Pet Peeves

Yeah, along those lines are people that ask "How are you doing?" and they only expect a "Good, thank you" response. If someone asks me how my day is going and it's crappy, I'm going to tell them I'm doing crappy. If you aren't prepared for or don't want a negative response then don't ask.

Or the people who say "Hi, how are ya" as you pass them in the hall, and all they expect is a "Hi" in return, and when you say "Fine thanks, how are you?" they give you a weird look. And run on sentences.

I think this almost deserves a thread of it's own, but I'm going to post it in here anyway.

I had this big assed tri tip Ceasar salad for lunch today. I got it at one of these places where you get in line to order and they put stuff on while you watch. Picture three salad girls and a stocky dude that cuts up the meat for the sandwiches and salads. Salad girls make up the salads. Meat dude cuts up portions of meat, puts them on small plates and hands them to salad girls so they can dump them on salads.

So meat dude cuts my tri tip. A little dry and more fully cooked that I'd like but whatever. But he grabs another juicy tri tip, cuts off a couple pieces and puts them on my plate. Hell yeah dude, right on! That's what I'm talking about!

Salad girl dumps the tri tip on my salad and starts carrying it to the register. But wait. She turns around, goes back, and starts picking off the nice, red, juicy tri tip off MY salad and puts it on another!! WTF??!!

"Oh, that was actually a double order for the salad after yours."

No baby, it wasn't a double order. It was more than dude normally cuts but not double. Not only did you leave me with half the tri tip I normally get but you left me with all the dried out crap from the previous end piece. But, whatever.

Personally, I think that was tacky. I mean, if you screw up and accidentally put too much meat on the the plate which was intended for another plate, suck it up and just cut more for the next guy!

How does that help tell them what floor the doors are opening on? Or are they expected to stand next to the door and reach out to feel the braille on the door jamb every time the door opens?

Next time you ride an elevator listen and notice it dings as you pass each floor. Blind people count the dings and get off on the right floor. I'm not blind but I think I'd be offended at talking elevators if I were.

Plus, when you're waiting for an elevator, when the doors open, if it dings once then it's going up. If it dings twice then it's going down. You don't have to look at the arrows.

Next time you ride an elevator listen and notice it dings as you pass each floor. Blind people count the dings and get off on the right floor. I'm not blind but I think I'd be offended at talking elevators if I were.

LOL, my office is on the 22nd floor. The elevator does not ding for every floor. The first 16 would be really quick if it did.

Anyway, elevators which announce the floor are very practical in tall buildings. Dings would be impractical in the extreme.

Yeah, along those lines are people that ask "How are you doing?" and they only expect a "Good, thank you" response. If someone asks me how my day is going and it's crappy, I'm going to tell them I'm doing crappy. If you aren't prepared for or don't want a negative response then don't ask.

Lol, many years ago, I came off the 'connection from hell' with Northwest airlines: Frankfurt-->Detroit-->Minneapolis-->San Francisco, must have been 20hrs. So I get to my hosts in Berkeley and the lady asks me in the most chipper way 'How are you doing ?' and i mistook it for a question. I didn't know yet that 'oh, I am fine' is the only acceptable answer :rofl:.

I thought of that. But what percent of the population is blind? Besides, they have brail on the numbers. Sorry, talking elevators are a peeve. The blind do just fine on the 99% of elevators that don't talk. This goes right into the needless category.

DON'T MAKE ME START A "JERK" THREAD!!!

Lol, many years ago, I came off the 'connection from hell' with Northwest airlines: Frankfurt-->Detroit-->Minneapolis-->San Francisco, must have been 20hrs. So I get to my hosts in Berkeley and the lady asks me in the most chipper way 'How are you doing ?' and i mistook it for a question. I didn't know yet that 'oh, I am fine' is the only acceptable answer :rofl:.

Thank you! The word just came to me. "Rhetorical question"

Oh, and my pet peeve it walking out of a restaurant and having many of the counter staff call after you "Have a nice day." You know it's just their training manual, they'd just as soon not do it, and you're left wondering whether to reopen the door to reciprocate!

I just hold up a hand and wave as I keep walking.

I think this almost deserves a thread of it's own, but I'm going to post it in here anyway.

I had this big assed tri tip Ceasar salad for lunch today. I got it at one of these places where you get in line to order and they put stuff on while you watch. Picture three salad girls and a stocky dude that cuts up the meat for the sandwiches and salads. Salad girls make up the salads. Meat dude cuts up portions of meat, puts them on small plates and hands them to salad girls so they can dump them on salads.

