Oregon Aero MicMuff cover

asicer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
asicer
I seemed to have lost the mic muff for my Zulu3. Hopefully this is a temporary situation.

To prevent this from happening in the future, I'm thinking I could secure it with an O-ring or zip tie. But another possibility that came to mind is the Oregon Aero MicMuff cover for $19. Anyone have any first-hand experience with this? Seems kind of hokey, but it'd be interesting if it really worked as advertised.

11-10937.jpg

I have purchased similar (cheaper) Leather Mic covers for high background noise environments. They have stayed secure. Trim the cords after tying them and they look not so hokey.

I have purchased similar (cheaper) Leather Mic covers for high background noise environments. They have stayed secure. Trim the cords after tying them and they look not so hokey.
Thanks for the report. Does the purported noise reduction make a difference in the fully enclosed cabin of your typical Cessna/Piper/Beech/Mooney/etc?

Thanks for the report. Does the purported noise reduction make a difference in the fully enclosed cabin of your typical Cessna/Piper/Beech/Mooney/etc?

I keep it on all the time, and notice no degraded performance when in typical cabins, not sure how it compares to a typical foam muff all by itself.

Last edited:
Anyone have any first-hand experience with this? Seems kind of hokey, but it'd be interesting if it really worked as advertised.
I have had an Oregon Aero mic muff on my QT Halo headset for years. The faux leather just recently started flaking, so I replaced it a few weeks ago with this one that appears to be identical, but a little cheaper than OA's price: https://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/10492

Note that there are two sizes, so good luck picking the right one for your application. (The other one is here: https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/10447)

My experience is that they work, but they're not a panacea. The hole in the mic muff really needs to be aligned with the mic for it to work correctly, but there's not really anything except friction to keep the mic muff (or the foam mic cover under it) from spinning around the mic. The result is that sometimes I'll start talking and can tell from my sidetone that I'm not consistently breaking squelch, so I'll have to reach up and realign it.

Still, I prefer that small hassle to the frequent squelch breaks due to my breathing or when I move my head and bring the mic into the breeze from an open window/door or a full-flowing air vent. That's why I got a whole slew of them and put them on all of my other headsets along with the one that wore out on my QT Halo--hopefully this will cut down on those same things happening when I have pax now, too.

I use the Oregon Aero mic muff. To secure it in position on the mic, I use a small black tiewrap over the end with the string.

Be sure to put the cut end of the tiewrap on the side away from your lips.

Covers like that made a significant improvement in my noisy open cockpit plane.

I didn't buy one, though, I made it from a cut off finger of an old glove, so it's real leather, not some fake stuff.

I have had one on all of my headsets and helmet for probably 10+ years. They work great in very noisy and/or open cockpits.

I tie it on quite tight, trim the ends of the elastic, and use small needle-nose pliers to tuck in the ends, to they don't stick out.

Back