Phentermine & Topiramate for weight loss - Class 3

G

guest1

Docs,
I havent been current and flying for a couple years. I am thinking about getting my class 3 renewed and getting a BFR for currency and flying some again. About 6 months ago my PCP wrote me script for Phentermine (15mg) and Topiramate (50mg) for weight loss. I knew the Phentermine was an amphetamine and I could not fly with it. I assumed I could stop taking it and that would be it for getting a class 3 again. I wasnt really sure if or when I would get back flying anyway when I did this. After reading a couple threads mentioning Phentermine, I'm a little more concerned about what I should do to get my class 3 back.

How long should I wait after stopping the Phentermine before going to get a medical? Any specific things I should take with me, records or letters from my PCP ( an NP-C)?
If I say screw it getting a Class 3 is too much hassle now, I can just go Basic Med from here right? I have held a class 3 on and off since '94. My last one expired 2022.

Thanks,

If I say screw it getting a Class 3 is too much hassle now, I can just go Basic Med from here right? …
Unless you have one been diagnosed with one of the 5 SI-requiring conditions since your last medical expired, then yes, you can go straight to BasicMed.

Back