So meat dude cuts my tri tip. A little dry and more fully cooked that I'd like but whatever. But he grabs another juicy tri tip, cuts off a couple pieces and puts them on my plate. Hell yeah dude, right on! That's what I'm talking about!

Salad girl dumps the tri tip on my salad and starts carrying it to the register. But wait. She turns around, goes back, and starts picking off the nice, red, juicy tri tip off MY salad and puts it on another!! WTF??!!

"Oh, that was actually a double order for the salad after yours."

No baby, it wasn't a double order. It was more than dude normally cuts but not double. Not only did you leave me with half the tri tip I normally get but you left me with all the dried out crap from the previous end piece. But, whatever.

Personally, I think that was tacky. I mean, if you screw up and accidentally put too much meat on the the plate which was intended for another plate, suck it up and just cut more for the next guy!

Dude, I'd just walk out and not pay and take the managers card on the way out, WTF was that about? It's probably a $12.99 freakin salad. I may have given her the option to switch the portions to the good meat first, because this dried out crap doesn't cut it. As long as I get 8oz of quality lean muscle meat rare to medium rare, I'm ok with that portion, just give me the quality portion thanks. That she screwed the portion the chef/cook/grill boy whatever... There's a whole norther WTF? Dude, what is it that makes this woman dislike you so?:rofl::rofl: Do you like eat there all the time and not tip?:dunno: Is she just stupid? What did she think that would do to the tip? Is she Australian? That's the kind of service you get in Aus because they don't tip.

I thought of that. But what percent of the population is blind? Besides, they have brail on the numbers. Sorry, talking elevators are a peeve. The blind do just fine on the 99% of elevators that don't talk. This goes right into the needless category.

How about talking escalators? They have a few in the NYC Subway system that offer helpful advice like:

"Hold the handrails"

"Do not sit on the handrails"

and the ever popular "Have a nice day!"

Really? From an escalator?

I am really tempted to write to the MTA and complain that all this helpful advice is in English. Surely the considerable non-english speaking population - at least some of them - are not escalator-proficient! They should not be left in jeopardy of some cataclysmic accident because the safety warning is in English only. How thoughtless of the MTA!

This could be fun! :no:

-Skip

How about talking escalators? They have a few in the NYC Subway system that offer helpful advice like:

"Hold the handrails"

"Do not sit on the handrails"

and the ever popular "Have a nice day!"

Really? From an escalator?

I am really tempted to write to the MTA and complain that all this helpful advice is in English. Surely the considerable non-english speaking population - at least some of them - are not escalator-proficient! They should not be left in jeopardy of some cataclysmic accident because the safety warning is in English only. How thoughtless of the MTA!

This could be fun! :no:

-Skip
At least they don't have GPP*!
:rofl:

* Genuine People Personality, copyrighted by the Sirius Cybernetics Corp.

DON'T MAKE ME START A "JERK" THREAD!!!

Lol,

It's peculiar how everyone in here is anti-talking equipment / machines...yet somehow I get held out as anti-blind or handicapped or whatever when I'm the one who brought it up!

It's not paranoia if everyone really is out to get you.

Lol,

It's peculiar how everyone in here is anti-talking equipment / machines

It isn't peculiar when someone overstates to defend their position.

It isn't peculiar when someone overstates to defend their position.

Help me out. On which point did I overstate?

"99% of elevators don't talk", or

"elevators ding".

Let me know and I'll gladly dial it back.

Prohibition was brought about by those housewives as well as the in depth infiltration of crime and big government.

Prohibition was brought about by those housewives as well as the in depth infiltration of crime and big government.

Wow, you took my incredibly insensitive comment, and made it even more insensitive.

Impressive! :)

Help me out. On which point did I overstate?

"99% of elevators don't talk", or

"elevators ding".

Let me know and I'll gladly dial it back.

None of the above. Would you like to try again or do require assistance in identifying your overstatement?

Let's break down 'help me out. On which point did I overstate?'

It's a call for assistance. It's a question. It's a specific question. If the correct bullet point wasn't presented then I think it's implied that you're welcome to present your own.

Dude, I'd just walk out and not pay and take the managers card on the way out, WTF was that about? It's probably a $12.99 freakin salad. I may have given her the option to switch the portions to the good meat first, because this dried out crap doesn't cut it. As long as I get 8oz of quality lean muscle meat rare to medium rare, I'm ok with that portion, just give me the quality portion thanks. That she screwed the portion the chef/cook/grill boy whatever... There's a whole norther WTF? Dude, what is it that makes this woman dislike you so?:rofl::rofl: Do you like eat there all the time and not tip?:dunno: Is she just stupid? What did she think that would do to the tip? Is she Australian? That's the kind of service you get in Aus because they don't tip.

