anyone sees anything missing or has suggestions.

My overall plan is to fly directly from Falcon Field (in the Phoenix area) to Cabo San Lucas (MMSL). Planned route is: KFFZ IFNUR HMO GYM LAP MMSL at 9500. Yes, there is some overwater, but I'll have lifevests, a built-in 406 ELT, and two-way satellite communicator (delorme inreach).

1. I have all of the documentation together as described in the AOPA checklist. I've sent copies of the relevant items to the FBO and they are going to help "expedite" the formalities upon arrival. Supposedly, there is no tipping allowed at this airport, and everything can be paid for with credit cards. (I'll bring some cash just in case). I've also heard security is very good at MMSL - still debating the need for a proplock. They seem expensive, but I am thinking a nice bike-lock could do basically the same thing without the "aviation markup".

2. So, I figure I'll file the eAPIS manifest (both departure, and return) about 7 days in advance. Supposedly it can be filed well in advance. I already have the eAPIS login, etc. I assume I'll get both approval e-mails in short order, and I'll be covered for eAPIS.

3. The day before departure, I'll file two DVFR flight plans with PRC FSS. One outbound, and one inbound based on an estimated time (how much leeway do I have to change the border crossing time via radio if I'm late? a couple hours, or just so that it's the same day?) Also, how to I specify border crossing location? Lat/Long, VOR Radial/DME, etc.?

If IFR means following the airways in Mexico, it appears to not be worth it - I am assuming VFR is much easier.

4. After takeoff, once I am clear of the Phoenix area, I'll call FSS, activate my DVFR flight plan, update border crossing ETA, and get my transponder code for border crossing. Should I do this right away or get closer to the border before calling? Besides the usual traffic advisories, any advantages to getting flight following during the actual border crossing? Do I just change back to 1200 once I am well past the border?

5. Once I cross the border, my understanding is that the DVFR flight plan simply "disappears" and does not have to be closed. My understanding is that Mexico ATC/Customs does not require advance notice for an international arrival, you just land at an AOE during the designated hours. Should I put "ADCUS" on my outbound DVFR flight plan to have Mexican customs notified or is this even done?

6. Once I am in Mexico, who do I need to talk to ATC-wise? On the WAC chart, I see a LARGE circle around Hermosillo from 4500 ft to FL195, and two frequencies listed - one for north and one for south. I'll certainly call them for flight following/permission to enter the airspace (it's listed as a "TCA", so I guess that means "mandatory" two way contact) I've heard it's a bit like the "wild west" and I might not get an answer right away. My understanding is that if I am unable to reach them by the time I reach the airspace boundary, I should proceed and just keep trying...

7. Will they hand me off to the next facility, or will I be out of contact and need to call the next facility when I am "in range"? Will I be able to talk to Mazatlan center over the water?

8. Once I get to MMSL, the FBO seems to have everything arranged paperwork-wise. I'll have multiple copies of everything ready to go as well.

9. The day before the return flight, I will call CBP at Nogales and confirm my arrival time. (My understanding is that I can be late, but not early), so I will give them the earliest time possible. How late can I reasonably be here before I have to worry? An hour or so?

10. On the return, since I will have already filed my eAPIS, and will have the DVFR flight plan pre-filed, I just need to take care of whatever departure paperwork is required at the airport, launch, and get ahold of US FSS as far out as possible (1/2 hour minimum, 122.4) to update my border crossing/arrival time into Nogales and get the border crossing code. I guess I ask them to "advise customs" of my updated arrival time...

11. Land at Nogales, get the full body cavity search (I have the sticker and receipt, but I am hoping they don't make me actually apply it to my paintjob), and proceed back to Phoenix...

Missing anything?

Thanks,

--Dan

I'm on my smart phone so I can't post a long response but have fun in Cabo. MMSL is a great airport, people there are awesome. Really close to downtown.

Don't be early and don't be more than 15 minutes late.

You can always slow down if you're going to arrive too early, but it's hard to speed up to avoid arriving too late.

So if I am running late, can FSS advise customs? Does the flight plan even have anything to do with CBP?

You can ask FSS to advise customs. But, I wouldn't rely on it.

I'm sure CBP has access to the flight plan. But, that doesn't mean the guy on the ground is going to be updated.

I don't see Class B, C and D airspace shown on the WAC charts for Mexico.

Any suggestions? When do I need to talk to ATC? Is there "flight following" as we know it?

Thanks,
Dan

I've flown to Cabo several times (in fact, I'm in Cabo now) but always IFR. A few comments:

1. The FBO at MMSL will file the ICAO flight plan for your return with Mexican ATC, so you don't need to pre-file it. Flight plans are required for ALL flights in Mexico and require your signature.

2. You don't need a prop lock - the FBO provides them free of charge. Security at MMSL is extremely good.

3. Don't have experience with VFR communications in Mexico, but you can expect radar coverage to be very spotty at 9500'. I make my flights at FL180 or higher, and it's still sketchy up there in some locations.

4. When communicating with ATC in Mexico, use your full call sign, as in "November 12345." Don't use the aircraft type.

5. Mexican ATC will often ask you to report 50NM outbound from whatever station you're communicating with. That's the point at which they hand you off to the next station.

6. U.S. Customs doesn't care if your sticker is attached. Just be sure you have both the sticker and your receipt to show them.

7. I always forget to put ADCUS on my flight plans but it never seems to matter, probably because they know you're coming from eAPIS. The most important thing is to make sure your eAPIS manifests are filed, and then call CBP with your ETA, which I do right before departing MMSL. You definitely don't need to put ADCUS on your flight plan to MMSL as they have a full-time customs officer at the airport.

Enjoy! Flying in Mexico is a lot of fun and the scenery along your route of flight is spectacular. The crew at MMSL treats me like a king and I'm sure they'll do the same for you!

Last edited:
BTW, is IFR limited to the airways in Mexico for non-oxygen altitudes, or are RNAV routes sometimes approved?

Would I likely be able to get OLS HMO LTO LAP if I filed it?

BTW, is IFR limited to the airways in Mexico for non-oxygen altitudes, or are RNAV routes sometimes approved?

Would I likely be able to get OLS HMO LTO LAP if I filed it?

I don't know about RNAV routes or low altitude flying in Mexico. File it and see what happens. You'll get what they give you. Even at high altitudes they give you very specific jetway clearances. Their radar is limited so they prefer published airways at any altitude. However, I've found that once aloft you might get a shortcut here and there if you ask for it.

Back