Pacer or Clipper

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
Looking to buy a 3+ person plane like a PA12 or early Maule, also considering something like a Clipper or Pacer. Anyone have experience with those Pipers and if they would be comfortable for someone 6ft and a 34" inseam in terms of legroom? Flew a PA11 the other day and I found it quite cramped. Another option might also be an Aeronca sedan, the Champ seems to fit OK. Thank you.

Last edited:
I had an early M4, and at 6’ with a slightly shorter inseam, I was comfortable. It’s also a bit wider than a Pacer, IIRC.

i am 6' and 225lbs and also a 34" inseam . had a piper pacer for about 8 years and loved it. fun little plane.

6', 32" inseam, 230#
Had a Pacer for 4 years or so, great airplane. Wouldn't have cared for a Clipper - not enough room for camping gear for 2. I sat in the back once, when we test flew the airplane before buying. Bought it, yanked the backseat, and didn't put it back in till we sold it - your 3rd person had better be small if they're going to be comfortable for more than 30 minutes.

6', 32" inseam, 230#
Had a Pacer for 4 years or so, great airplane. Wouldn't have cared for a Clipper - not enough room for camping gear for 2. I sat in the back once, when we test flew the airplane before buying. Bought it, yanked the backseat, and didn't put it back in till we sold it - your 3rd person had better be small if they're going to be comfortable for more than 30 minutes.
My wife is 5'3 and petite, and #3 is my 6 yo at around 45 pounds. I'm 6' but only around 165 pounds as well. Pacer would be great so that all three of us can go, or me and the wife with two folding bikes.

My wife is 5'3 and petite, and #3 is my 6 yo at around 45 pounds. I'm 6' but only around 165 pounds as well. Pacer would be great so that all three of us can go, or me and the wife with two folding bikes.
Sounds like a Pacer would be about perfect then. Back seat is in and out easy enough, and with it out two bikes(even non folding) fit just fine. Ours had long wings (Sullivan) and 150hp. One of the best values I can think of as far as plane for dollar. At 6' 165# you probably won't even rub shoulders up front.

Always loved the lines and handling of the pacer. Would buy one in a heartbeat.

Back