The funny thing is, this chick KNOWS who I am, as I'm in there like every other day, and I never got the vibes that she disliked me. I mean I don't know her by name, but she knows me as the "salad guy with no croutons."

And this is a non tipping place. I suppose you could tip the cashier girl but that's as far as the tip would get, there is no tip jar.

Let's break down 'help me out. On which point did I overstate?'

It's a call for assistance. It's a question. It's a specific question. If the correct bullet point wasn't presented then I think it's implied that you're welcome to present your own.

Okay, so you don't want the "do over."

Letseeherenow, you typed: It's peculiar how everyone in here is anti-talking equipment / machines

Since I didn't take the position of being "anti-talking equipment/machines" everyone wasn't taking that position so clearly your claim was overstated. q.e.d.

Okay, so you don't want the "do over."

Letseeherenow, you typed: It's peculiar how everyone in here is anti-talking equipment / machines

Since I didn't take the position of being "anti-talking equipment/machines" everyone wasn't taking that position so clearly your claim was overstated. q.e.d.

Oh that? Okay, insert 'almost' before 'everyone' and move on.

Jeepers Jonkers some people get so literal around here.

The funny thing is, this chick KNOWS who I am, as I'm in there like every other day, and I never got the vibes that she disliked me. I mean I don't know her by name, but she knows me as the "salad guy with no croutons."

And this is a non tipping place. I suppose you could tip the cashier girl but that's as far as the tip would get, there is no tip jar.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: No wonder, tip anyway. :yesnod: Australia is like that, the service is atrocious.

My peeve of the day. Price online and in the store is different. Online rental car cost $50/per day. When I call they say $37. Fine I'll call next time. I also made a new reservation and had them cancel the one I just did yesterday.

My peeve of the day. Price online and in the store is different. Online rental car cost $50/per day. When I call they say $37. Fine I'll call next time. I also made a new reservation and had them cancel the one I just did yesterday.

Rarely is the Internet price the best you can do.

Oh that? Okay, insert 'almost' before 'everyone' and move on.

Jeepers Jonkers some people get so literal around here.

Jeepers Jonkers, some people are unable to be accurate in characterizing groups of people.

I'm sorry you object to me being included in the anti-talking machine crowd.

What I find amusing is tha people have peeves over being extended a simple courtesy, just...wow.

Jeepers Jonkers, some people are unable to be accurate in characterizing groups of people.

I'm sorry you object to me being included in the anti-talking machine crowd.

No, it's fine. I don't mind one bit. It's such a small, insignificant point that I can't believe I got sucked into this conversation. You like machines that talk. Okay.

For future refrence when I say things like "everybody likes sunshine" understand that I am aware that nothing is 100% and there are some people who don't like sunshine.

What I find amusing is tha people have peeves over being extended a simple courtesy, just...wow.

Yea, I open the door for everyone. Don't care if your an old woman, or a 15 year old boy with 7 pieces of metal sticking out of your face.

However (and this happens less today then it did 15 years ago), there is an age group of women, that from time to time say "I can get my own door, thank you very much".

Yea, I open the door for everyone. Don't care if your an old woman, or a 15 year old boy with 7 pieces of metal sticking out of your face.

However (and this happens less today then it did 15 years ago), there is an age group of women, that from time to time say "I can get my own door, thank you very much".

'Ok *****.' and let go is what I do. Then it can get real funny.

'Ok *****.' and let go is what I do. Then it can get real funny.

I have probably had it happen to me in my lifetime a dozen times, and all but one I just walked away.

One woman was particularly nasty to me about it, so I said:

"Is that because you think you're equal to a man? When you stop thinking someone opening the door for you is a reflection of your equality, and you recognize they are just being nice, you will be equal."

She had a lot of words for me that the filter here would block that she said back, and I just walked away.

I have probably had it happen to me in my lifetime a dozen times, and all but one I just walked away.

One woman was particularly nasty to me about it, so I said:

"Is that because you think you're equal to a man? When you stop thinking someone opening the door for you is a reflection if your equality, and you recognize they are just being nice, you will be equal."

She had a lot of words for me that the filter here would block that she said back, and I just walked away.

I've had it a few times, but not many. Normally I just laugh at them, what else?

Oh, and my pet peeve it walking out of a restaurant and having many of the counter staff call after you "Have a nice day." You know it's just their training manual, they'd just as soon not do it, and you're left wondering whether to reopen the door to reciprocate!

I beat them to it and tell them to have one, it throws them off their script and you find out who the ones with real conversation skills are and who the script followers are. ;)

Back