Ok so clueless now

jedi93

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TS
Just had an airline pilot tell me the FAA sees what’s in front of them. I always thought the reason they wanted 3 years was to see what type of visits you’d had. Was planning to just go visit and AME and have the visit, but was told never go to an AME unless you know you’re walking out with the paper.

My question is let’s say I go to my PCP tomorrow and hypothetically have diabetes. Obviously the FAA Would know this when I fill out the paper for the first class, however if I got it under control and then went for the AME would it be any different than going to the AME and getting tested and the FAA knowing from the get go about it?

If you have a medical condition, let’s say diabetes, you are in a better position to have had the condition treated and have a history of control than at first diagnoses. If that’s what you are asking.

If you have a medical condition, let’s say diabetes, you are in a better position to have had the condition treated and have a history of control than at first diagnoses. If that’s what you are asking.

So I’m better off going to my PCP, having a full physical done including an EKG and making sure everything is ok and then go to my AME?

If you only hypothetically have diabetes, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I mean I’m 40 and in generally great health. Not overweight, been in the National Guard for almost 20 years and no other known issues.

Go get your medical.

Thanks. I will finish filling out the paperwork and apply for 1st class. I had told my CFI I wanted to go career track, but since it’s an independent CFI they had me check 3rd class, but I’ll check 1st class and go regardless and I’m changing flight instructors anyways. Thanks for the help.

Fill out the Medexpressform before you make your appointment.
It is generally like your typical insurance application form, where it askes "do you now or have you ever..." type questions.
Answer accurately within reason, Passing out once because you were seeing who could hold there breath the longest as a teenager, is not an event you should or are expected to report, unless it resulted in a hospital admission.
if all your answers are what you would expect from someone who has never had any medical conditions or hospital stays then go see the AME.
If you say Yes to just about anything that you have not already fully researched, then send Aeromedicaldoc.com (Dr. Bruce) a note, on his web site stating what happened and asking if it is and issue or not?

The problem is, things that you haven't had an issue with for 15years or when you were a kid and doesn't seem like an issue might be. And sometimes just how you report something(like what documentation you bring with you) can make the difference between getting your medical on the 1st visit or wading thorough months or years of paperwork to get it.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Thanks. I will finish filling out the paperwork and apply for 1st class. I had told my CFI I wanted to go career track, but since it’s an independent CFI they had me check 3rd class, but I’ll check 1st class and go regardless and I’m changing flight instructors anyways. Thanks for the help.

Why? The first class is going to expire in six months, then revert to third class anyways.

I’ve just always heard if you want to go to the airlines make sure you have no issues and can get a 1st class before wasting all the time and money.

It’s a great theory but nothing guarantees once you gain it that you can maintain it. ECG is the only major difference between 1st and 2d/3d class. Standards for comparison are here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/standards/

Plenty of revenue jobs don’t require the first class is the only reason I bring it up.

Just had an airline pilot tell me the FAA sees what’s in front of them. I always thought the reason they wanted 3 years was to see what type of visits you’d had. Was planning to just go visit and AME and have the visit, but was told never go to an AME unless you know you’re walking out with the paper.

My question is let’s say I go to my PCP tomorrow and hypothetically have diabetes. Obviously the FAA Would know this when I fill out the paper for the first class, however if I got it under control and then went for the AME would it be any different than going to the AME and getting tested and the FAA knowing from the get go about it?

The FAA medical is based on 99.9% medical history the in office visit is very basic physical. You have to pass a urine test they use a test strip check for sugar and protein should have none of that in your urine if your a diabetic have symptoms you can get those test strips on Amazon check it yourself don't buy the cheapest read the reviews. Want to drink good amount of water the day of test flush the kidneys. Don't drink protein drinks, or any energy drinks any of that stuff eat normal meal. No caffeine raise your BP.

They also check your BP has to be no higher then 155/95 the EKG for class 1 likely be okay there unless you had heart issues. If you have medical history then I would get a consult first with an AME that way just go over your history find out if they can issue the cert in the office or have to defer. if you go to your PC doctor that creates medical history you have to report always have to take that into account before you go to doctors.

So I’m better off going to my PCP, having a full physical done including an EKG and making sure everything is ok and then go to my AME?
So let’s go down the rabbit hole. EKG is not considered preventative medicine. So you need to have some complaint/diagnosis code attached to the ekg for billing purposes. If records get requested there will
Be those codes to contend with. Sometimes place on for mere billing purposes without ill intent.

