Perscription Impact on Evaluation

• Thread starter ProspectivePilotTrainee
  • Start date
P

ProspectivePilotTrainee

I'm a US college student looking into recreational flight as a hobby. I have been on a stable dose of fluoxetine since Summer 2020, but in late October of this year I expressed concerns regarding seasonal depression to my new PCP and was prescribed buspirone. Since then, I rarely took the medication as prescribed (many days of only one dose) and haven't refilled the prescription. However, since then my state has improved, which I attribute to better exercise routines and eating habits, so I've stopped taking buspirone and informed my doctor's office.

I've thought about getting into piloting in the past, which is why I switched my SSRI to Fluoxetine (diagnosis of MDD). However, COVID-19 dissuaded me from entering the industry professionally, and I'm only just now looking into entering recreationally. I know based of my history I will need to see a HIMS and have 6 months of treatment without side effects, but I just read applicants must not have a history of "Multi-agent drug protocol use (prior use of other psychiatric drugs in conjunction with SSRIs.)" Is there a real likelihood I will not be able to receive a (third-class) medical certification as a result of this?

If you didn’t apply for a medical yet, you’re still eligible to get a sport pilot license.

If you’re eligible at all for a class 3 medical, it will be very expensive and take a long, long time. As @Salty says, Sport Pilot is an option for you and it doesn’t require a medical, just a driver’s license.

Since you only want to fly recreationally, go for Sport.

If you’re eligible at all for a class 3 medical, it will be very expensive and take a long, long time. As @Salty says, Sport Pilot is an option for you and it doesn’t require a medical, just a driver’s license.

Since you only want to fly recreationally, go for Sport.

Especially with the upcoming MOSAIC changes coming.

Especially with the upcoming MOSAIC changes coming.
Upcoming, as in they will barely make the deadline two years from now, or delay it somehow. I want my 1600 lb. LSA, or a driver's license medical for all non-commercial.

Unfortunately you are now beyond 1 year of live Rx for this. Generally, this will need a pscyhiatrist's opinion B4 you "pass go". :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back