Get to your Primary, this filled out, go to AME, both with a "within last 60 days" HBA1c and a fasting glucose (in case he can CACI it).

Attachments

• Diabetes(Oral MedicationsStatus)02.14.22.pdf
    52 KB · Views: 118
Get to your Primary, this filled out, go to AME, both with a "within last 60 days" HBA1c and a fasting glucose (in case he can CACI it).

Can’t open the file, but I do not have diabetics, it was just a hypothetical scenario.

The FAA medical is based on 99.9% medical history the in office visit is very basic physical. You have to pass a urine test they use a test strip check for sugar and protein should have none of that in your urine if your a diabetic have symptoms you can get those test strips on Amazon check it yourself don't buy the cheapest read the reviews. Want to drink good amount of water the day of test flush the kidneys. Don't drink protein drinks, or any energy drinks any of that stuff eat normal meal. No caffeine raise your BP.

They also check your BP has to be no higher then 155/95 the EKG for class 1 likely be okay there unless you had heart issues. If you have medical history then I would get a consult first with an AME that way just go over your history find out if they can issue the cert in the office or have to defer. if you go to your PC doctor that creates medical history you have to report always have to take that into account before you go to doctors.

Thanks for this. No medical history, but I will look into those strips on Amazon. Like I said I want to make sure I can get a first class medical. But then again, if it expires in 6 months then not sure I won’t to keep repeating the process until I’m ready for an airline starting from 0 hours.

Thanks for this. No medical history, but I will look into those strips on Amazon. Like I said I want to make sure I can get a first class medical. But then again, if it expires in 6 months then not sure I won’t to keep repeating the process until I’m ready for an airline starting from 0 hours.

That's what is required to be an airline pilot every 6 months over age 40 once you pass as long as you stay healthy shouldn't really change much as long as your medical history doesn't change nothing new to report.

That's what is required to be an airline pilot every 6 months over age 40 once you pass as long as you stay healthy shouldn't really change much as long as your medical history doesn't change nothing new to report.

So would you suggest going on knocking it out now and just keep it up to date as a 1st class from here on out?

If you want to fly the the airlines. I recommend getting your 1st class for the initial medical. After that I would just maintain what ever you need to do what you are currently doing. 3rd class for training, 2nd class to build hours after your commercial certificate. if you want be proactive when your 3rd class is due, just renew it as a 1st class medical.

I did a variation of this for quite a few years, always renewed as a 2nd class even though I almost ever needed it. Occasionally something would come up after it had reverted to a 3rd class (usually ferry flights), when this happened I would just renew back to my 2nd class early.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Last edited:
And the good doc was hypothetically providing you with advice.

Thank you. Again I hope I haven’t come across as an ass in any of these messages, I’m more just clueless as I don’t know anyone in aviation except the people I talk to here and on other forums.

Thank you. Again I hope I haven’t come across as an ass in any of these messages, I’m more just clueless as I don’t know anyone in aviation except the people I talk to here and on other forums.

So you wouldn't consider having a CFI as knowing someone in aviation?

What have you done in the real world to make progress towards becoming a pilot?

So you wouldn't consider having a CFI as knowing someone in aviation?

What have you done in the real world to make progress towards becoming a pilot?

In the process of getting a new CFI at only 4 hrs in. And in the world as far as making progress not much other than accumulate my 4 hours and trying to always learn something new every day from reading and asking other pilots questions.

So let’s go down the rabbit hole. EKG is not considered preventative medicine. So you need to have some complaint/diagnosis code attached to the ekg for billing purposes. If records get requested there will
Be those codes to contend with. Sometimes place on for mere billing purposes without ill intent.

I ended up in this curious loop. About six years ago I had documented cases of PSVT. I went to an electrophysiologist for Cardiac Catheter Radio Frequency Ablation. From that day on I never had another episode. But, the FAA needs an EKG six months after to prove that the treatment was successful. Actually, what was needed was a 24-hour Holter monitor test. My primary care physician ordered the test, diagnosis coded as "PSVT". Well, the six (?) lead 24-hour Holter monitor showed normal activity. Normal results, but ordered because of previous PSVT to prove I no longer have PSVT. It's odd how that works. That's just one more reason for me to hop on basic med in the next few months.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back